Notices

Hi.... I’m new here

Old 05-13-2018, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi.... I’m new here

I wanted to introduce myself before exploring anything else. I just found this group this evening. I’m hoping to get help finding some direction.
My husband is an alcoholic and was hospitalized with liver failure and alcohol withdrawal earlier this year. It was a very scary time! He’s since went through an outpatient treatment program and his liver functions are back to normal. However, I’ve been suspicious that he’s been drinking because I’ve smelled alcohol on him and lingering around the house. Some of his behaviors have modeled the same one’s he had when drinking before. I asked him about it twice and he denied it. The first time I believed him. The second time I did not. Today I found a litre of vodka and a mixed drink in the car. Yes, I was looking for evidence. I brought it into the house, set the drink and bottle down and told him I knew he’d been drinking. He tried to say this is his first slip up. I told him to stop, just stop lying. He poured them out and said he’s done, really this time. He said he knows they’re just words and don’t mean anything. All I responded with is that being lied to is so belittling. I’m out of words right now.
I’ve been dabbling with the idea of going to counseling. I’ve gotten referrals from my psychiatrist and called on them to see if they have openings and if they accept my insurance. First thing tomorrow I’m scheduling the first available appointment! That’s all I know to do now besides reaching out here.
It’s been a few years but I was active in AlAnon for a couple years. I quit going when my anxiety hit its all time worst! Talking to my sponsor seemed to make things worse. I’m very reluctant to go back. I’m having anxiety about being in the same place I was then with my anxiety. It was almost my breaking point or maybe it even was my braking point. That was over five years ago and I’ve been pretty detached from everyone and everything since then. I have three children that have had to endure this! I’m feeling very guilty! I need to get better!
Fivecent
Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Fivecent I'm sorry I don't have much advice other than to say that I find counseling usually helps me with whatever it is I am going through, I hope it helps you as well. Welcome to SR
Old 05-14-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, Fivecent!

If you check out the Friends & Family forum, you'll find lots of great information and support to help with your situation.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most alcoholics lie. I lied for years and found my then partner pouring vodka from my hidden stash down the drain. I got so mad that I kicked him out. He eventually came back... but we are not together anymore because he is a weed addict. Having alcohol in the car is not a good idea. Does he drive drunk? A really bad idea. I know. Have that T-shirt. Ultimately everyone here probably will tell you that unless he wants to change you can not save him. He will find more vodka. Sounds like he is not ready to quit yet even though he has taken a few baby steps. Counseling is a great idea, as is Al-Anon for you. Make sure that you are on top of your financial situation and he doesn't blow it all on booze. Hugs and I hope he soon sees the light that sobriety offers!