Notices

Back again

Old 05-14-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Im back again after a 4 day bender. I broke down and admitted to my supervisor about my drinking problem and that Id need time to try a 7 day detox program. Although ive missed all last week, my supervisor was fine with it and actually thanked me for coming forward seeking help but now ill have to really give it a go. Ive had a difficult time getting over 2 weekends. Ill have to see past the shame and guilt, dig down deep for will power, and really do it this time.

Last edited by rich27; 05-14-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a big step talking to you supervisor and taking some accountability about quitting drinking. Way to go! After the 7 days will you be able to do some outpatient treatment? If not you might want to try 90 meetings in 90 days. It's not about will power, that runs out eventually. I tried the white knuckling before. My secret now is that I'm to the point where I actually don't want to drink! Much easier/better to stay sober that way.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats a great step to take Rich - congrats and best wishes man
let us know how you get on

D
Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice

After the 7 days there's an option for me to do a 6 week program at a treatment center. Ive been going to AA meetings since before xmas but I havent been able to stick with it.

Over the last few years ive lost relationships, missed a lot of work calling in sick, and said some rude things to family. Im getting tired of it.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Having an extra layer of accountability like that can really help get through the early days.

I've found that honesty and transparency have served as both a great means of accountability as well as an amazing level of relief.

Yes, just let the guilt and stuff run its course but don't put too much stock into beating yourself up. The past is the past. Let it be the past. There's a lot of living to do and we do not have to be defined by our past. Your AV will try to use it against you. Ignore it and stay focused on who you are today - a sober, honest person!

Congrats! Welcome to the good side of life!

B
Old 05-15-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that brings back memories.

I spent all my working days ( even years ago) running on a very bad hangover ( i think i hid it well)

by 12pm i was back to normal - but of course, after work, it was straight to the bottle shop again.

You dont think now, but the stress of a hangover and work every day can knock over a horse, i dunno how i did it.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AtomicBlue View Post
My secret now is that I'm to the point where I actually don't want to drink! Much easier/better to stay sober that way.
That's my secret too. I'm only on day 19 but whats made it easier for me is I don't want to drink. I'm cherishing and enjoying sobriety far too much and I don't think of how good two drinks will make me feel. I think about how disgustingly rock bottom I feel after a 10 day bender which is what one drink will lead to. Not immediately, but in Maybe a month or 6 months sooner or later I will be back at rock bottom and I never want to go back there.

I did it with weed. It got to the point 15 years ago where it made me so paranoid I quit overnight and haven't touched it since.

I feel the same way with alcohol now.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome back Rich. Wishing you well. Stay strong.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you for reaching out for help and being honest.

Lots of support here. Let us know how it goes.