Notices

Need some help staying off alcohol

Old 05-22-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some help staying off alcohol

I'm brand new here and I've never.posted in a forum before so I hope I am doing this right. I don't have much time to write because I'm getting ready for work. I am a 48 year old female who has a drinking problem. I might go 1 week without drinking on occasion but usually I drink at least twice a week. I'm one of those binge drinkers who has never been able to drink 1 or 2. I drink beer and I will drink a 12 pack or more in a short amount of time. This past weekend. I drank all weekend. On Sunday I was so hungover I started drinking more beer as soon as I got up. I was so sick yesterday, I called in at work. I feel terrible about this but I knew I couldn't go to.work in the state I was in. I was sick all day yesterday and did drink more beer to get thru it. I drank 8 over the course of the whole day and then stopped. In the middle of the night I woke up several times covered in sweat. Today I am picking myself up and going to work. I feel so ashamed of my drinking problem and wish I could stay completely sober but usually, after a few days sober I feel good again and think I can drink. In January of 2017 I went to a 30 day rehab and I loved it. I was drinking 2 weeks after I got out. I just need someone who understands to talk to. I'm a single mom with 2 grown kids who live on their own and an 11 year old still at home. I work full time and have alot of stress at times...usually financially related. I could really use some support getting through this. Thank you for listening. On another note, I used to be addicted to meth for 12 years. 6 years ago I got off of meth and changed my life. But now alcohol is a problem. Why can't I just be normal?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lots of people have compulsions, Katlyn. I wouldn't say you aren't normal, just part of a group of people who has to stay away from altering substances. Yours just happens to be beer right now...and that is a deadly one.

Well done getting off the meth! Now you know you can become addicted to any substance that you use to change how you feel. I'd say apply what you learned when you gave that up. It's all or nothing with substances, yeah?

I hope you'll stick around and read and keep posting. Total abstinence is the way to go. You'll never be sorry you gave it up.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Addiction is strong. Get some help. In the meantime post and read here.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted and that you are seeking support for your alcoholism.

When I was drinking, I believed the only way to deal with stress was to drink. It wasn't until my life was a mess and I stopped drinking, that I began to find healthy ways to deal with stress. You will be able to stop drinking and enjoy life.

My suggestion is to come up with a plan for how you will stop drinking and remain sober. Most of us have to make lifestyle changes to support our recovery, such as exercise, new hobbies, etc.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for replying!

Thanks you guys! I feels good to know I can talk to someone about this! Today will be day one. I am going to go to work despite that I still feel I'll from abusing myself so much. I want to jump on the wagon before dire consequences happen! I will stay in touch.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you go to meetings? You will meet a wealth of diverse people who know exactly what you’re going through. It’s very common to replace one addiction with another, especially when alcohol is legal, available everywhere, and almost encouraged in mainstream média. I went to a rehab as well and stayed in touch with many of the people I met there. Most were in there for opiate/narcotic addictions and didn’t think drinking would be a problem for them if they kicked the drugs. Well sadly several of them are now off drugs, but very much seeking the same mind-numbing effect through alcohol and can’t believe they’ve abandoned sobriety.

The sweating etc indicates to me that you’ve possibly crossed into chemical addiction territory, which you really don’t want to do. Alcohol withdrawal is scary and very dangerous. I suggest getting to a meeting and raise your hand and be honest.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Absolutely, talk away! It definitely helps. It also helps others to read.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Katlyne. Most of us on SR are just like you. Some of us have had difficulties quitting for good. Some of us think they'll never drink again, and don't. But there are those of us that have struggled. We get where you're coming from. All I can say to you to give you a soft kick in the a** is you need to get off the sauce for the sake of your 11 year old. He deserves your sobriety and guidance through this life, to grow up with you present and being engaged in helping him navigate through the world. And one more thing to gently remind you of - the $$ you spend on booze can relieve some of your financial worries. When I think of all the money I've spent on [insert vodka here] I can see my bank account growing by the day!! So many reasons to stop. I have more if you need
Old 05-22-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am exactly like you.. so tired of it.. i feel your pain. My first day of sobriety is today May 22 2018, im going for a year. Maybe you can do it too.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weak1 View Post
I am exactly like you.. so tired of it.. i feel your pain. My first day of sobriety is today May 22 2018, im going for a year. Maybe you can do it too.
Hey! Let's do it together! I'm ready to break out of this self destructive cycle and enjoy life without drowning myself in alcohol!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
Hi Katlyne. Most of us on SR are just like you. Some of us have had difficulties quitting for good. Some of us think they'll never drink again, and don't. But there are those of us that have struggled. We get where you're coming from. All I can say to you to give you a soft kick in the a** is you need to get off the sauce for the sake of your 11 year old. He deserves your sobriety and guidance through this life, to grow up with you present and being engaged in helping him navigate through the world. And one more thing to gently remind you of - the $$ you spend on booze can relieve some of your financial worries. When I think of all the money I've spent on [insert vodka here] I can see my bank account growing by the day!! So many reasons to stop. I have more if you need
You are so right! Actually, I have a little girl...but she is amazing and deserves a healthy mom! Can't talk long...im still at work and I'm on a quick break. Very tired today but really determined to do something to quit. Thanks for your reply!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

May 22 2018

Hi Katlyn, my name is Mike, im 47 years old and am exactly like you. Lets make this day our first day of sobriety.. May 22 2018, lets go for a year, see how it goes. Im ready
Old 05-22-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weak1 View Post
Hi Katlyn, my name is Mike, im 47 years old and am exactly like you. Lets make this day our first day of sobriety.. May 22 2018, lets go for a year, see how it goes. Im ready
Hi, Mike! Thank You! It would be great to have someone to get sober with! Today is rough as I still have a hangover but I know tomorrow will be better! I'm sorry your struggling too. Let's help each other. May 22, 2018...Day one!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just checking in..

Hi, everyone..im super exhausted but I made it thru work and am now getting to relax. This is day one and I can't wait to get more days sober behind me. I hate feeling sick from so much drinking. Plus I chain smoke when i drink and my voice is scratchy and hoarse from both. I feel like I got hit by a truck. Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone again for the advice and encouraging words!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you'll use the support and wisdom here to get sober for good.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Katlyne. Just think how great it will be to get free of it. It's no longer doing anything but making you miserable. For years I thought it was helping me cope with problems - but it was just keeping me from dealing with things - and causing me even more anxiety.

You're about to have a whole new life - stay with us - we understand what you're going through.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks heyvn! I just clicked on your name and realized I could see you threads. I'm still trying out to get around on this site. I found your story and read it! Nearly made me cry! Thanks so much for sharing that. This weekend, when i was drunk and miserable is when i found this site and it helped, reading the stories of others lost in the bottle like myself. I'm going to continue on here. I work 9 hours a day and have a daughter. Going to meetings is hard for me to have time to do. Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad it was helpful.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 2

Good morning, everyone. It's now 7 am and about to get ready for work. I just wanted to say hello and commit to day 2. I didn't sleep very good again last night and my stomach hurts but it's no wonder after the binge drinking i did this past weekend. My little sister has already called this morning with problems she's having, which she does several times a week. I love my sister but I really can't handle all of the drama while I'm trying to stop drinking. Im going to have to explain this to her when i can. Anyway, I thank God for waking up sober. I know I will feel better when i start sleeping more. No matter what stress comes today, I will handle it sober. I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed day.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober time👍 SR is a great resource for staying quit. I have nearly nine months sober and I owe a lot of that to reading and posting on here. You can do this!