Notices

Jekyll and Hyde

Old 05-27-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jekyll and Hyde

At the moment I feel like I'm two different people and I can switch between them at the drop of a hat. A Jekyll and Hyde. I can go from complete tranquility, to a fiery rage. Like there's no in-between.

I am hoping this is a normal part of the drying process, and not something I've been masking with alcohol for years.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ups and downs are very very common. An emotional rollercoaster is a phrase used a lot.

I found the longer I stayed sober tho, the more emotionally constant I become - stick with it, 16

D
Old 05-27-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi 16. I think you mentioned you had a Drs appointment coming up soon and were hoping to get into a CBT class or therapy. I hope so. Someone mentioned in your last thread that there are several books on CBT and/or Anger management. Did you find any? Also what about googling YouTube for some self help on anger management? Maybe a couple of videos will help.

One of my big triggers is anger (at my husband). I could probably do well following my own advice and checking them out too.

As Dee points out, our emotions are all over the place during these early days, but nonetheless, although they may calm down, they'll probably remain a trigger unless dealt with.

Hang in there - you're doing awesome.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was pretty angry too. I show my anger and frustration by crying though. (I'm female) - not sure that's any better, but there it is. Cried for a month at everything anyone said to me.

It gets better. I worked on why I let other people bother me - I read a lot of codependency stuff many years ago and that really helped. So did the Bible and other spiritual books.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At first my emotions were all over the place and I’m not an emotional person. It all gradually started to even out though. I think it was a few months for me.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

tell me about it.

Being an explosive person i am still learning how to control my anger in any situation. Especially towards my family.

I use it as a lesson in self-restraint. No one needs to hear my tirades.

Or

A tirade can be shortened into a diplomatic and constructive argument or debate with the right practice.

that's what I am working on atm.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renvate View Post
A tirade can be shortened into a diplomatic and constructive argument or debate with the right practice.
Ha, I like that!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Booze disconnected me from my emotions. I drank waaay longer than 16y. One minute I will laugh, then cry- then feel numb. It takes time and for me, professional help. GP- for depression, psychologist- CBT to cope with life...counselor for the addiction, as well as here and meetings.
Support to you.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was emotionally volatile at the start but after 29 months things have improved a lot. I see a therapist weekly and he's been a big help in getting my feelings sorted out. Wishing you all the best on this sober journey--and it can def be a rollercoaster at times! ��