Notices

AV going crazy

Old 05-17-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AV going crazy

I am still struggling. My AV is calling my name. After all the destruction that alcohol has caused why do I think that I can drink! I can't. I am one of those people that when I have alcohol in my system I want more. And that invariably ends very badly. Can't sleep. Took some melatonin but it did not help. Have a prescription for trazodone but no money to buy it. Could not get hold of my AA sponsor earlier by phone or text. Watched a romantic period drama on DVD to distract myself but now I don't have anything else to watch or a book to read. So here I am, bouncing off the walls. It is midnight.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The great thing about SR is we're open 24/7
Maybe post to others- it can help me forget about my troubles.

Try and not engage with the thoughts - NO is the only communication we should have with them

try urge surfing

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (urge surfing)
you won't regret not drinking in the morning

D
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Good that you posted and tried to call your sponsor. It shows at least some defence is still operating. The next thing to do, your big book would tell you is to call or go and find another alcoholic to work with. Get out of self and try and help someone else. Experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as this kind of activity.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, good ideas above. I knew that someone would be here so hold my hand. Now I just need to get through the night and not score wine in my morning. Will try urge surfing and connect with people. I tend to isolate and that is not good.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here & posting IW. Know you are not alone & good for you for reaching out. Have you ever tried sleep meditation? You tube has many to choose from.....some of them are “annoying” so have to find something that works for you but has been helping me to fall asleep & sleep better. Hang tight.....
Old 05-18-2018, 02:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doctors are reluctant to prescribe anything stronger than trazodone given my history of alcoholism. There probably are doctors that would but I don't know them.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey icewater

Alcohol addiction does a real number on us. How absurd would it b if the supermarkets had isles full of cannabis!
They advertise and normalise alcohol but look what it does to us. Look at how much it takes from us.
You are not alone all of us are in it with you and there is only one way out. Sobriety!

The more you overcome the AV the weaker it gets.
Post when you struggle there is bound to be others here no matter what the time.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Good Morning Icewater. I hope your AV has been silenced. Well done for reaching out to folks. Maybe stock up on a variety of books and DVDs, YouTube lists, games, etc. so you don't find yourself out of them when you need or want them. Hang in there Icewater. You're doing great!
Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Books and DVDs sound good! There is a library that has both.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How about finding a volunteer position? Mike mentioned working with others...there are so many places that need good volunteers - hospices, animal shelters, domestic violence hotlines, food banks.

Get into (helping) action.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

a lot of recovery is learning to work thru cravings and urges without relying on any other substance to make them go away. cravings WILL pass. usually they only last a limited amount of time....say 10 minutes. it just SEEMS like 10 years.

staying busy does help. not arguing or engaging with the "voices" also helps. just commit and recommit to not drinking today no matter what. take it five minutes at a time if you have to.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going icewater?

D