Notices

I'm nearly forty! How old were you when you stopped?

Old 05-27-2018, 11:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks to everybody who has replied! This is the start of day two. I have found a meeting which I will go to later. Just going to take it a day at a time.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

7 months ago for complete abstinence. About a year before that with next to no alcohol. I became serious about quitting completely in my 40's.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:00 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Auchieshuggle - I was exactly 50. I spent 35 of those years drinking heavily - the last part being a litre of vodka, (at least), and wine everyday. I was tested last December and had pretty much shot my body to smithereens but I had a test last week, (nearly 6 sober months later), and it's all functioning normally now as far as they can tell. I'm a very, very lucky lass and I won't ever take that for granted again. It's never too late to give yourself a shot at the best life you can have. Never. I wish you all the best and don't wait to stop - I wish I had your sense 10 years ago! Good luck and let us know how you're getting on x
Old 05-28-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

44, my slide into alcohoism started slowly around 10 years ago, first 3 years was more social but started sneaking mouthfuls of vodka from friends fridges along with what I was publically drinking, next 2 years started drinking more at home till it was most nights of the week, 5 years I lost my licence from a DUI. You would have thought that would have shocked me out of it...I just got worse as I couldn't drive for 14 months, live in the country so I started drinking more, in the day and other times that I wouldn't have done so before. The next 5 years I had many binges, my consumption went up, started having spirits too. I work for myself and have quite a good job, but some days would work from home and start drinking at 9am, there are a few occasions that I had a meeting in the afternoon and quite frankly I was off my face, a lot of people think I am a bit out there in a good way anyhow so didn't notice but I know that a couple could tell I wasn't my "usual self".

I found SR about 3 weeks before I quit, lurked and didn't post. On 29th April I drank 2 bottles of wine and a small bottle of vodka, made comments on instagram that were just not on, rang an old booty call that came over who is an ar$se and had disrespected me in the past, fell over multiple times breaking ornaments and plates in the kitchen and tripped up upstairs with a full glass of red that was thrown all over the wall (which now needs re-painting) and fell out with my neighbour who asked me to turn my music down and I texted some stuff back that was uncalled for. I woke up in the morning with a guy in my bed that I didn't like, my house was a bombsite, I felt like hell, I checked my phone and felt sick.....

That is when I decided to post on SR and commit to sobriety. I'd not be where I am today if it wasn't for the support and advice I have received off everyone here and I am truly grateful for that!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Rar

I thought I was drinking too much at age 64 when I first joined SR in 2014. I was prompted to join when a sleep study with blood work revealed elevated liver enzymes. I had periods of abstinence and moderation since then, during which my alcohol consumption predictably increased. I declared another Day 1 in January, 2018 with a brief relapse 18 days ago. I'm 68 now.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

My alcoholism waxed and waned many times over 30 years steady getting worse as I aged. But finally, I saw the light and started the fight for true sobriety at 61, relapsing several times until the age of 63 when I became permanently sober.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yixi View Post
Hi Auchieshuggle - I was exactly 50. I spent 35 of those years drinking heavily - the last part being a litre of vodka, (at least), and wine everyday. I was tested last December and had pretty much shot my body to smithereens but I had a test last week, (nearly 6 sober months later), and it's all functioning normally now as far as they can tell. I'm a very, very lucky lass and I won't ever take that for granted again. It's never too late to give yourself a shot at the best life you can have. Never. I wish you all the best and don't wait to stop - I wish I had your sense 10 years ago! Good luck and let us know how you're getting on x
Just back from a meeting and heard somebody say "be grateful for what you have and what you don't have!" Thanks for sharing, best of luck for the future.

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
44, my slide into alcohoism started slowly around 10 years ago, first 3 years was more social but started sneaking mouthfuls of vodka from friends fridges along with what I was publically drinking, next 2 years started drinking more at home till it was most nights of the week, 5 years I lost my licence from a DUI. You would have thought that would have shocked me out of it...I just got worse as I couldn't drive for 14 months, live in the country so I started drinking more, in the day and other times that I wouldn't have done so before. The next 5 years I had many binges, my consumption went up, started having spirits too. I work for myself and have quite a good job, but some days would work from home and start drinking at 9am, there are a few occasions that I had a meeting in the afternoon and quite frankly I was off my face, a lot of people think I am a bit out there in a good way anyhow so didn't notice but I know that a couple could tell I wasn't my "usual self".

I found SR about 3 weeks before I quit, lurked and didn't post. On 29th April I drank 2 bottles of wine and a small bottle of vodka, made comments on instagram that were just not on, rang an old booty call that came over who is an ar$se and had disrespected me in the past, fell over multiple times breaking ornaments and plates in the kitchen and tripped up upstairs with a full glass of red that was thrown all over the wall (which now needs re-painting) and fell out with my neighbour who asked me to turn my music down and I texted some stuff back that was uncalled for. I woke up in the morning with a guy in my bed that I didn't like, my house was a bombsite, I felt like hell, I checked my phone and felt sick.....

That is when I decided to post on SR and commit to sobriety. I'd not be where I am today if it wasn't for the support and advice I have received off everyone here and I am truly grateful for that!
Ach, I have many stories like that too! I have made an arse out of myself countless times, and lost many friends and ruined a number of relationships. Well done for making that change! Good luck for the future.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I finally achieved sobriety at age 45. Again, it's never too late to start living better. When I first got sober this was a big hang up for me. Ah man, why didn't I stop five years ago I kept telling myself. But you have to stop the pity party. It's never too late. And I still believe my body isn't fully recovered but it has recovered quite a bit. Start today and just make it your job to stay sober one day at a time. Good luck, and continue to reach out for support. You will find many people that have been through the same thing you have
Old 05-28-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

33. Liver failure/hepatic encelaphathy. 4 years clean.

~Bunnez
Old 05-28-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunnezjp View Post
33. Liver failure/hepatic encelaphathy. 4 years clean.

~Bunnez
Wow! Did you have a transplant? What happened? How are you now?
Old 05-29-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Day three almost completed! So far, so good...though I wasn't able to stop smoking , as I had hoped, along with the booze. I capitulated yesterday and bought twenty fags! However, it's the alcohol that causes most of the damage, in the quantities that I drink at least, and that's what I'm focussing on at the moment.

I tried getting to another meeting tonight, but fell asleep! All though I've been waking up relatively refreshed, I feel extremely tired a lot of the time.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

You do right Auchieshuggle! I got 28 days under my belt before trying to quit the roll ups, just couldn't do both at the same time and like you decided the booze had to come first on the battle list. I am on 2.5 days without a smoke after 30 years of serious smoking...it's chuffing hard lol but I am powering on with it. Already last night noticed that I wasn't wheezing when I was trying to get to sleep and no coughing before bed or first thing in the morning.

Day 3 and you're doing great, keep it up, the rewards are worth it 10 fold! xx
Old 05-29-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
You do right Auchieshuggle! I got 28 days under my belt before trying to quit the roll ups, just couldn't do both at the same time and like you decided the booze had to come first on the battle list. I am on 2.5 days without a smoke after 30 years of serious smoking...it's chuffing hard lol but I am powering on with it. Already last night noticed that I wasn't wheezing when I was trying to get to sleep and no coughing before bed or first thing in the morning.

Day 3 and you're doing great, keep it up, the rewards are worth it 10 fold! xx
Thanks, MantaLady! Congratulations on reaching day 28! Let me know how you get on with the ciggies. Are you using nicotine replacement, hypnotherapy or any of the other methods? Or just cold turkey?
Old 05-29-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
AA Member

1-16-1992

sober and very active in aa the whole time

im the guy with emotional and mental disorders that the book talks about

ive done the 12 steps so i try to live by their principles

im very selfish and self- centered and thats the real problem!

for me to divorce myself from the program of aa is a choice to drink

Old 05-29-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hiya Auchieshuggle,

I'm almost 39 years old and on day six after frequent binging for the last two years. My binging was usually three times a week with a "never again" after each binge. I made it two, three weeks a few times within that period. Prior to the binging pattern I had been a pretty much daily drinker for a long time (~8 years of increasing amounts).

My recent blood work was okay with liver function in the normal range for all values ... I know that is not conclusive by itself but Doctor didn't think further investigation was warranted based on my interview with her so I am happy to stop worrying for now and just focus on building new sober habits. I don't expect I will be able to dodge too many more bullets!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
Thanks, MantaLady! Congratulations on reaching day 28! Let me know how you get on with the ciggies. Are you using nicotine replacement, hypnotherapy or any of the other methods? Or just cold turkey?
I'd prefer to cold turkey but decided to use patches and the nasal spray, I know that means I am not fully quitting yet but I need to work on the habit of lighting one, and more to the point rolling one. The amount of time to roll a roll up became and well tuned ritual. For now I am getting the reflex reaction to roll and the other chemicals out of my system, then in a month I will stop with the patches.

I'm at the end of day 30 now btw xx
Old 05-29-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I was exhausted most of the 1st two weeks. That's temporary, your energy level will gradually increase.
Congrats on Day 3! Keep it up, commit to it one day at a time.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Manta!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post

1-16-1992

sober and very active in aa the whole time

im the guy with emotional and mental disorders that the book talks about

ive done the 12 steps so i try to live by their principles

im very selfish and self- centered and thats the real problem!

for me to divorce myself from the program of aa is a choice to drink

I'm so glad to hear AA has worked for you. I think it's pretty good too. When I had a nine month spell of sobriety, five years ago, it was AA that was the catalyst. Why I ever stopped going to meetings, I don't know. However I am grateful for a second chance.

I was diagnosed with a particularly debilitating anxiety disorder around twelve years ago, so I know what mental illness is like. Stay strong! I wish you well, my friend.

PS - I love your signature, btw! It's so true. I'm ashamed to say that I'm eaten up with resentment and self-pity, and really I am not so badly off. The world's not always fair, and I need to accept life's ups and downs.

Originally Posted by Spartanman View Post
Hiya Auchieshuggle,

I'm almost 39 years old and on day six after frequent binging for the last two years. My binging was usually three times a week with a "never again" after each binge. I made it two, three weeks a few times within that period. Prior to the binging pattern I had been a pretty much daily drinker for a long time (~8 years of increasing amounts).

My recent blood work was okay with liver function in the normal range for all values ... I know that is not conclusive by itself but Doctor didn't think further investigation was warranted based on my interview with her so I am happy to stop worrying for now and just focus on building new sober habits. I don't expect I will be able to dodge too many more bullets!
Glad to read that your bloods are okay. Hang in there! I have a twenty-five year history of alcohol abuse, and I know how difficult it can be to resist temptation. I do find my 'need' for alcohol diminishes significantly after around ten days to two weeks, though I sometimes get these intense cravings where I romanticise alcohol and a little voice says "it wasn't always so bad...you had good times drinking too...you've managed to prove you have self-control...you can have a couple, stop at three, maybe, etc." I think it's when I get to that stage that I will really need the meetings. Right now I still feel slightly ill, and have that desire to stop.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

40. After 20 years hard drinking.

Liver damage
Hepatitis
Diabetes
Hypertension

Day 100 today