Blogs

Notices

I'm nearly forty! How old were you when you stopped?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I'd prefer to cold turkey but decided to use patches and the nasal spray, I know that means I am not fully quitting yet but I need to work on the habit of lighting one, and more to the point rolling one. The amount of time to roll a roll up became and well tuned ritual. For now I am getting the reflex reaction to roll and the other chemicals out of my system, then in a month I will stop with the patches.

I'm at the end of day 30 now btw xx
Missed this first time around, sorry.

You're doing well. What I have discovered with the smoking is that everybody has different advice, but people have quit using a variety of different methods. My brother stopped using e-cigs, a friend using patches, and many more with Alan Carr's book. I think cold turkey is best for me.

Originally Posted by Porcetta View Post
40. After 20 years hard drinking.

Liver damage
Hepatitis
Diabetes
Hypertension

Day 100 today
Sorry to hear that! Has there been any improvement? What's the long term prognosis? Sorry if I'm being too intrusive. Best of luck.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

41 years young here. I didn't grow up till I finally put the poison down. Wish I quit in my 30s, wish I never started, but I also wish I was 6'6"and had a nasty cross-over so there's that.

Sober life is the best life, however we all get there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lessgravity For This Useful Post:
Auchieshuggle (05-30-2018), BarbieKen (06-05-2018), janesober (06-05-2018), Rar (06-02-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
41 years young here. I didn't grow up till I finally put the poison down. Wish I quit in my 30s, wish I never started, but I also wish I was 6'6"and had a nasty cross-over so there's that.

Sober life is the best life, however we all get there.
In hindsight I wish I'd never drank, too. I'm sure we all do. I think I would have been more successful, healthier, fitter and happier had I abstained...but what's done is done. Hopefully we've got many years of sobriety to try to fine contentment and accomplish some of our goals.

How long have you been sober for? Any health issues?
The Following User Says Thank You to Auchieshuggle For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I quit when I was 43. I started drinking daily when I was about 17 so the better part of 2 and a half decades. For the last phase of my drinking, which was probably about 6-8 years worth, if I wasn't at work or asleep I was drinking. I left work about 3:30pm every day and drank until I fell asleep or passed out, and on weekends or days off work I started drinking as soon as I could stomach a beer in the morning and went all day long.

I had a long list of associated problems due to my drinking:

- High Blood Pressure/Pulse/heart palpitations
- GI issues (GERD, GI spasms, dry heaves almost every day, etc )
- Overweight
- Diagnosed ( after the fact ) GAD and health anxiety
- Elevated liver enzymes, bruised easily, anemic ( likely due to poor nutrition ).

I can happily say that pretty much all of those problems are either gone or managed now. Quitting drinking was a the major factor, but also improving my diet ( used to drink my dinner ) and getting some exercises helped out a lot too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScottFromWI For This Useful Post:
Auchieshuggle (05-30-2018), BarbieKen (06-05-2018), Dee74 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I quit when I was 43. I started drinking daily when I was about 17 so the better part of 2 and a half decades. For the last phase of my drinking, which was probably about 6-8 years worth, if I wasn't at work or asleep I was drinking. I left work about 3:30pm every day and drank until I fell asleep or passed out, and on weekends or days off work I started drinking as soon as I could stomach a beer in the morning and went all day long.

I had a long list of associated problems due to my drinking:

- High Blood Pressure/Pulse/heart palpitations
- GI issues (GERD, GI spasms, dry heaves almost every day, etc )
- Overweight
- Diagnosed ( after the fact ) GAD and health anxiety
- Elevated liver enzymes, bruised easily, anemic ( likely due to poor nutrition ).

I can happily say that pretty much all of those problems are either gone or managed now. Quitting drinking was a the major factor, but also improving my diet ( used to drink my dinner ) and getting some exercises helped out a lot too.
Hi Scott,

Thanks very much for your reply. I was wondering how long it took for your health to improve?

As I have mentioned previously in this thread, I have an anxiety disorder too. I understand many of us do, and alcohol is our way of self-medicating.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auchieshuggle For This Useful Post:
Branches (07-29-2018), Dee74 (05-30-2018), tomsteve (06-06-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

My last drunk was on my 40th Birthday. My enzemes too were raised, thankfully they have returned back to normal, no scarring. Blessed Be x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueberry2015 For This Useful Post:
Auchieshuggle (06-02-2018), Dee74 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
In hindsight I wish I'd never drank, too. I'm sure we all do. I think I would have been more successful, healthier, fitter and happier had I abstained...but what's done is done. Hopefully we've got many years of sobriety to try to fine contentment and accomplish some of our goals.

How long have you been sober for? Any health issues?
Almost 50 days, finally. After the see saw we all rode for so long.

No health issues at all besides terminal frustration at burning away so many years while still drinking.

Couldn't agree more - we still have plenty of time to make up for it, can only do so sober.
The Following User Says Thank You to lessgravity For This Useful Post:
Auchieshuggle (06-02-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Started as a teenager, drank heavily until I married at 24 and toned it down due to kids but still found the odd weekend to get plastered. Started again in my 30's and quit over 5 years ago when I was 46. Lost everything in a divorce from my first marriage then rebuilt my life and damn near lost my second wife. Thankfully I always paid my child support, had my kids half the time and never lost that relationship. It's never too early or late to stop, my life and my relationships are real and they're amazing! I'm even friends with my ex-wife lol There are lots of stories on the board the same as mine and when people say "it keeps getting better" listen to them because it's the truth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alva For This Useful Post:
Auchieshuggle (06-02-2018), BarbieKen (06-05-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I drugged and drank for a total of 25 years. Got sober a couple months shy of my 41st birthday.
You are never too old to start living a true, meaningful life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunflowerlife For This Useful Post:
Auchieshuggle (06-02-2018), BarbieKen (06-05-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm so angry with myself!

I came out of work on Thursday, tired and stressed after a hard, and very productive, day's work. I was itching for a drink and the 'little devil' inside my head suggested it was a reasonable idea - "Go on. You've given your liver a wee break, accomplished all your goals in work this week, it's pay day and a new month tomorrow! A new start."

To cut a long story short, today is now day two again! I've nobody to blame but myself, obviously - only I can stop drinking...it's just that I can't seem to.

Anyway, I'm trying to not let my slip-up deter me.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I drank again yesterday!

I know I can do it, because I have stopped for nine months before. It's just really difficult at the moment. Has anybody got any advice or knows of any helpful websites?

I know not to take the first drink, and it seems really simple. It's like I lie to myself. I definitely need God's help with this...
Old 06-03-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Couple things-
my mom started her alcoholic drinking at 42. I was 11 then; for most of my teens and through college she was on and off a recovery plan. She had a relapse when I was 29. So technically, she has been sober almost 13 yrs this time (I think). She's 72 now so she's faced certain problems with aging and over these years, some of her struggles have been possibly a result of her years of drinking. Or not.

More specifically to you- I quit at 39 and a half after probably a 7-8 year VER2Y hard drinking life. I am now 27+ mo sober and will turn 42 this summer. My live was direly close to cirrhosis but normalized around 90-100 days. There are certain things like meds I can't take bc of the history of liver damage; I am sure I lost brain cells that haven't reformed. I am very active but also get very tired. I am sure there are other things that alcohol- or entering my 40s- contributed to as far as my physical and mental health now.

The bottom line is nothing will get better if you don't quit.

Your experience is going to be your own, as far as your health, so we can only offer our experiences.

A team of great drs- GP, psych, liver and now ortho for a recent back injury- is central to maintaining the good, healthy life (my habits and such are strong plusses too).

Being sober means you've got a chance to live the best life possible NOW. I hope you go for it. IMO if you're still alive, it can only get better.
Do you recall what your liver levels were before you quit drinking?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:03 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by csilvers1984 View Post
Do you recall what your liver levels were before you quit drinking?
Which number is that in the results? Bilirubin?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Porcetta View Post
Which number is that in the results? Bilirubin?
ALT
AST
Bilirubin

Those are the three that I've heard recently on my trip to the ER. My health anxiety is through the roof and you said yours have went down so it caught my attention.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

55. 5-1/2 years later still doing the do. It's never, ever too late to improve your life, right?
Bobbi
The Following User Says Thank You to BarbieKen For This Useful Post:
Auchieshuggle (06-09-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by csilvers1984 View Post
ALT
AST
Bilirubin

Those are the three that I've heard recently on my trip to the ER. My health anxiety is through the roof and you said yours have went down so it caught my attention.
Sent you a message
Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Yaaaaaay

Yaaaaaay...320 dayz clean...48yo now...x 2 grow up. My drinking did some damage, but l win...l win. Confident in God to do what he did for left hip replacement to do n right hip on Friday... good that he sees fit for me to experience the real me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steeelhear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Now

Once l put the bottle/rubbing alcohol/mouthwash/vanilla extract down, my physical AND mental/spiritual health improved instantly...as if it was just waiting patiently on me to make an appearance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steeelhear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

36 for me
Drank heavily for about 15 years.
I was a quivering mess in the end. Shook so bad I couldn't eat with spoon.
The Following User Says Thank You to gettingsmarter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I drank again yesterday!

I know I can do it, because I have stopped for nine months before. It's just really difficult at the moment. Has anybody got any advice or knows of any helpful websites?

I know not to take the first drink, and it seems really simple. It's like I lie to myself. I definitely need God's help with this...

glad ya made it back,auchie. going to meetings is great, but going to meetings and not drinking doesnt treat alcoholism.
its the steps we take, not the meetings we make,that does that.
wanting Gods help is great. maybe he led you to AA because He knows and knows working the steps will help you.

howz about getting a sponsor and working the steps?
do you have the big book and read it-reading the course of action?