Notices

Mom’s of SR

Old 05-27-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!! It’s a lazy Sunday here. I need to get my tush in gar though and make some pretzel hamburger buns for dinner tonight. Sitting on the couch sounds so much more appealing though 😝

Hop you all are having a wonderful Sunday!
Old 05-27-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am grateful that all four of my girls are in happy relationships. I love my three son in law's and my youngest's boyfriend.

Took the fur kids for a nice walk this morning. I always enjoy our dog walks. I like to see them sniffing everything carefully. I call it 'checking their peemail'.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Agreed on the gratitude I have for how much my parents love my husband; and vice versa with my in laws loving me.

Been a lazy day here too, and I haven't been checking my phone! I have a couple of sponsees who are not being in as much contact as usual/we agreed, and while I am confident in their sobriety from when we do check in, I'm having to deliberately let there be no contact if they aren't initiating it, at least for today.....the hard part about being a sponsor is that you can't do it for someone!

I think we are going lazy for dinner - my husband is going to his usual Sun nigh AA mtg and we will likely do take out pizza and salad. I should eat just the salad part bc my late night sweet eating has been out of control. Back injury and PT is not the same quality of exercise as my usual yoga!

Enjoy our evenings, ladies. Take care.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Just saying hi moms! And I was grateful for the bump earlier today from Gilmer. Which my iPad almost auto corrected to “Gilberto”.

Was going to say I’ve seen some other moms around including BrandNewDay but I see she’s already joined. Good! Now I don’t have to be the weird lady asking her to join the moms forum because I think she is so articulate and honest . I’ll also keep my eye out for other moms and let my class know. Seems like we have a good group. Just to be sure everyone has the opportunity who wants it! I also saw a new mom I think in the alcoholism board who I may reach out to. I don’t know about you all but part of my slippage into drinking was definitely frustration with my kids — and with myself for not being able to handle it better. I”m still working on it. But guess I”m saying this because it makes me want to reach out to any other moms who may find it harder than they thought to offer support. I’d been around kids and babysat and just been an overall caretaker. So I assumed it would come naturally for me. Giving love does; setting limits and administering discipline ... well I suck. Not getting emotional. Kind of stink at that too. It’s been better in sobriety but it’s still very tough and I don’t know if I just have tough kids or I’m a sub-par mom. But either way this is a very long way of saying that I am glad for a place I”m pretty sure I can come to vent about parenting troubles.

Bumblebee, I’m so glad you joined! I mean I’m glad everyone did but I know you are starting out so I especially want to say welcome. Not that I have racked up all that much time but I do hit 5 months on Friday. Woo boo!

Hope everyone had a wonderful night. We have both kids on sleepovers which is an extremely rare occurrence. Feels strange having no kids in the house!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I was in recital he'll yesterday. Well not really. Two shows, 3 hours each, 6 costume changes between 2 girls each show. Hair spray, Bobby pins, pink tights, nude tights, no this number my hair is braided not a bun!

Everyone slept in this morning. Dh and I are both off. I am driving the girls.

Then we have lots of little stuff to get done. Nice bbq chicken dinner.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Day 7 for me kinda excited

Long weekend keeping busy with kids stuff and day 7 for me !!! Pretty pumped !!!!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Great job Lori!!

It's raining here which matches my mood. Which is lousy for no particular reason other than I once again ate late night sweets. Ugh.

Have fun sober days!
Old 05-28-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi all.
I'm a mum to two girls aged 4 and 8. I work pretty much full time, just the usual juggling act of work and home! I'm now 8 months off the alcohol. I'm a bit fed up as my mum has cancer again but I won't go into it and bring this thread down!! We're off up to Scotland to visit her tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Welcome JJ! Glad you are here.

I haven't lost a parent or any of my close "aunts and uncles" that are all in their 70s, yet, and I know it will be so hard. One thing I have consistently heard in AA is how grateful the folks who have lost loved ones are that they were present and sober for those ordeals (and certainly some were complicated relationships as typical in alcoholic families ). Take care of yourself and your family.

Dealing with my mood- had only one person show up at the recovery group I lead today - BUT it was the exec chef at the restaurant where I work so it was cool to spend time talking with him about our addictions and stories, and about resto stuff.

I'm still feeling grumpy so am consciously trying not to take it out on my sweet husband and step daughter. Off to a nap and then maybe going to the movies later if I'm up for it. They don't happen off but this is just one of those days this alcoholic gets from time to time.

Take care all.
A
Old 05-28-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hello ladies!

I finally went swim suit shopping and it wasn’t nearly as bad as thought it would be. Yay for that!

I hope you are all enjoying the holiday weekend (for those here in the US)
Old 05-28-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi ladies,

In my class they call me Dau. My last drink was on Feb.4, 2017, so I am almost 16 mos. sober.

I am an older mom of 4 ( I had them all later in life)----my youngest is a teenager.

This site has been a lifesaver. So glad to meet you all.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Tomorrow we’re celebrating my grandson’s fourth birthday—at a local pool! I too had to order a bathing suit! It’s perfect for my state in life: a one-piece with a bandeau top and a little skirt with a sassy tropical print so it doesn’t look too matronly.

I knew it would fit, because my measurements fit the chart—and it doesn’t have any constricting “control panels!”
Old 05-29-2018, 03:25 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

You guys with the swimsuits reminds me I need a new one. Mine is 8 years old, but I only wear it camping and at the beach. Last year it didn't make it out because everywhere we camped was too cold to swim.

Regular day here, work, school, gymnastics and Swimming, but now we have a dead goldfish in one of the kids aquariums. Off to scoop lol.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Numblady View Post
Just saying hi moms! And I was grateful for the bump earlier today from Gilmer. Which my iPad almost auto corrected to “Gilberto”.

Was going to say I’ve seen some other moms around including BrandNewDay but I see she’s already joined. Good! Now I don’t have to be the weird lady asking her to join the moms forum because I think she is so articulate and honest . I’ll also keep my eye out for other moms and let my class know. Seems like we have a good group. Just to be sure everyone has the opportunity who wants it! I also saw a new mom I think in the alcoholism board who I may reach out to. I don’t know about you all but part of my slippage into drinking was definitely frustration with my kids — and with myself for not being able to handle it better. I”m still working on it. But guess I”m saying this because it makes me want to reach out to any other moms who may find it harder than they thought to offer support. I’d been around kids and babysat and just been an overall caretaker. So I assumed it would come naturally for me. Giving love does; setting limits and administering discipline ... well I suck. Not getting emotional. Kind of stink at that too. It’s been better in sobriety but it’s still very tough and I don’t know if I just have tough kids or I’m a sub-par mom. But either way this is a very long way of saying that I am glad for a place I”m pretty sure I can come to vent about parenting troubles.

Bumblebee, I’m so glad you joined! I mean I’m glad everyone did but I know you are starting out so I especially want to say welcome. Not that I have racked up all that much time but I do hit 5 months on Friday. Woo boo!

Hope everyone had a wonderful night. We have both kids on sleepovers which is an extremely rare occurrence. Feels strange having no kids in the house!

Hi Numblady and thank you for the welcome

Congrats on 5 months! That is a mommy inspiration to me. I unfortunately had a slip on Sunday. But I didn’t start spiraling again, so after 15 days, 1 slip- I’m sitting outside drinking coffee hangover free on day 2.

I can totally relate to the difficulties of displine. I was a babysitter/nanny,daycare worker and teacher- but the mommy job is way different and harder. I have been trying to be more patient with the girls, and I do feel that helps- but I still lose my **** at least once a day. Lol.

Take care mommas and stay strong!
Old 05-29-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome "new" moms.

I feel so much better today- and talked to my husband about my bingeing. I literally wrote out the cycle and what did it look like? Drinking. So, yes, it had been worrying him (not that he thought I would drink, but because it was an unhealthy self-damaging habit). Glad I shared and we talked and no frozen yogurt or other sweets was eaten last night when I woke up around midnight

Bathing suits....I know it's my insecurities bc I won't look awful in one at all, but I just can't do it. I truthfully haven't need to buy one in years because I rarely do beach or pool stuff that needs one. Maybe this year....

Bumblebee....thanks for sharing about drinking on Sun. I have to respectfully ask my usual question and comment .... what kind of program are you working? And....IMO rephrasing it from "slip" (which is accidental) to "I drank" (which is a choice) is really important in our recovery and our honesty about our progress. Along these lines, what I'm getting at is that we choose to go further away from a drink or closer to one, and working an active program of your choice is critical to getting and staying sober, then beyond that in recovery.

Y'all will see that I've got strong opinions (vs suggestions, as AA says, perhaps) on a few things critical to my recovery as well as that of those who have what I want.

Happy Tu all - yoga and PT (for a hurt back) for me.
Take care-
A
Old 05-29-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi August252015,

Bumblebee....thanks for sharing about drinking on Sun. I have to respectfully ask my usual question and comment .... what kind of program are you working? And....IMO rephrasing it from "slip" (which is accidental) to "I drank" (which is a choice) is really important in our recovery and our honesty about our progress. Along these lines, what I'm getting at is that we choose to go further away from a drink or closer to one, and working an active program of your choice is critical to getting and staying sober, then beyond that in recovery.

Y'all will see that I've got strong opinions (vs suggestions, as AA says, perhaps) on a few things critical to my recovery as well as that of those who have what I want.
Would love to know more about your opinions---- What program did you use and why did you choose that one?
Old 05-29-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi mommas. Newish. I have posted once in a while over the years. I’m not an every day drinker but a when I drink I go big drinker. Sunday night I went big. And had all sorts of excuses as to why I did. So not sure if this is day 2? For me? Since I technically drank my last drink Monday at 2am. But regardless. 36yrs old. Momma to 3 beautiful kids. Ranging from 1yr, 3yrs and 10ys old. Married to the most understanding and loving man ever. Planning on being more active in SR to help me not drink in 2-4weeks
Old 05-29-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi Daucus- nice to meet you!

After a 7ish yr career drinking alcoholically, the short answer to the program I "chose" is AA. I say that bc it was that or nothing, as my parents weren't willing to pay for me to go to the expensive rehab that my GP, psych and liver dr found for me. That was the day that this new liver dr - to whom my GP sent me directly from her office- told me I had a year, 18 mo if I kept drinking. I quit cold turkey and started AA. I had railed against it for years for NO good reason other than I wanted to keep drinking. Like many people I have met, my "Reasons" were....crap.

I tend to be a totally "IN" person if I decide to do something. When I decided one Dec to run a marathon, I found a friend to do it with me, we picked a date the upcoming June and I started training and did the race. When I was drinking I went hard core and when I quit it was all or nothing. For whatever reason I decided to quit, I was finally, blessedly DONE drinking.

Things I am adamant about, and get worried and such when people share them?
- There's no such thing as a slip. Like I said in my post above I believe it is crucial to say "I drank." Not any "substitute word. I would choose to relapse if I had ONE drink, even here at 27 mo and change under me. Now, the extent and amount and duration of choosing to drink again varies but it's never a good thing- and IMO, absolutely does not HAVE to be a part of recovery.

- NO is always a complete sentence. To anyone, about anything, any time. By this I mean I was exceedingly cautious about what I chose to (see, there's that word again- it's one of the most important ones in my program) do for a long time- I didn't go out of town at all until a three day beach trip with my parents, to our condo where I pretty much stayed, right at 90 days, then a real out of town trip to DC with my now husband, at 9 mo; first party at 14 mo, first wedding at 17 mo.....I only give my time and energy to people who deserve my time and energy, who are trying to live their own best lives whether alcoholics or not. I am dead (no pun intended) serious about saying no- now, to anything that honestly doesn't support my emotional sobriety- and have even declined to join in family Tgvg and Christmas (in my second sober round, strangely, because they were acting as if I was still drinking).

- I need IRL support. Just SR, as some find successful, wouldn't be enough for me.

I might have a few more thoughts, but I have to run out the door to my PT!
Will be back-
A
Old 05-29-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey ladies! Mama to two live ins, 12 yr old son and almost 6 yr old daughter. They are two peas in a pod and we are a weird and wacky goof troop.
I have an almost 14 yr old daughter who lives with her father and has struck me out of her life.
I also have a step-daughter with my ex with whom I am still close. She is 15 and my youngest's oldest sister. She is a wonderful girl.

I spent a lot of years as a single mom working on getting my drinking under control. I agree that there is a lot of shame and stigma being a single mom with an addiction.

Looking forward to summer, it's beautiful days here!
Next week I start my new job in retail management which is exciting.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

That’s great!