Notices

Booze cravings and support

Old 05-25-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Booze cravings and support

I was in a support group- but for various reasons it's just not for me anymore. I haven't been to AA, I don't really see it being my thing either. I like the internet support because you can be open and honest and no one knows you. I've been having a few cravings the past two days, but I've fought them well. I just find it a pain when you say to friends I'm really craving alcohol, and they brush it off or sort of ignore you. I'm kind of hoping that they'd say you've no need for it etc etc like support. But they don't know what it's like, so they don't.

I know how to beat my cravings, and have resisted well. I just think I'd like people to talk to about it though. The people in my area aren't really like me. It's a small town so you can imagine what things are like. And I'm a bit of an outsider because I've been away and got myself educated etc. I'm not taking away from these people at all but their lives are very different to mine so I can't relate to them at all for support. Do you find online support useful?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's why we are all here I think!

Yes, this place is incredibly supportive. I think I've reached sobriety at least a lot in part to my experiences here.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Stars. This forum is one of the best places I have ever found. You will find immense, non judgemental support here. There is also a wealth of information. Welcome. Glad you are here.

Do you have a recovery plan? It could include an action list of things that can distract you when you feel the urge to drink. Mine has a long list of reasons why I don't want to drink. It also has reminders of what is awaiting me if I drink and all that I could lose. Hopefully somebody will post the link to the recovery plan thread-i still don't know how to post a working link.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's good. Maybe I could talk more on here then when I am having issues. It might help me more.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Chase 01 I've been on here a while. I dip in and out. I am keeping very active, I have picked up new hobbies, and went back to some old. I have good friends around me. I have a few goals in mind too.

Going off alcohol has completely changed my life, from leaving a partner of almost five years to moving to a new house. Having a new job etc all positive stuff. But the breakup thing and my future can make my head spin a bit and make me more fragile. But I'm keeping at it!

I find this great weather which we normally don't see can make the cravings go up a bit
Old 05-25-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stars, it sounds like you are definitely on the right track. When you start getting those good weather urges come here and post first. Just stick around long enough to get some responses.

Glad you are back. Keep posting!
Old 05-25-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starsabove32 View Post
I haven't been to AA, I don't really see it being my thing either. I like the internet support because you can be open and honest and no one knows you.
It sounds like you know what to do, but are making excuses for it. The second letter of AA is there for a reason, Anonomus You walk in the door, sit down, and that's it.
You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain to just go to one
Old 05-25-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

The people in my area aren't really like me. It's a small town so you can imagine what things are like. And I'm a bit of an outsider because I've been away and got myself educated etc. I'm not taking away from these people at all but their lives are very different to mine so I can't relate to them at all for support.
I am in a very similar situation, I live in a small village in the north UK so absolutely get where you are at. I found the support here at SR vital to getting as far as I have. It's a great community and reading and becoming part of it, with people who understand and have walked a mile in my shoes, well, I can't put a price on that for what SR has done for me. I am able to be more honest and open up here which means I feel I am really tackling the issues at hand and not skirting round it. I get support when I am down, praise and love when I have done well or gotten through a tough day, and tough talk when I need it.

So, in answer to your question, yes, online support has been pivotal to my success in sobriety to date and I am forever grateful to have found this place. Keep strong and keep fighting, post here as often as you need, there is no such thing as a silly question, you don't need to pretend everything is all right when it's not, we all have been there. It's a beautiful place here and you're never alone in this xx
Old 05-25-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
It sounds like you know what to do, but are making excuses for it. The second letter of AA is there for a reason, Anonomus You walk in the door, sit down, and that's it.
You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain to just go to one
It's not really anonymous when you live in an area so small, you practically know everyone 😂🤣😂 I get what you're saying though.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's not really anonymous when you live in an area so small, you practically know everyone <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_32.png);background-position:59.9882491186839% 61.98589894242068%;background-size:5418.75% 5418.75%" data-codepoints="1f602"></span></span><span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_32.png);background-position:75.96944770857814% 77.96709753231492%;background-size:5418.75% 5418.75%" data-codepoints="1f923"></span></span><span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_32.png);background-position:59.9882491186839% 61.98589894242068%;background-size:5418.75% 5418.75%" data-codepoints="1f602"></span></span> I get what you're saying though.
AA keeps things anonymous. Your small town liquor store that you're likely one of their best customers at, has no obligation not to gossip.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get that, but you don't get my point. I don't want to go somewhere people know me. Regardless of the "anonymous A" it is a small town. I am happy with online. AA might work for some people, and for others it doesn't at all. And I never went to a liquor store 😂 I'm not worried about people gossiping and I don't want to go into the reasons that has put me off groups in my town, but my question is about online support. The AA aspect is an entirely different conversation altogether.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

@Mantalady

Thank you for being able to relate! It's just more comfortable for me at the minute to use online support. Actually the last meeting , of the support group I went to made me want to drink. It was so depressing, and there was a girl there that I really don't gel with at all. I really didn't want to speak in front of her. I had to leave early. I'd been to 5 or 6 before it, and it was just the same thing every week. I like things to be more diverse. Thanks for your message 😁😁
Old 05-25-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

The UK could fit into Texas 3 times, that is how small it is and we don’t really have liquor stores, just very large supermarkets mostly where there is little chance of you getting noticed buying booze regularly. We also don’t have lots of AA meetings to choose from unless your in London. I agree s32, AA is not for me either.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
The UK could fit into Texas 3 times, that is how small it is and we don’t really have liquor stores, just very large supermarkets mostly where there is little chance of you getting noticed buying booze regularly. We also don’t have lots of AA meetings to choose from unless your in London. I agree s32, AA is not for me either.
And I'm from Northern Ireland, which is even smaller again 😂😂
Old 05-25-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

^^ Great posts! Every time you walk into the small town liquor store, they are talking, yet you keep trying to justify it with denial (welcome to alcoholism)
Old 05-25-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

You saying we’re in denial or have I just misunderstood you forward?
Old 05-25-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Forward. Whatever man. I didn't go to a liquor store, because I rarely drank at home. I didn't need to buy bottles from any shop infact. These people that try and force God and AA down your throat make me so angry. There's more than one way to deal with it. And denial, don't make me laugh. I don't drink anymore, but I have cravings. Please just stop, because you are being ridiculously self righteous because someone doesn't agree with what you've said. Seriously, your comments are unhelpful and not supportive.

To be honest Mantalady I think they've made up their own narrative, and not followed ours. But I'm getting into no further debate with them. Positive vibes only 😎