Notices

Facebook memories....

Old 05-16-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facebook memories....

I haven't had any AV talk at all the last week. I just got hit with a big craving. A feeling of old times almost?

I just got tagged in Facebook from a memory from 2011. When I was just drinking with my friends for fun, laughing at the **** we did, you know.. before it got bad.

I am in no way acting on it, but my god if it didnt cross my mind like "you're being to hard on yourself" "you're friends drink way more than you do" " look how much fun it was, carefree, you've gotten way to serious" blah blah blah blah says the AV.

It had me missing my old friends (i've dropped the friendship cuz it was negative and fueled my addictions) and I almost had a longing for "one more time".

The good thing is, I can now realize this as AV talking. Its crazy how fast that tripped me up when I was feeling pretty confident.

Good reminder I need to be extra vigilant.

I have my therapist today so will talk this through and also I think I need a treat tonight
Old 05-16-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh man I think social media is such an AV trigger. Old memories or all the postings on there. I have found myself roaming Instagram just looking for photos of people drinking.

Pure AV activity. Good for you for recognizing it and staying strong.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband went out drinking with some friends a few weekends ago and I definitely had some feelings of jealousy and missing the good old times... but guess who wasn't jealous anymore the next morning! ;-) A treat this evening sounds like a very good idea!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The fact that you recognize it and came here to talk it through is a sure sign that you have made a lot of progress - nice work! I tend to avoid most social media for the very same reasons you indicate, and I really don't miss it at all.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My fakebook is littered with photos of my drinking shenanigans and they were all good times. BUT..I've grown up and have moved past that part of my life. I'm present daily and aware of what/where my money goes these days. I don't regret my past because that's how I got to where I am. Sure I regret my DUI's and some relationship mishaps,but again...those led me here to today.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stay strong, you got this!

When I got sober I deleted facebook, that was the best thing for my recovery and myself on so many levels. I love not being on there. It really let me know who my true friends are, 3... I have 3 friends out of the 350 people I "knew" on facebook.

Have a wonderful day,
DC
Old 05-16-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
My husband went out drinking with some friends a few weekends ago and I definitely had some feelings of jealousy and missing the good old times... but guess who wasn't jealous anymore the next morning! ;-) A treat this evening sounds like a very good idea!
oh SOO true,!! Thinking about the morning, and feeling happy and not sick when you wake up makes it alll worth it!!!
Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
The fact that you recognize it and came here to talk it through is a sure sign that you have made a lot of progress - nice work! I tend to avoid most social media for the very same reasons you indicate, and I really don't miss it at all.
I feel like I am making a lot of progress, slow and steady wins the race!!
Thanks
Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Stay strong, you got this!

When I got sober I deleted facebook, that was the best thing for my recovery and myself on so many levels. I love not being on there. It really let me know who my true friends are, 3... I have 3 friends out of the 350 people I "knew" on facebook.

Have a wonderful day,
DC
I was contemplating deleting mine too. Might be on the horizon...
Old 05-16-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just had another massive trigger- my friend invited me to a party this Friday and said "you have to come I wont know anyone there" . This is one of my biggest binge drinking friends, and massive trigger for me. We loved to just get silly. I said that I was going to the lake. I wont be going that is forsure! But my AV is kicking and screaming!! Land mines im walking around....
Old 05-16-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats some great AV recognition there icandothis

I missed a few parties when I was newly sober but I don't regret it at all now.

I needed time and space to put clear distance between who I had been and who I wanted to be.

D