Notices

Just starting today

Old 05-18-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mf3

Just starting today

Hi everyone! My name is Morgan. I've just decided to create an account here for some support. I have a drinking problem. Though I don't drink all the time (like I used to before having a child), when I do drink, I can't stop. Usually this results in a negative occurrence and a whole lotta negativity and stress. Two nights ago, another one of those incidents occurred.

Tomorrow, we have a family event at which people will be drinking a bit. I'm already committed to not partaking. Planning on only having coffee and water. My SO's sister is quickly going down the wrong path with alcohol after a bad breakup a few months ago. She's also a friend of mine and the person I've been drinking with. And we work together. How can I go about my road to recovery successfully if most everyone around me drinks? (My Mom and stepdad are alcoholics, my brother, SO's parents, etc) I've got a good amount of willpower, but it's still not easy. Just would like some advice to stay on the right path and right mindset. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Morgan!

That was my problem, too - once that first drink was in my system I never knew what might happen. Often, it led me to a dangerous place. I didn't do anything about it though - and for years went on trying to control the amounts I drank. In the end, I was drinking every day - with a ruined life. (I didn't realize back then that I needed to stop entirely.) This won't happen to you. I hope you'll stay with us - read & post. You're in good company & we all understand.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mf3

Thanks so much! Due to your prompt response, I'm already finding that joining this site was a really good idea. I really appreciate your kind words. 😊
Old 05-18-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mf3 View Post
Hi everyone! My name is Morgan. I've just decided to create an account here for some support. I have a drinking problem. Though I don't drink all the time (like I used to before having a child), when I do drink, I can't stop. Usually this results in a negative occurrence and a whole lotta negativity and stress. Two nights ago, another one of those incidents occurred.

Tomorrow, we have a family event at which people will be drinking a bit. I'm already committed to not partaking. Planning on only having coffee and water. My SO's sister is quickly going down the wrong path with alcohol after a bad breakup a few months ago. She's also a friend of mine and the person I've been drinking with. And we work together. How can I go about my road to recovery successfully if most everyone around me drinks? (My Mom and stepdad are alcoholics, my brother, SO's parents, etc) I've got a good amount of willpower, but it's still not easy. Just would like some advice to stay on the right path and right mindset. Thanks in advance.
You are setting out on a very worthwhile journey.
Alcohol can trap us in a host of miserable ways.
Even light drinking can create problems.
How many light drinkers ended up alcoholics?
AA is an option and there are other supportive groups.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome Morgan!

That was my problem, too - once that first drink was in my system I never knew what might happen. Often, it led me to a dangerous place. I didn't do anything about it though - and for years went on trying to control the amounts I drank. In the end, I was drinking every day - with a ruined life. (I didn't realize back then that I needed to stop entirely.) This won't happen to you. I hope you'll stay with us - read & post. You're in good company & we all understand.
At times I could have a few (I even kept a note book) but events could throw all good intentions to the wind once I had started.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mf3

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
You are setting out on a very worthwhile journey.
Alcohol can trap us in a host of miserable ways.
Even light drinking can create problems.
How many light drinkers ended up alcoholics?
AA is an option and there are other supportive groups.
Thank you! I've started looking into the programs and support options in my area earlier today. I plan to make some phone calls on Monday. I appreciate your support. 🙏🏼
Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Morgan. Welcome.

It really helped / helps me to have a network of sober friends, ESPECIALLY others in recovery. I'm so, so grateful for the community here online, and that of the people I've met in AA, a few of whom have become closer friends over time.

Please keep reading and posting here, and perhaps Google the face to face meeting details for your area as well so you at least know what's available.

A lot of us spent many years surrounding ourselves with others who drank like us (or preferably worse) as it's good to have our drinking normalised and justified by others doing it too while that's what we're choosing for ourselves. What those people choose to do doesn't need to be a barrier to your sobriety though. Not if you realky want to change. I knew I had to change. I just couldn't live with the me I'd become in the end. I despised her /myself. Getting sober, and recovering my integrity really has given me a new life. Despite many things remaining the same (my job, partner and some friends).

BB