Notices

I'm nearly forty! How old were you when you stopped?

Old 06-09-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
glad ya made it back,auchie. going to meetings is great, but going to meetings and not drinking doesnt treat alcoholism.
its the steps we take, not the meetings we make,that does that.
wanting Gods help is great. maybe he led you to AA because He knows and knows working the steps will help you.

howz about getting a sponsor and working the steps?
do you have the big book and read it-reading the course of action?
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I've been at it again. It seems I never learn...I was away with work and a quite anxious. The barman, an Irish fella told me he never saw somebody sink a pint as quickly as me...and my colleague said I drink like a professional (not the first time a colleague has told me that, either).

Each morning I seem to wake up and say "never again!" Then I constantly invent reasons why today is my last day.

I'm going to go to church tomorrow, and pray to the Big Man for help. Then I'll go to a meeting.

I will try to work the steps.

1) “We admitted we were powerless over alcohol – that our lives had become unmanageable.” - I know this is true, though I have stopped on the odd occasions for a couple of months, once for nine months, I have been telling myself I need to stop since my early twenties and - as the title of this thread shows - I'm now nearly forty.

I have tried controlling my drinking. I know it doesn't work. I'm so weak-willed that even now, a wee voice inside my head is saying "stop tomorrow - you might as well have one last night"...and I'm checking the time to see if the shops have closed yet.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I was 40 the first time I quit. Lasted 3 years. Now I am 50 and quitting again. Something about the big decade encouraged me to re access my physical and emotional well being and set new goals for myself.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I quit about six months before my 40th birthday. Well, I quit several times before that, but six months before my 40th, I detoxed and made a commitment to my recovery.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I've been at it again. It seems I never learn...I was away with work and a quite anxious. The barman, an Irish fella told me he never saw somebody sink a pint as quickly as me...and my colleague said I drink like a professional (not the first time a colleague has told me that, either).

Each morning I seem to wake up and say "never again!" Then I constantly invent reasons why today is my last day.

I'm going to go to church tomorrow, and pray to the Big Man for help. Then I'll go to a meeting.

I will try to work the steps.

1) “We admitted we were powerless over alcohol – that our lives had become unmanageable.” - I know this is true, though I have stopped on the odd occasions for a couple of months, once for nine months, I have been telling myself I need to stop since my early twenties and - as the title of this thread shows - I'm now nearly forty.

I have tried controlling my drinking. I know it doesn't work. I'm so weak-willed that even now, a wee voice inside my head is saying "stop tomorrow - you might as well have one last night"...and I'm checking the time to see if the shops have closed yet.
I tried to 'control' my drinking by every possible way a drunk can come up with..to my surprise they never stuck that long. I'd get a few days and was king of controlled drinking. Turns out that's a lot of work and not very sustainable...weird? Seriouly though.. I've never formally taken the steps,but suggest you try it(I did,wasn't my thing). I do however try to implement the steps into my daily life and decisions now. Step 1 was a cake walk for me, once I got shoved through the doors of AA via the courts. I'm around 18mo(one night party in there) and life is wayyyy easier on all fronts! Sure there's still 'life',but it's way easier to manage with being honest with myself/others and clear mindedly do the right thing as best I can,with no regrets.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Porcetta View Post
Sent you a message

Could you be kind enough to send me a message as well?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I'm 41 and always swore I'd be done by the time I'm 40... I did get clean just before I turned 40 but it only lasted a few months.
I've been having a very extended youth, but have turned into a sad 41 year old drug addict and as my kids are getting older, realised they won't be kids forever and I don't want to miss out on their childhoods.

I've struggled with 'never again' but sadly come to the conclusion that for me it's all or nothing and if I don't close the door on this beast and lock it tight it will get its toe back in and force the damn door open again.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I drank and drugged in waves on and off for years. Finally had enough and just stopped. Well, not "just," because rehab 'n stuff, but I really am done. 14 months next week and I don't miss it at all.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:13 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

39. I've attempting stopping a number of times over the last few years. I've been drinking since I was about 18 or 19 and considered I had a problem maybe about 5 years ago.

Just recently, after weekend long binges I noticed I was getting abdominal pain around my right side, feeling like i'd been kicked in the liver, particularly if I bent over to pick something up. This worried me a lot. Everything seems fine now and I can only assume it was my gall bladder or pancreas sending some warning signs they couldn't cope. I had bloods done a year ago and surprisingly, my liver function results were fine, although they reported I had high cholesterol which the GP put down to drinking too much as my diet is not bad and I exercise.

My Mom has recently been in hospital with pancreatitis (Not through drinking) and it scared the hell out of me, seeing her in so much pain. Really hit home and is one of the many reasons I decided to stop.

Good luck with your recovery
Old 07-04-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Old 07-04-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Wow so many of us around the 40 ish age ... they do say life begins at 40.

I have been thinking that if there is any purpose at all to addiction it is to teach us that actually, life is sweet enough just as it is.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:14 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

67 Years old and thank God I finally came to my senses and saw the light! I'm feeling better physically and mentally than I have in years. In fact, I can't remember ever feeling so free in my soul and spirit. I actually LOVE being sober and I hope I have enough time left on this earth to share my recovery to others in need.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by csilvers1984 View Post
ALT
AST
Bilirubin

Those are the three that I've heard recently on my trip to the ER. My health anxiety is through the roof and you said yours have went down so it caught my attention.
so to answer the question about my Hepatic Panels- ALT, AST, Bilirubin...
I had to go back and find test results (my drs are all at the same hospital system so there is one online function where all medical reports, tests, etc are kept- very handy)

I quit 2/28/16. I had my first round of tests on 3/4/16. Note- I quit cold turkey.

Mar 4 results- bilirubin 1.2- 0 to 1.2 is normal range; AST 86 - 0-40 is normal range; AST 44 - 0-32 is normal range

By June, my results- bilirubin 0.3 - normal is 0-1.2; AST- 28 - 0-40 normal; ALT 22- 0-32 normal.

My GP hasn't done a full panel of tests since then (I am 28 mo and change sober now) but a couple of visits to my OB-GYN (this is one where I couldn't take the pill bc it negatively impacts the liver) and urgent care for a couple of things like strep - and my regular thyroid tests- have consistently shown improvement.

Like I said, I was very sick. It's a miracle that everything from my hepatic panel to my V02 (heeyyyy Miss Perfumado - mine is amazing, too ) are smack in the middle (or better) of normal.

I'm going to keep reading these posts to see where Aughie is in the journey!
Old 07-04-2018, 04:02 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Aughie - how are you? We've shared a whole lot of experiences - the most important one to each of us is our own.

One important thing I was taught early on is to look for similarites w others and not differences. I think the bottom line take away from all our answers is that everything got better sober, overall, and things that were non-alcohol related (directly) problems became ones we could handle much better.

The most important thing I was taught after accepting I was an alcoholic? Exactly what was said above - it's not about the number of meetings or willpower (ha) or any type of attendance based abstinence...it's about working a program, with a sponsor, and continuing progress while letting ourselves off the hook for any expectation of perfection. It's learning an entirely new way of living. All this is coming from an AA perspective, so others will put it into words based on their own methods and programs.

You can get and stay sober- like I probably said above, and others did too - you're alive, so you have a chance. IMO - we don't get an unlimited number. I would absolutely die - and quickly- if I ever drank again. I don't have another chance in me - no one knows if they do when they go back for more "research" and lots of people lose the game of Russian roulette.

Best to you.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Started at 15. Started stopping st 35. Still trying to stop at 45.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

*I quit 2.21.16!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I drank again yesterday!

I know I can do it, because I have stopped for nine months before. It's just really difficult at the moment. Has anybody got any advice or knows of any helpful websites?

I know not to take the first drink, and it seems really simple. It's like I lie to myself. I definitely need God's help with this...
Hi how are u doing me too had a little slip after 6days sober...today is day 2 this post is great gives me hope that i can achieve sobriety and its not too late
Hope you are well today
Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Started drinking at 18. My problem drinking began at about 29. I'm now 35. I quit 70 days ago.

The best bit about it all, is the problem goes away just by stopping drinking. It's an imminently solvable problem. Life is back to where it was before I stated drinking. I feel serene and calm.

I figured I've put enough poison into my body over the years. Time to be the best man I can be, physically, mentally and spiritually and to do that I cannot and will not drink.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

First sip at 10.
First drunk at 13 (Blacking out just about every time I got drunk until I stopped).
14- 18 Got drunk sporadically when booze became available.
18 to 29, drank alcoholically until hitting a bottom that got my attention.
At 29 went to AA; sober 31 1/2 years now.

Calling that number in the phone book and then going to that meeting was the beginning of being rocketed into the fourth dimension.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I turned 38 just last month. I've had enough month long stints of sobriety to know that I feel more mentally healthy, and enjoy life more sober. I believe that the alcohol is what causes me to become depressed. It seems so stupid that I'd choose to feel this way, but it's a vicious cycle. I feel stupid because I drink, and I drink because I feel stupid. It's my form of self-harm, along with smoking. Then I sort of hit bottom.

As I approach 40, I'm definitely also feeling older. The drinking is giving me aches and pains in the back and joints. I need longer and longer periods of sobriety before I begin to feel right again. I begin to feel so right and happy that I don't know what to do with myself, and want to party!

I'm going to need a plan to deal with feeling better. I'm not used to feeling proud or happy and don't deal well with compliments either. I'm going to have to work on those things.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Quit a few days before my 32nd birthday in January, and just had a slip-up for the first (and hopefully last) time a little over a week ago so...we'll go with 32! I've frequented these boards under different names and for different reasons for several years, and it's good to be back with a fresh start.