Notices

51 days sober and worried

Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Pain that is worse after eating fatty foods can be the gall bladder.

I had right abdominal pain before quitting drink. It was what scared me to stop. I'm sober 6 years now and no pain. Unfortunately I can't remember when the pain finally stopped, but remember it wasn't immediate.

You are doing everything right now, stay on track. I can't believe how great I feel since quitting. It really was the best thing I ever did.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm peeing like crazy all the time and itching in weird places that are totally nowhere near the right flank.

Yeah, me too. But these issues could be anxiety related. I can actually feel an intense itch coming on when faced with a particularly anxious situation.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes my GI had me undergo a HIDA scan recently - they found my gallbladder is functioning just fine. So, i have to assume it's my liver.

I'm sort-of glad I developed the pain - I definitely would have kept going hard at it if I hadn't. I guess most people don't develop symptoms at this stage. That scares me a little bit but if it hadn't come up I probably would have been gone in a few years at the rate I was going.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have been told by a couple people that my symptoms are all about anxiety. It's hard for me to believe, but given the fact that my labs always come back good I'm starting to wonder if they're right.

I'm going to try to get on an anti-depressant and see if that helps any, because nothing else is working.

I was prescribed a thing for overactive bladder and it did absolutely nothing to stop the excessive urination.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Your body is in chaos for a while after quitting! It sounds like you are doing the right thing regarding testing and dr visits. I had itches also mostly on my legs in strange places. Those were kicking for a solid year as well but I didn't have them in the first 6-7 months. Of course everyone is different.

Our livers can heal but that takes time, my right side under the bottom of my ribs pain was always just a dull ache but sometimes it would last and last. It never reached out and grabbed me but it was always there. High stress would often kick that one in on me.

I had a complete head trip from PAWS during this time also. All my emotions were hypersensitive and I was easily angered or stressed or scared by something. Time helps, but it does take some time to heal.

I drank for over a year before even trying to quit with all these signs because I couldn't stop. I didn't tell my wife about it until later after I had committed to stopping. She was upset with me for getting too drunk in public. She didn't care if I got tossed at home but she didn't like me falling over out and about and gave me an ultimatum. I knew inside I had a problem and wanted to do something about it already. She just told me I couldn't get drunk in public, I took it to the next step and decided to try and save my life.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post

I had a complete head trip from PAWS during this time also. All my emotions were hypersensitive and I was easily angered or stressed or scared by something. Time helps, but it does take some time to heal.

I drank for over a year before even trying to quit with all these signs because I couldn't stop. I didn't tell my wife about it until later after I had committed to stopping. She was upset with me for getting too drunk in public. She didn't care if I got tossed at home but she didn't like me falling over out and about and gave me an ultimatum. I knew inside I had a problem and wanted to do something about it already. She just told me I couldn't get drunk in public, I took it to the next step and decided to try and save my life.
I'm definitely feeling the emotional rollercoaster too. The smallest thing can set me off - a commercial with a dog in it can make me cry or thinking about an ex or anything. It's like the alcohol was dampening my emotions too and now they're out of whack.

I just got a scrip for Lexapro. I'm hoping this will help.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Lexapro has been a game-changer for me. Granted, I did several positive things in a short span of time that no doubt helped my state of mind - stopped drinking, started exercising and eating better, and started Lexapro - but I do think it helped take most of the edge of my anxiety so that I didn't feel the compulsion toward numbing out everything, which was a big thing that drove me to drink and overeat. I hope you're able to find something that helps you with your anxiety; I know how horrible it is.

Also, I still have a similar right side feeling that comes and goes, almost like a rubber band stretching, or a balloon inflating inside me. Not pain per se, but a sort of pressure. Sometimes it feels like it's concentrated in the front, sometimes the back. Exercise can bring it on, or it can start randomly. When I quit drinking, I went to the doctor for a physical and told him what was going on. My liver was a normal size and one enzyme only a few points above the normal range, which he wasn't overly worried about and said was consistent with fatty liver, which I was diagnosed with several years ago (and still kept drinking; d'oh). He felt like it would likely resolve with weight loss and quitting drinking, and I'm actually going to have followup bloodwork done next week to see if it has improved. We'll see.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flower2327 View Post
Lexapro has been a game-changer for me. Granted, I did several positive things in a short span of time that no doubt helped my state of mind - stopped drinking, started exercising and eating better, and started Lexapro - but I do think it helped take most of the edge of my anxiety so that I didn't feel the compulsion toward numbing out everything, which was a big thing that drove me to drink and overeat. I hope you're able to find something that helps you with your anxiety; I know how horrible it is.

Also, I still have a similar right side feeling that comes and goes, almost like a rubber band stretching, or a balloon inflating inside me. Not pain per se, but a sort of pressure. Sometimes it feels like it's concentrated in the front, sometimes the back. Exercise can bring it on, or it can start randomly. When I quit drinking, I went to the doctor for a physical and told him what was going on. My liver was a normal size and one enzyme only a few points above the normal range, which he wasn't overly worried about and said was consistent with fatty liver, which I was diagnosed with several years ago (and still kept drinking; d'oh). He felt like it would likely resolve with weight loss and quitting drinking, and I'm actually going to have followup bloodwork done next week to see if it has improved. We'll see.
Hope so. I've always been an anxious person so it would be nice to have relief from that without the destructive side.

Yeah the right side thing is weird - some days it feels like just a discomfort or a heaviness. Some days like today it's a legit low-level pain. It used to come and go but now it mostly stays. Every once a week or so I'll get a sharp stab pain but it only lasts a second. I don't understand what sets it off.

Good luck with your bloodwork!
Old 05-19-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The mind- body connection

Hi Timm. So glad you are here. The mind-body connection is very strong so you are giving more energy to that which you are focusing on. "Energy flows where attention goes." Try to put your energy to those things that feel good. Reach for the
best-feeling thought you can. Meditation and exercise will also work miracles. And deep breathing will calm your nervous system when you are feeling anxious and scared. Don't be scared--your body has an amazing system for healing and you are on a wonderful healing journey. Celebrate your success and everything that you have accomplished. Sending much positive energy to you on your journey ❤
Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by timm84 View Post
I'm definitely feeling the emotional rollercoaster too. The smallest thing can set me off - a commercial with a dog in it can make me cry or thinking about an ex or anything. It's like the alcohol was dampening my emotions too and now they're out of whack.

I just got a scrip for Lexapro. I'm hoping this will help.

What happens is alcohol stimulates things in your brain which you brain typically produces chemicals to do on it's own. Over time your brain sees the alcohol doing that task so it backs off and stops doing it.

Take the alcohol away and now your brain chemistry is out of whack and it takes time for it to readjust. We don't realize the slide the other way as the alcohol dulls all of that. This is the basis of PAWS, it's your brain rebalancing it's chemistry and it can be a head trip for sure.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pajarito1663 View Post
Hi Timm. So glad you are here. The mind-body connection is very strong so you are giving more energy to that which you are focusing on. "Energy flows where attention goes." Try to put your energy to those things that feel good. Reach for the
best-feeling thought you can. Meditation and exercise will also work miracles. And deep breathing will calm your nervous system when you are feeling anxious and scared. Don't be scared--your body has an amazing system for healing and you are on a wonderful healing journey. Celebrate your success and everything that you have accomplished. Sending much positive energy to you on your journey ❤
Thanks! Yes, I know I have legitimate physical symptoms but I'm learning there's a strong connection with my mind and attention. A few times I have noticed during sex or playing basketball the pain went away or I stopped noticing it maybe. When I was most anxious the first few weeks some symptoms were terrible.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
What happens is alcohol stimulates things in your brain which you brain typically produces chemicals to do on it's own. Over time your brain sees the alcohol doing that task so it backs off and stops doing it.

Take the alcohol away and now your brain chemistry is out of whack and it takes time for it to readjust. We don't realize the slide the other way as the alcohol dulls all of that. This is the basis of PAWS, it's your brain rebalancing it's chemistry and it can be a head trip for sure.
This makes sense. I honestly don't mind the emotional parts so much - if I could just get this damn pain in my side to go away I'd be fine.