Notices

Quit Again? - Hoping for Motivation

Old 05-30-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sokatie View Post
I love the idea of valium! Had to laugh at the sentence "My anxiety usually subsides after a week or so." Does that mean like me, you've quit and started, quit and started?
I'm not sure I love the idea of valium.....

for me - sobriety meant sobriety from all my escapes and crutches and facing myself head on.....
Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I love the idea of valium! Had to laugh at the sentence "My anxiety usually subsides after a week or so." Does that mean like me, you've quit and started, quit and started?
Hahaha! Just be careful with it. My GP refuses to prescribe it for patients unless there are particular circumstances that warrant it. I didn't get on with beta blockers and the idea of being on SSRIs freaks me out - after I was on prozac for one year. She is now willing to prescribe it in limited quantities (10 x 5mg, which usually lasts me for two to three months).

The longest period of abstinence in my twenty-plus drinking career was nine months. That was five years ago. It came after I had been referred by my GP for alcohol counselling, AA meetings, and had been informed I had raised liver enzymes.

I am the world's biggest procrastinator...if I had a quid for every time I have woken up and said "never again", I could buy a car! I have probably had around a dozen serious attempts in the last decade. However, I genuinely feel that my time is running out and that if I don't stop now I will suffer serious consequences. I noticed that I am bruising easily and discovered it was a sign of liver damage.

I remember waking up a month or so into that nine month spell and wondering why I ever drank. Of course I got cravings, now and again, but I remember feeling so fresh and happy. I have regressed gradually and I was back to drinking every day.

Back at my peak I was drinking a quarter bottle of whisky before work, another at lunch and a half bottle and a few beers at night! I had the rosy cheeks drinkers get. That's my destination again, unless I stop now....and maybe worse!

I have a feeling this time it's for real! It's only day four, but I am very positive and I'm surprisingly not missing the drink as much as I have previously.

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I have prayed and begged the Almighty for help. I wish you the best.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life is good

I guess I have to find a reason to quit that is more important

Watching the sun rise in the morning can be very powerful in any kind of healing.

Off topic, yet maybe not so much.

Sun-gazing is an old method of healing. This is what you will receive if you look up instead of down while you walk:

1. Grandeur.

The sun is such a magnificent energy. Look up and witness the beauty. Notice the subtle changes in the sky as the sun rises up over the mountains, trees, houses or buildings where you are. For me, it was the dry dusty mountains to the east.

2. Peace.

At sunrise, the energy from the sun is one of peace. Open your heart and feel it. Allow it to permeate your being.

3. Beauty.

There is a beauty all around us, yet, many never notice it. When you begin to notice the little things, your life takes on a brighter hue. You will find happiness in the smallest of details.

4. Gratitude.

You are alive another day. What? "Big deal," you say? Waking up is a gift. Being grateful just to be alive shifts your perspective. Each day is a beautiful gift. Be grateful. Say thank you to the sun for rising on this gorgeous day.

5. Healing.

The sun can recharge you. It is composed of ultraviolet light which the body needs for optimum health. The sun stimulates the production of melanin, stimulates the metabolism, (especially metabolism of minerals) is good for helping glands that take care of internal secretion.

6. Natural Source of Vitamin D.

Vitamin D encourages the hormone endorphin production. Endorphins give you that feel good feeling which causes happiness and satisfaction.

7. Sunlight is good for the nervous system.

Exposure to the sun can reduce anxiety.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life is good

I'm glad you're here.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Auchieshuggle, I right there with you. It feels like the last time I'm going to quit too. I also believe in the power of prayer.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Mango, I love that! Thank you!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Life is good

I also believe in the power of prayer.
Me, too.

When I make time for the sunrise, I usually add prayer to it.

Thank you, God, for this day.
Thank, you, God, for this breath.
Thank you, God, for this moment.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I'm not sure I love the idea of valium.....

for me - sobriety meant sobriety from all my escapes and crutches and facing myself head on.....
I'm talking about medication from my GP to try to ease my anxiety, which is the major cause of my alcoholism. However, I agree with you. I haven't taken any yet, and just having them in my wallet gives me a sense of security. I'm trying meditation and other things to try to ease my mental anguish, instead. I would recommend them though, during the initial stages if necessary, and obviously with a prescription from a GP.