Notices

Need some help staying off alcohol

Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you, stronger2017! 9 months is amazing! I will be happy when i can say That!
Old 05-23-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One hour at a time, One day at a time
Old 05-23-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

a belated but warm welcome Katlyne -good to have you join us

D
Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Katlyne welcome! Your chances of getting and staying sober went up 10x when you found these wonderful people on the SR boards. You're part of a community now. A very supportive, understanding community of people who have been there done that.

You acknowledge you have a drinking problem and you want to quit. That's a huge victory in itself. Take it one day at a time.

I really thought that alcohol helped me deal with my problems but I'm seeing now that it stunted my growth. A lot of life's problems are not as insurmountable as we first think they are. We're more up to the challenge than we give ourselves credit for. But when we run to the bottle, we never figure that out. You're on the right path now. I can see you're already feeling better.

Keep coming back and reading these threads and post a little each day. Please join us in the Class of May 2018 (now part 2 I think) thread. It's a great bunch and I'm so much stronger because of them.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you so very much to all of You! I got thru day 2! And I had a lot of other stresses that are going on in my life that are threatening me. Usually, this is the perfect catalyst to make me drink. But today, I just chose not to drink and I said a prayer, asking God to help me deal with the pressures. I'm a little afraid though. I don't trust myself to not in a few days from now. So I am trying to take it one day at a time. How are you doing, weak1?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Katlyne. Give your sobriety time to gain speed, and always remember the benefits of not drinking when those pressures arise. Best of luck on your journey
Old 05-23-2018, 08:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey there, im doing pretty good, not thinking about it is helping. Keeping my mind occupied with other things is helping. This weekend will be a little tough, gotta keep myself busy. I started working out also and if i do it every day, will help me stay on track. DONT let your mind go to that drink, you dont need it. DONT think about it. Close it off like that person you cant stand..
Old 05-25-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 4

Hi, everyone. I am on Day 4 and it has been a very busy week! Yesterday was hard...i really wanted a beer to help deal with all the stress currently going on in my life. Alot of family issues. But I didn't do it. Then about an hour ago, when work was over, my boss asked me to wait that she had something for me before I left and she gave me 4 tall cams of different flavored alcohol she had got from the liquor store, in honor of the holiday weekend. She drinks too and normally we talk about how much fun we have getting together with friends and drinking. (Weve never drank together tho). Anyway, I thanked her and took them...not knowing what else to do. She doesn't know about my problem and I don't intend to tell her. I didn't even bring them to the house. I just stopped at the Walgreens near my house and threw them away. I felt bad about doing it since she bought them but I didn't trust myself not to crack them open as soon as I got home. Especially since I always drink when I'm stressed. Anyway, I hope everyone is doing good and that we can a get thru Memorial day weekend sober. How how you weak1?
Old 05-25-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sweeet!!!!

Dang Kate, that was awesome!!! God knows how hard THAT musta been.. wow, im really impressed with that one. Great job 👍🏼. Im doing good so far, weekend coming up gonna be tough, but if i do think about having one, i will redirect my mind to something else, and it will pass. Been exercising too, which is helping.. keep it up, that was great to hear!!!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, weak1! I was feeling bad for wasting something someone bought for me. I'm so glad to hear you're still sober and on Day 4, too, right? I need to find time to exercise. Haven't done in so long it would probably kill me! Lol! Maybe I will start out with walking. I do still smoke alot but right now I'm just trying not to drink. Maybe we can have a memorial day weekend that won't be followed by the misery of hangovers! 😁
Old 05-25-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

No maybe’s.... I understand your feelings about the drinks you were given, but remember.. overcoming your addiction is more important than most other things anyone can do or say to you right now.. stay busy this weekend, celebrate being in a great frame of mind, dont dwell on not having a drink.. we got this...
Old 05-25-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Okay. Thank you! 😁
Old 05-25-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Kat, your post just gave me great ammo for the weekend.. thank u
Old 05-25-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Whoa! I've been following your post and I'm SO IMPRESSED with your strength! Man, I can just feel how hard that must've been. Great job
Old 05-25-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you, rjyerkes! I do believe I just made a great decision to protect myself from drinking today! Normally, I probably would have told myself to just put them in the fridge and later give them away to someone else so they don't go to waste...or.something dumb like that and, of course, I would have downed them before the night was up and then went out for more. I kinda feel good about looking after myself! I will consider this good practice!
Old 05-25-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Way to go Katlyne! 4 days is awesome, and throwing out the alcohol is an excellent protection from drinking, good on you! I’m on day 13 today and have stocked up on non alcoholic drinks for the weekend 😊
Old 05-25-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep it up guys

D
Old 05-25-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thank you willow68! I was just reading thru your posts and all the comments from others and it has helped me tremendously! Happy birthday, btw! I hope this year is the best one yet! 😊
And thank you, Dee74! This site is really helpful and it's so nice to have others I can relate to!
I have to work a half day tomorrow, so goodnight and God bless you all!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Katlyne writes>>> Why can't I just be normal?<<<

If you mean normal in the context of those that are not addicted, I may not know any normal people. I work in education, even students that aren’t addicted to substances, a percentage are addicted to their Smart Phones, frequently texting or addicted to Facebook, social media addiction.

I live in Malibu for 25 years, where I began my recovery and many people from all aspects of the entertainment industry attend AA meetings, including professional and world class athletes. Now that I’m writing this it occurs to me, I don’t know any normal people or maybe, just maybe, normal is just a setting on a washing machine 😊

I’m OCD, which is obsession, a compulsion that is just another form of addiction where my thinking creates a chemical change, just as alcohol had, but I cured myself of this most honorable compulsion, just as you had with meth.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

hoping you stay strong Katlyne. Wishing you strength and resolve to keep on course! It's a tough weekend for us non-celebrates.