Notices

Feel guilty for driving new car to AA meeting...

Old 05-26-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rebellovw View Post
Yep that makes sense - and I remember the sensitivity when I was drinking - the smallest emergencies- were such big deals. It is nice to approach an emergency (such as something from work which I'm supposed to handle) calm and rational and just work it whereas before I would push back and panic.

I had a great drive today to Jerome AZ (winding roads) to get some sandwiches.
Are you spending the night?

Dubbed the largest ghost town in the USA, Jerome has a long and storied history of being a copper mining camp.

https://trip101.com/article/best-things-to-do-jerome-az
Old 05-26-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle1944 View Post
I also meant to share, rebellovw, as Kris Kristofferson lyrics from Me and Bobby McGee, “Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose” If one has no fear of loss, they are free.

Fear of loss of money, property and prestige is being caught -up in the illusion of power. People die and are buried, not money and property, but what’s left is prestige that by far is the most insidious due to the fear of not saving face, looking good, even after death, thus, some insist that their epitaph be on their tombstone. In this context, I began to learn years ago that what others think of me, is none of my business, unless they make it my business. I have no control over what others think. One wouldn’t be so concerned about what others think of them, if they realized that others are thinking about themselves the vast majority of the time!
So true.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Are you spending the night?
Nope - just there and back to hit my favorite Deli - only place around where you can get a big roast beef sandwich on a nice roll.

Man though that place screams - have a drink! I love it - and wanted to live there - but now - no way!

I'm in Prescott.

Thanks,
Old 05-26-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

People like that are exactly why I'm not an AA guy - that comment was not only uncalled for, but rather snarky. He's probably jealous, but he could have kept his mouth shut.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grayghost1965 View Post
People like that are exactly why I'm not an AA guy - that comment was not only uncalled for, but rather snarky. He's probably jealous, but he could have kept his mouth shut.
To be fair that's not the norm in AA or at least that has not been my experience.

I've found a majority of members do mean well.

However, there are unhappy people in AA. Some with lengthy sobriety who can be quite vocal in their opinions and quick with the snide remarks.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

rebellovw, what you wrote below from my point of view is recovery!!

I had a touch of the spirit two weeks ago during the death of my older brother. My older brother was 70 and an alcoholic diabetic - yellow skin/yellow eyes. Two weeks ago I was walking my dogs thinking - ok - I've spoken with him there is no need for me to fly down and see him and watch him die. I've done my part. Then the idea popped into my head while walking the dogs (which I do for meditation)- hey drive down - it is only 12 hours- make a trip out of it - by yourself - to explore your sobriety. And I did -it was one of the greatest (I may be exaggerating - but i think not) trips of my life - being sober, alone and going through the death and talking and connecting with my other family members (opening up to them and being honest) was absolutely wonderful. I never would have done this drinking.

BTW, my father died at 84 as a result of complications due to of diabetes and alcoholism. He was very smart, an intellectual, but he was shame based from childhood, due to most of his life keeping a secret that he was half American Indian (he passed for white).

The purpose of the 12 steps is to get from step 1 to step 2 and 3. The second and third steps are one step and is not taken as is the other steps, it’s the destination, by taking steps 4 through 9, 10 is a continuum.

I’m as sick as my secrets 4th and 5th steps and by the 9th step, going into the 10th I was restored to sanity. Page 84, from the text Alcoholics Anonymous, “And we cease fighting anything or anyone even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned”.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

rebellow,
re the sponsor's comment, it seems so simple to me: ask him what he meant by the comment and why he made it and hear him.
after you have heard him, you can share how it affected you, and why. or not.
to me, it was and is important to be able to ask and listen with the person i am ultimately needing to develop some trust with. i don't know how to do that without those conversations.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

It isn't a subtle car at all - its a 2018 Mustang GT black 19inch wheels - it screems obscenities. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I love it.
I think it’s subtle until you make the exhaust louder

I have a GT as well but, it’s an 06. Congrats on the car, promotion and your sobriety!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JC-NY View Post
I think it’s subtle until you make the exhaust louder

I have a GT as well but, it’s an 06. Congrats on the car, promotion and your sobriety!
When I was driving it today on the twisty road "Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath came on - it was natural.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:43 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Yeah..I'll 2nd the ehxaust and throw the idea of a supercharger out there too. That should really get his attention and put a big smile on your face.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:46 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Yeah..I'll 2nd the ehxaust and throw the idea of a supercharger out there too. That should really get his attention and put a big smile on your face.
If you had access to my Chrome browser history for today - you would see a search on Roush Supercharger - and NO - I'm not doing it - no no no.

Hhaahaaa.

I'm 52 and 52 year olds do not need that much HP. or?
Old 05-26-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Back to who has what in the fellowship...

I know a fellow who while in his early 40`s inherited a lot of money after his parents died. I never asked how much but he stopped working ten years ago and is retired.

However, AA members sometimes ask what he does for a living... so he made up stories about between jobs or starting a business. He felt embarrassed mentioning the money..

Interestingly I copped a resentment towards the guy but it wasn't the money. He wouldn't stop bugging about getting together on the weekend or after a meetings. (He`s divorced/lonely.)

But my plate is full and I wasn't going to feel sorry for him because he is bored in retirement.

The last time we spoke I suggested perhaps he take up golf or do some volunteer work.

Don`t know if he did or not because the word is he stopped coming to meetings.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:15 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Back to who has what in the fellowship...

I know a fellow who while in his early 40`s inherited a lot of money after his parents died. I never asked how much but he stopped working ten years ago and is retired.

However, AA members sometimes ask what he does for a living... so he made up stories about between jobs or starting a business. He felt embarrassed mentioning the money..

Interestingly I copped a resentment towards the guy but it wasn't the money. He wouldn't stop bugging about getting together on the weekend or after a meetings. (He`s divorced/lonely.)

But my plate is full and I wasn't going to feel sorry for him because he is bored in retirement.

The last time we spoke I suggested perhaps he take up golf or do some volunteer work.

Don`t know if he did or not because the word is he stopped coming to meetings.
I mentioned to my sponsor yesterday that he should look into volunteer work to fill his idle days - he seemed open to it.

As far as what I have - I do have a fancy car - other than that - I'm very responsible financially (boglehead here) and have ambitions of a second career in retirement to make ends meet where I can be of help to others. I look forward to this service role.

Thanks,
Old 05-26-2018, 09:49 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

People resent success.

Human nature.

I'm jelly you have a fun car. I have a little Volvo C30 that I love the hell out of. Switching to real estate sales and need a sensible sedan. The Volvo is a little couple with a tiny back seat, gets horrible gas mileage, is a stick, and it's orange.

Plus money's tight after a year of recovery.

Looks like maybe a Kia...or (gulp) a Camry.

Enjoy the 'stang!
Old 05-30-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
AA Member

my newcomer car in 1991

1970 AAR 'cuda very cool

in my first year all i did was go to meetings and not drink which is slightly better than worthless because theres no program of recovery

my car at my bottom with a year sober after getting thrown into a locked psych ward 5150

then i became willing to follow direction

meetings
sponsor
steps
service
higher power

Old 05-30-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
People resent success.

Human nature.

I'm jelly you have a fun car. I have a little Volvo C30 that I love the hell out of. Switching to real estate sales and need a sensible sedan. The Volvo is a little couple with a tiny back seat, gets horrible gas mileage, is a stick, and it's orange.

Plus money's tight after a year of recovery.

Looks like maybe a Kia...or (gulp) a Camry.

Enjoy the 'stang!
The new camrys look nice. I was looking at them for my daughter,but she's 'my kid' and wants to stay sports car and offroad truck with no car payment.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks SWB.

Thanks Porcetta.

It isn't a subtle car at all - its a 2018 Mustang GT black 19inch wheels - it screems obscenities. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I love it.
Don’t worry. I don’t think anyone will be jealous over a Mustang.

Just kidding
Old 05-31-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Buyer's remorse is common and likely driven by a lot of factors. For us alcoholics I suspect we're particularly susceptible.

Good on you for getting it out in the open and not just pushing it down. It's a fine line between letting ourselves and our abilities shine in the open light vs. letting our egos run a-muck. Especially for us.

Seems to me as long as you stay mindful of it and consider it with a healthy dose of introspection you'll be fine.

Don't be ashamed of success. Ever.

Best-

B
Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thanks SWB.

Thanks Porcetta.

My biz partner and good friend just bought one of these. He has wanted one all his life. He's 49 and the most humble guy ive ever met - and he is actually a sport icon in this country.
Ford mustang is recognized as car guys car.. nobody thinks showoff.

A lambo would have the reaction u think your getting. Dont sweat it, enjoy it!