Notices

Alcoholic developing allergy to wine!

Old 05-17-2018, 02:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I used to get a really stuffy nose after drinking wine, blocked sinuses and all that. It's usually down to sulfites and histamines in wine, the cheaper the wine the higher the sulfites usually. Alcohol allergy comes with a lot of other symptoms but if your concerned always best to check with a dr, or alternatively stop drinking.
That's really interesting. I was very much a beer drinker but obviously didn't turn down wine if it was offered. I often used to get a really itchy throat and ears after drinking white wine - it didn't seem to matter if it was the cheap stuff or the dearer stuff. I had no idea until now about the sulfites and histamines but I do suffer from seasonal allergies so it makes a lot of sense that the histamines in wine would have the same effect.
Thanks for solving that mystery for me MantaLady
Old 05-17-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for your much needed support! Am in UK so won't have time to respond until this evening. I have to get sober for good! Catch up later. W.x
Old 05-17-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Madnellie View Post
That's really interesting. I was very much a beer drinker but obviously didn't turn down wine if it was offered. I often used to get a really itchy throat and ears after drinking white wine - it didn't seem to matter if it was the cheap stuff or the dearer stuff. I had no idea until now about the sulfites and histamines but I do suffer from seasonal allergies so it makes a lot of sense that the histamines in wine would have the same effect.
You can get the same symptoms from beer too If you have any sensitivies to grain (gluten/wheat/barley/hops etc) it's defo not exclusive to wine . . A lot of alcohol is grain based so can irritate anyone who has issues with this sort of stuff too.

Also if you are drinking anything with high hystamine levels and also eating the following foods you are in double trouble as they are all high in hystamines too...

Cheeses (gouda, camembert, cheddar, brie, roquefort, emmental, swiss, parmesan), yogurt, buttermilk and kefir, processed meats, salami, jerky, sausage, mackerel, herring, sardine, anchovy, tuna, sauerkraut, spinach, eggplant, pumpkin, pickled cabbage

Sounds like the pizza toppings I would have with a bottle of white wine in the past...no wonder I was stuffy! Anyhow, 18 days sober so all this is much less of an issue now
Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Madnellie View Post
This is me exactly. I get sooo plugged up for days after drinking wine an sometimes beer. Now I have all these allergies I never had before. I also break out in rashes all over my body.

Back when I was hiding my booze it sucked because all of a sudden I would break out in a rash and damn I was busted!!!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm definitely allergic. Runny nose, stomach upset, hives, eyes to painful and itchy for contacts... Different reactions to different kinds of alcohol but all of them allergic and awful. On day five, I'm not scratching my poor face and it's losing its flushed tone. I agree with you that it's another great motivation to stop.
Fun fact: alcohol actually makes seasonal allergies much worse and makes you more likely to get sick from them. I'm on my third round of bronchitis and am pretty tired of wearing glasses every day... These are great reminders of what I'm working to achieve in sobriety. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The alcoholic Takes a drink then the drink takes a drink until the spree ends!
It's called powerlessness!
Abnormal bodily reaction hence the allergy reference!!
Old 05-18-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I know that you can develop allergies at any stage of life. My husband never had a single issue til he quit a 30 year, pack a day of Marlboros habit. He got so bad he could hardly function. It's been almost 14 years and they're finally subsiding a bit. So it's entirely possible that there's something in wine that you aren't able to tolerate now. Seems like allergies are still something of a mystery.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well there is a mine of information here for me to digest! What a great bunch you are. Thank you☺ I so much want today to be my new day 1. Will keep posting and hope and pray I can do this.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

If you want it to be your new day one, let it be!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I always flushed really bad with wine. I think I am sensitive to tannins. I notice it with green tea too if I drink it on an empty stomach!

keep posting and I wish you the best in your recovery. It is worth the work. I had many relapses before sobriety stuck.