Notices

Time to change

Old 05-14-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to change

I think it's fair to say that I've been in denial for a while. Alcohol has always been such a big part of my life, family, friends, wife's family, all social drinkers. Me however, I've always seemed to take it a step too far and as times gone by, ive just seemed to take it even further.

I've never been a regular, daily drinker, but I've regularly drank to the point of passing out and saying/doing embarrassing things. I'm at a point now where my wife has had enough and to be honest, I've had enough.

There are times when I can enjoy 2 or 3 drinks, but there are many times when something in my head changes and I'm just on a mission to get drunk for whatever reason, nice day out, bad day at work, it could be anything and I don't know what triggers it.

I'm 33 with a good job, loving wife and a young son and I know if I don't quit drinking soon, I will loose all of that.

Anyway, today is my day 1 of a new start.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, johnnyt53. It sounds like you've made the right choice. There's lots of experience and understanding folks on SR. Good luck with your receovery.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Admitting I was powerless to quit worked for me. I go to AA, love this site and the support. I do the steps of AA but working with someone has meant a lot to me and helps tremendously. If I could do it alone I would have by now. I know myself more these days and getting the support/help on this journey has made all the difference in the world. Stick around, it's worth it and then some.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Inden1al - glad you have found us. There are many and varied problems with alcohol and none of them are any good. Every problem gets worse if we continue to drink. Have a good read around the site, get some advice, think about what you do when your little voice that is often called the AV (addictive voice) comes whispering. You mention drinking is a big part of your social circle - have a plan for what you're going to do, what you're going to say. Don't be too hard on yourself and take it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute if necessary.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Inden1al

I think a lot of us were in denial... accepting what my problem was was a great step forward for me, and this community helped me get there

Glad to have you join us

D
Old 05-15-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Denial is the hardest part and I’m still struggling with it. Like you, I don’t drink every day - it’s about once a week for me. And it’s the hardest thing to accept that I really, really can’t ever drink anymore. Posting here helps, and I’m making the commitment to post more and really use this site. Maybe it will work for you too?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, Inden1al.

It's great to see you on day one. I've been sober 20 years and 9 months today. I got sober by attending AA meetings, getting a sponsor, and working the steps. Sorry to say, I was one who had to lose it all, business, marriage, longtime friendships, financial disaster, total loss of self esteem, my dignity, self confidence, integrity; in other words, everything good in my life, I cashed it in for a drink. I was willing to pay the price. This disease is cunning, baffling, and powerful. I spent years comparing my drinking to my brother's drinking. He was a daily drinker and died drunk. I wasn't a daily drinker for many years, but the disease progresses. But for the grace of God, I found AA and have slowly put my life back together. I still attend meetings because I love the fellowship, listening to others share their experience, strength, and hope. You don't have to lose your job, your wife, and your son. Good luck to you and I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Inden1al View Post
I think it's fair to say that I've been in denial for a while. Alcohol has always been such a big part of my life, family, friends, wife's family, all social drinkers. Me however, I've always seemed to take it a step too far and as times gone by, ive just seemed to take it even further.

I've never been a regular, daily drinker, but I've regularly drank to the point of passing out and saying/doing embarrassing things. I'm at a point now where my wife has had enough and to be honest, I've had enough.

There are times when I can enjoy 2 or 3 drinks, but there are many times when something in my head changes and I'm just on a mission to get drunk for whatever reason, nice day out, bad day at work, it could be anything and I don't know what triggers it.

I'm 33 with a good job, loving wife and a young son and I know if I don't quit drinking soon, I will loose all of that.

Anyway, today is my day 1 of a new start.
I was at the same place at 33, I'm 40 now and finally quit. If you can turn the corner at 33 I think you will reap some incredible benefits.

Enjoying my life sober with my son and my wife has been so crucial to my sobriety.

Welcome to SR, lots of great people and advice here.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, lnden1al. Very glad you joined us.

Acknowledgment and acceptance of our alcoholism are key to recovery. Seems as though you have done so. Well done.

Congratulations on Day 1.