Notices

My Sponsor

Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Sponsor

My Sponsor
I know one thing for sure. I need to find a new sponsor. I think the guy is battling some things and honestly I don’t feel comfortable working with him. He is kind of needy and has acted passive aggressive toward me quite a few times which has gotten really old. I appreciated all of his help but I feel like it’s time to move on. We did finish the steps which I’m happy about but I feel like I could go through them again. I need to start going to new meetings and maybe meet someone who can take me under his wing. I think what this is about is getting out of my comfort zone. There is a noon meeting near my work that I’ve been meaning to go to that I think I’ll check out today. It’s about time. I hope everyone is having a great start to their week!
Garrison
Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I know from my own experience that it is very possible to outgrow a sponsor, and if that happens, a good idea to find a new one that's a better fit.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job being proactive. You can sit and wait for something to happen forever. You probably won't like the results of all that waiting. You are actively taking charge of your sobriety. You set a great example.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Trust your gut concerning getting a new sponsor. I had to move on from my first sponsor. She later died drunk. She was passive-aggressive towards me and all of her emotional energies were taken up with her personal life. She was constantly trying to work out her life through me and it finally took its toll. Good luck to you.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

another one here who found a new sponsor a few years in.
i also got "stuck" by attending the same meeetings most of the time. when i backed off my HG and started going to meetings elsewhere, something in me changed.
for the better.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know several folk who have more than one. My own sponsor is great, but there are some areas of my recovery that I turn to other people in the program for because their experience, strength and hope resonates with me in a higher way. Do what works for you.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey... by the way... good on you to recognize some of this stuff and come here and post. And the fact that you're talking about shaking some things up sponsor and meeting-wise... really good on you.

Way to recognize and not screw around with it.

I say shake it up. I do some leadership development coaching - one of the exercises I run regularly is to ask the group to give me a leadership characteristic off the top of their heads. I always get the usual - leaders are calm in a storm, honest, teach, etc.etc. But my favorite of all time was this one: "sometimes Leaders burn **** down."

It's true. Sometimes we need to shake it up.

Good luck.

-B
Old 05-21-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good work on your awareness and being proactive.

I also changed sponsors a couple years in. Was a positive move.