Notices

alcoholism and addiction

Old 05-17-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcoholism and addiction

I am trying to figure out if I have 2 diseases or 1.

How is alcoholism different from other drug addiction? Same disease, different symptoms? Or 2 separate diseases?

How is alcoholism different from other chemical addictions with regard to the physical craving and mental obsession?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im confused. Alcoholism is an addiction, by definition its an addiction to alcohol.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a drug. Its just that it is marketed as the nectar of the gods.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't believe there is a difference. Alcohol is a drug . Alcoholism is addiction to alcohol.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I've certainly turned the question of alcoholic or addict around in my head more than once. And I could write a dissertation of my beliefs with regards to how and why the term alcoholic is used, as opposed to addict. I'll leave it however because I think it gets a little controversial and may start debates about treatment modalities etc.

At the end of the day it only matters how I identify and what I believe. I believe I'm an addict. I used an addictive drug as a coping mechanism, because I didn't learn others. And I started early so I used it to cope as opposed to naturally maturing through life through trial and error. I used it to the point where I was physically and psychologically addicted. I used to the point where my life and my health began to deteriorate. And it no longer worked....so I had to stop.

Staying stopped is all about reverse engineering...learning to cope, growing up emotionally, learning self control and emotional modulation. Putting on my big girl panties if you will
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fricka,

Totally agree with you 100% on everything.

I like the idea of reverse engineering.

XX
Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So the reason I am confused is because someone told me alcoholism was a different disease than addiction to other drugs. I abused all. So that is why I was wondering about your opinions on this. Thank you
Old 05-17-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Some say that "alcoholism" is different from other drug addictions, but I would say the differences are mostly sociological in nature. There's a fundamental inconsistency in how society tends to view alcohol as separate from other drugs. "Social" drinking is encouraged, and even getting drunk now and then is OK, but other drug use is generally not OK.

Otherwise, as far as your brain and body are concerned, the physical craving and mental obsession are the same no matter the substance. The process of recovery from addiction in either case has more similarities than differences.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Well I've certainly turned the question of alcoholic or addict around in my head more than once. And I could write a dissertation of my beliefs with regards to how and why the term alcoholic is used, as opposed to addict. I'll leave it however because I think it gets a little controversial and may start debates about treatment modalities etc.
I would actually love to hear your thoughts on this. I am open to anyone's opinion/thoughts.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by lojoe View Post
I am trying to figure out if I have 2 diseases or 1.
Quit and you'll have none
Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol is not the only drug I've been addicted to and there's only one of me so I'd say just being an addict is safe?
Old 05-17-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I didn't crave alcohol until I took the first drink. That is when the craving starts. Until that point it was an obsession of the mind from which I couldn't find relief until I took action. When I focused on How and not Why things changed. In sobriety I was able to get down to causes and conditions which relieved the obsession.

Alcohol wasn't my problem, it was my solution
Old 05-17-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello, lojoe

If you have a Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, read "The Doctor's Opinion." It speaks to both, specifically on page xxvi. I guess you can also read it online.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lojoe View Post
So the reason I am confused is because someone told me alcoholism was a different disease than addiction to other drugs. I abused all. So that is why I was wondering about your opinions on this. Thank you
my opinion is you heard someone elses opinion- one you dont have to believe or agree with.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

lo,

I prefer addict to alcoholic. I have never been diagnosed as an addict or alky.

If I went to the Dr. on day 1, I would have been admitted etc etc. I was a blubbering wreck of a human for many days. I didn't start to settle down mentally for about 6 months.

My healing was constant, but it was slow and was altered by many things. e.g. stress, diet, sleep, health.

Now, less things alter me. I am much more stable. I like myself more and in turn people are drawn to me. I give off better energy and folks are drawn to it.

My sleep is another thing that has improved dramatically. I sleep so much deeper now. I am much more rested than I have been since I was a small child.

My energy levels are way up. I recently started easing up on my supplements intake. I was taking a fish oil, multi, and a b12. Lately I have alternating just one pill a day. I feel no change yet.

I don't want to be on any drugs if I can avoid it.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

The DSM-5 does not differentiate. The diagnosis is Substance Use Disorder, and it's by definition as issues with consuming "alcohol or other substances."

Addiction is addiction. There are subtle differences between heroin, cocaine and meth addiction, but in the end they are all addictions.

AA differentiates, I have found some AA groups to be less than welcoming to people who are addicted to other substances, either alone or in combination with alcohol. This is not true of the LGTBA groups in Los Angeles, because so many gay men are addicted to alcohol AND meth. CA and NA talk about all addictions. The meeting in South LA, primarily gay African American men, is all-fellowship, and the one I most identified, even though I am not black.

AA is the oldest group and alcohol was by far the most prevalent addiction at the time. Also, as mentioned above, alcohol is more socially acceptable, although regarding weed that's changing. I think limiting membership and discussion to people who share a single substance is an anachronism...but then again, I find the Big Book to be full of anachronisms.

However, they're all addictions.

I'm less inclined to look at LSD, mushrooms and other indolic hallucinogens the same way, as they are not physically addictive and generally do not lead people to multiple usage...in fact they've been used to TREAT addictions. I think the risk of addiction to, say, LSD is slight to none BY ITSELF.

Other than these, to me drugs are drugs, although I know many would disagree with that last part.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've always thought that alcoholism is addiction to alcohol.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is a world of misunderstanding about addiction vs alcoholism. I am an alcoholic. I was a member of AA in the time before sister fellowships formed and I have first hand experience of what happens when AA tries to be all things to all people. It doesn't work. The hostility did not come from the AA members, it came from foul mouthed addicts who refused to behave in a civilised way in meetings. They were disruptive, unpleasant, sometimes violent and often threatening, and scared away more than one or two alcoholic newcomers. This was the street drug crew, different from the precription addicts who were also around at the time.

Today, if you want to kill an addict, send me on the 12th step call. He will quickly realise I don't know what I am talking about, I have no idea about the world in which he lives, and, therfore, my solution could not possibly work for him.

The spiritual solution may in fact be the same, but the 12 step carrying the message relies totally on identification. An addict will not identify with me, nor I them. I don't understand that world, the culture, the language, the objective in using, is all completely alien to me. I never drank to get wasted or escape reality, I drank for the sense of ease and comfort that comes with just a few, then fell victim to the phenomenon of craving and lost control. If I used some drugs in the same way, alcoholically, I would be dead on the first go.

Addiction sounds to me like a form of medication, controlled amounts to get specific effects and or stave off withdrawals. Controlled amounts was not on my menu, and specific desired effects were almost never achieved.

I understand from many cross addicted friends that it looks the same to them, and straight alocholics are in a minority in AA these days, but we honour our third tradition.

Doesn't matter what other problems you may have, if you are alcoholic you are in. If you are not alcoholic, there are dozens of fellowships who have adapted the AA program to suit their specific problem, and one of them is bound to be right for you. More imporatntly they need you far more than AA does.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sex addicts are powerless over lust get your head round that one!!
No substance involved!! Same neurological disease state though!!
Docs opinion big book translated fits perfectly!!
That's why the steps help substance, behavioural and process addictions!!
Underlying them all is an emotional drive to self soothe!! Albeit in a corrupted mis-guided fashion!!
All addicted people I believe are trying to feel better by engaging in a falsehood!
Know the truth and it shall set us free!
What is the truth???
In my approximation it's subtle and seamless.... We are love in our essence problem is we fell asleep and are in a process of reawakening!!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Ghoster, you are probably right in what you say. On the TV we occasionally see folks poking fun at AA. I can laugh along with them at times, but I know also that it is a serious business, so I hope they don't put others off.

By the same token there are other addictions or compulsive behaviours which I don't understand, and some of them bring out the worst side of my sense of humour. To the sufferer they are no doubt as awful as alcoholism, but for me, the unaffected observer, some of it looks hilarious. Obviously, I would not be a suitable candidate for helping these people.