Notices

Need some help staying off alcohol

Old 05-26-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply, Bullwinkle. It made me feel better to hear it. I tend to get down on myself for my long history of being the party girl and crossing the lines. I like that statement, "normal is just a setting on the washing machine"! I shall remember that.

And thank you for the well wishes Ladysadie! I send well wishes to you also! Day 5...here I am! Now off to work I go before my much needed 2 days off can start.
Much love to everyone and much respect I have for you all!
Old 05-26-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Rar

Day 5 is wonderful. Keep it going. You're doing a superb job.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thank you, Rar!! Hope you have a blessed day!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post.
I am on day 12 and I am starting to get a little squirrely {sp). I usually do not have weekends off but my husband does. So we are together this Memorial weekend.
I will not be drinking and as they say the thought to drink last for 5 to 10 mins. so I am on this site to read your stories and inspirations to just take it 1 min, 1 hour, 1 day at a time.
Thanks
Old 05-26-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Keep it goin' Katlyne!
Old 05-26-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I totally get what you're saying, LivininLv! Today was a bit hard for me. I worked a half day and even before I got off work my mind was thinking about how nice a beer would be. I tried to ignore it. I went home and my apt seriously needed to be deep cleaned. It was daunting. I usually drink at home and routinely I pop the top on my beers and guzzle them while I cook and clean. But I did remember how the evening goes after that. Clean apt...but too drunk to do anything but pass out by evening. So I grabbed all the laundry and loaded it in the car and went to my regular laundry mat. Of course, there is a bar next door. It's been there for years and I've had many a drunken night in there over the years but rarely go there at all within the last 3 years or so because I just drink at home mostly. My daughter was with her dad this time so I could have easily put the laundry in and went next door for a cold one. It's amazing how my brain works! The traitor that it is! Every excuse in the book came to mind in rapid fire succession. Might as well have just 3 or 4. Now's your chance to learn to moderate which is what you really need to learn. You can sip them this time. You will feel better if you do. And if you drink too much you can always try again tomorrow! And on and on. But I remembered how it goes. I would maybe drink 3 at the bar but there's no way in hell I wouldn't have to stop at the store and get more for the house! Then the motorcycles were pulling in to the bar and a band was unloading for the gig they were gonna play and I thought...God! That doesn't even sound fun! Let them all drink til the cows come home but I'm gonna do my laundry, go the grocery store, make a quick but nice dinner and have an iced cold glass of sweet tea! I'm so glad I choose this because now I've done all those things except cook and I'm about to go do it now. I can rest easy tonight and know that things aren't perfect...but they're better sober than drunk! Thanks for listening guys. I hope you are all having a nice and sober time! 😁
Old 05-26-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Oh! I forgot to.mention that while I was waiting on my laundry I got on this site and starting reading posts and it helped more than I thought it could have! So thank you so much...to everyone on here!
Old 05-26-2018, 09:00 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.. This site has saved my sobriety/sanity many times in the past 16(?) months. Also the money you save by not drinking is insane!
Old 05-26-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Well I had a good 8 month sobriety run. Hurt my knee and stopped going to gym and heathy lifestyle I had developed. Well I really never had anything bad happen to me after drinking except feeling like crap. Well had huge blowup with Dad after drinking some IPA Beer. Clearly it’s starting to hurt relationships. Going to make the best of the situation and this is the Kick in Butt I need to say no to alcohol for good. I have stopped so many times only to fall back into the trap again. Going to put a plan on paper...instead of winging it like before.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Crosman

D
Old 05-27-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Congrats on 16 months, DR! That must feel so Great! I am hoping that it will be easier as time goes on.
And Crosman, I'm very new to this but it's great that you went for 8 months! If you did it once you can do it again. Just get right back up on the horse. As long as we are alive...its never to late for us!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi, Kat, its Mike.. Monday night and feeling pretty good. Kept myself busy all weekend and stayed away from any potential situations. Hope you have done the same, we made it, ONE week down!! Many more to go!!!
Old 05-29-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi, Mike! I did the same And am so happy we made it a week! 😁 I found that I'm smoking a lot though and I ate more than I normally do. For some reason I was craving different foods. I will try to curb that today. Also, I really have to cut down on my smoking. But for now, I guess the most important thing is not drinking. Do you smoke? Great job on getting thru the holiday sober!! This is the first holiday I've been sober in so long I can't remember! Thanks for letting me know as I was wondering about you. Have a great day!
Old 05-29-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Great news!! Fortunately i quit smoking about 5 years ago, i met a great gal and i wanted to quit for her and somehow was able to do it. Doc prescribed me some low dose xanax for anxiety and i think it helped me quit. If i were you i wouldnt dwell too much over the smoking right now, mayb too much on your plate at one time. Just focus on the alcohol and dont stress over the smoking, you will quit that in time. Maybe try after we get out year in?? Anyway, real glad to hear you made it thru the weekend, lets get another week! But as always, one day at a time. We need to just manage the day at hand, the rest will take care of itself.. ONE DAY AT A TIME! 👍🏼
Old 05-29-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mike! Let's do it! 😁
Old 05-29-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hope your day went well, mine is good. I just thought of something today... im going to live the 2nd half of my life sober.. i deserve that for myself and people around me..
Old 05-29-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi, Mike. Glad your day was good. Just got home from work and although it was a bit stressful today...it was a good day. I like that thought...the 2nd half of life sober! That would be a new adventure for me too, as I have always spent much of the 1st half partying! I'm praying everyday...asking God to direct my life to whatever purpose He might have for me. I find that helps me. One day I googled the worst hangovers ever! Just to remind myself how bad they are...i don't want to forget! I hope you have a great night!
Old 05-31-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Day 10!

Good morning to everyone! Today is day 10!
I haven't had this many days alcohol free in over a year and a half! I am encouraged by it. Life is hectic and there are some moments when i think of drinking but so far, I have been able to push through until the moment passes. I am praying everyday for help and I am finding it helpful to run the tape thru to the end, as I have heard others here suggest. I thank you all for your posts. The people with long term sobriety give me hope and the newcomers posts make me realize I am not alone in this struggle. I hope you all have a great day. How are you doing. Mike?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day Ten is awesome.

You're doing really great, Katlyne.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thank you, buminiblue!!! 😁