Notices

Small victory for some, but it was a huge victory for me!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Small victory for some, but it was a huge victory for me!

Hello Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well. I wanted to check in and share my small victory from this weekend. Today, I am 31 days sober. Yesterday, I had a friend’s wedding to attend. I contemplated even going because I knew there was going to be alcohol everywhere and I wasn’t sure if I would be strong enough to turn down a drink. Luckily, I had my supportive husband by my side and I made it through the day without having a drop of alcohol. This was the first social event I have been to and the first time I have seen my friends in about a month and a half. I was afraid people would try to pressure me into drinking. I felt very anxious and socially awkward because when I am sober I am a quiet, shy person, but when I drink I am very outgoing and talkative. I was afraid people may notice so I was very much in my head the entire time worrying about what others were thinking of me. As the night went on, I got compliments on how good I am looking. As we were about to leave, one of mine and my husband’s best friends pulled me aside... If you didn’t know him like we do you would think he was just a sarcastic, hard headed guy that has no filter. But, if you really knew him, you would know he has the biggest heart of anyone and would do anything for the people he loves. Anyways, he pulled me aside and looked at me with tears in his eyes (this man does NOT cry)... he hugged me and told me I am his family and he loves me and I have no choice but to get healthy because he still needs me around. Sometimes I feel lonely in this journey... but it’s the little things like that that keep me going. I know who will stand by me no matter what. It reminded me how important it is to have a strong support group and that I don’t have to fight this battle alone. People are depending on me and I can’t give up! I want to also thank everyone on this site for listening to me and always being so kind and supportive. I never feel judged and I always know I have a safe place to speak of my struggles and victories. Keep on fighting everyone! We can do this! ❤️
Old 05-20-2018, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done! These seemingly small victories are huge in your personal journey. Keep going.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations dearsobriety

D
Old 05-21-2018, 01:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I am so pleased for you dearsobriety, your post has brought a tear to my eye in a good way. 31 Days is awesome and keep up the good work!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing. I think you had a significant victory, with more to come. 31 days is fabulous!