Notices

i cant deal with the past without drink

Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

i cant deal with the past without drink

feel very triggered am not doing to drink on it but am so triggered about things with my mother i went to an aa meeting today and things where brought up after i had to call my husband to get me as i was very shakey and upset my friend who was with me had to stay with me until my husband got me am home now but now i feel more triggered than before i dont want to cut or do anything distructive unsure weather i should call my sponsor at the moment as she the other side of the country at the moment
i feel unsafe i feel like am not coping at all
drinking will make it go away but i will have to deal with it when am sober also a family member wants to friend me on facebook and keeps trying to contact me i dont want them on my facebook just incase my mother sees my page
Feel like hurting myself feeling unsafe and unable to deal with it all
Old 05-14-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have felt the same way and it's probably best to see a professional about these issues, a psychologist or social worker. People in these groups mean well but they aren't professionals
Old 05-14-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've decided if I need extra help to see a social worker or psychologist. Alcohol is not the problem in these cases but a symptom of our other problems.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

drinking doesn't make ANYTHING go away....it just delays us actually dealing with it all face on.

you have a choice. keep running.
or turn around, stand tall and realize that nothing is actually chasing you.

we all have things that upset us in the course of a day. they do not have to become the whole day. you got upset. and now you can work on getting back to a place of ok. this is that "grown up" thing you were talking about in your last post.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are with your husband and are safe, GMS.

Drinking will not help. It will only lead to more anxiety.

Don’t worry about friending your relative on Facebook. Only give access to those you want, GMS.

Have you tried deep breathing for anxiety?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

GMS, it's hard working on the painful issues from the past, but you are in a safe situation now to be able to do so. First the pain, then the rising. You will be able to get through this.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Aa has steps which deal with the past that we and our drinking created. That part of the program converts our liabilities into assets that we can use to help others.

It also has a recommendation about seeking professional help with other issues such as trauma. No one in AA is equiped to help you with this, other than to support you in getting therapy.

I don’t know from your post the nature of the issues that are troubling you. It can sometimes happen that a thoughtless male will go too far in his sharing ( we are supposed to keep it general) and end up retraumatising someone in the room who has been a victim of such behaviour in the past. It shouldn’t happen but modern meeting formats often allow scope for such abuse.

It sounds like this may have happened to you. If it has, the only way out that I know of is to get professional help. Don’t stay a victim. For some reason, victimhood always undermines recovery, like a trump card that can be played whenever we need to do something uncomfortable.