Notices

I Think My Higher Power Spoke to me this Morning...

Old 05-16-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Think My Higher Power Spoke to me this Morning...

A country song came on the radio, and it’s chorus was “everything is going to be alright.” I have been experiencing serious anxiety, PAWS is a bitch.

In the height of my worry, came this song. I don think no it was a coincidence.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep it movin' Horn. Good to see you here.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning, Horn.

I just read your post and literally had a cold chill. That's the way has spoken to me throughout my sobriety. Wow! When you work your fourth step, your fears will be taken from you. When I got into my fourth step I realized what I had been calling anxiety was pure fear. There's a fear prayer in the Big Book that I absolutely wore out. It's on page 68. Once I identified where the fear was coming from, be it fear of economic insecurity, my ambitions, even the fear of succeeding, I asked God to remove it, and he did. Thank you so much for sharing this this morning. You've just made my day. I found with me when I sincerely had a desire to stop drinking that God was speaking to me through everything and everybody. I say, WOW, again.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you heard yet in a meeting that when the student is ready the teacher will appear? My higher power comforts me when I'm afraid. God continues to show himself to me.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djlook View Post
Have you heard yet in a meeting that when the student is ready the teacher will appear? My higher power comforts me when I'm afraid. God continues to show himself to me.
I was ready and my teacher appeared, after making appearances on and off for years - it was pure pain and suffering. Lesson learned.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are getting good messages Horn! Regarding "PAWS", that's generally something that doesn't kick in until several weeks or months after the initial withdrawals, so you are likely just dealing with plain 'ol anxiety. Don't rule out seeking some help for that too if it continues - it's a very common and treatable condition.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

reads like part of
came to believe.....
occurring.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep moving forward Horn

D
Old 05-16-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
A country song came on the radio, and it’s chorus was “everything is going to be alright.” I have been experiencing serious anxiety, PAWS is a bitch.

In the height of my worry, came this song. I don think no it was a coincidence.
As time goes by and things happen I'm growing less and less convinced that anything happens by coincidence. Seems something is speaking to me, trying to show me things, on a regular basis. I think most of the time I just have blinders on. Would be nice if I knew an easy way to get the damned things off.

Glad you got what you needed when you did. Keep rolling with it. It does get better...

-B
Old 05-21-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Horn - how goes it?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Hey Horn - how goes it?
Hey bro. It’s going alright. The initial euphoria of recovery is giving way to mood swings, and questioning everything. Sobriety is a journey, not a destination. My daughter is having a tough time. She is the love of my life (as is her sister). But she is dealing with crushing depression. She is a talented young actress, good grades in AP classes, and beautiful — like her Mom. But she became suicidal again. I feel helpless.

But she is no quitter. She will keep fighting. As will I with her.

Thanks so much for asking.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Hey bro. It’s going alright. The initial euphoria of recovery is giving way to mood swings, and questioning everything. Sobriety is a journey, not a destination. My daughter is having a tough time. She is the love of my life (as is her sister). But she is dealing with crushing depression. She is a talented young actress, good grades in AP classes, and beautiful — like her Mom. But she became suicidal again. I feel helpless.

But she is no quitter. She will keep fighting. As will I with her.

Thanks so much for asking.
Nothing easy there man. But only way to deal with those heavy lifters is to be sober. Not that I need to tell you that.

Glad to hear you are staying strong. I still find the sober mornings to be gifts. You?
Old 05-21-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Horn,
We had the same situation last summer with our oldest son. His wife filed for divorce while he was in the process of changing jobs, his dad died, he had to move out of his home, he lost a huge portion of his pension and retirement to his wife. We were thankfully in a position where he could stay with us for eight months until the divorce got all settled. So I really do know that helpless feeling. That all happened to him within a four month time span. We fed him, gave him shelter, were supportive of him, and prayed that God would comfort him. He's worked his way through that very difficult time. He has a new job and then he'll be able to make up for the financial loss in a very short time. He is slowly healing. Hang in there.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A similar thing happened to me recently. I was having a very stressful day and I happened to notice a random canvas shopping bag in the waiting room where I was with "Be still and know that I am God" printed on it. It's from Psalm 46 and it's one of my favourite verses to meditate on. Took my breath away. It was followed shortly by the very best possible outcome for what we were waiting for