Notices

Feeling Worn Down

Old 05-13-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Worn Down

I'm five months in. Still experiencing strong waves of anxiety and depression. I have a lot of tools to deal with anxiety but I'm feeling worn down. I'm wondering if this is going to be my new normal -- I don't really believe that, but I think I need to hear from others that have been there. Reassurance that this will pass. What scares me is, what if it doesn't?
Old 05-13-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi 1663,

I find that if I'm not careful, boredom will set in quickly and that adds to feelings of depression. I have been trying to do something productive every day....even if it's just organizing a cupboard or cleaning the floor, taking a walk or even a nap.

Are you anxious about drinking or life in general?
I make relaxation a priority....above everything else, even work.
Making extra time for myself validates that I am worth it...
Be kind to yourself, the journey is different for everyone.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have periods when I feel great and periods when I feel worn down mxious and just basically 'trudgey'..

The difference is now I don't panic when I don't feel great, I'll go see my Dr if it lasts a while, but otherwise I accept the ups and downs as part of life, and of recovery. I have enough raw data now to know the bad day is usually not more than a day or two and it passes.

Hang in there paralito

D
Old 05-14-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm at nearly 9 months and I still get days where I feel overwhelmed with anxiety.
Couple of things which help for me is exercise, eat something and be kind to yourself. It will pass eventually and you will get better at dealing with it over time.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I didn't make it to 5 months Pajarito, so I congratulate you on that awesome sober time. I agree with the others in that we are going to go through some rough patches. Even now, I'm remembering that I went through rough patches when I was drinking. In fact, I drank to get through them. We are not drinking now, so we are getting used to living through them.

If it doesn't pass or you're becoming more anxious, I'd see your doctor to reassure you.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on this long. Can you tell us about your daily routine?

I find what helps me ( and most people) is to be extremely busy.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Culture View Post
I'm at nearly 9 months and I still get days where I feel overwhelmed with anxiety.
Couple of things which help for me is exercise, eat something and be kind to yourself. It will pass eventually and you will get better at dealing with it over time.

Exercise Exercise Exercise! Join a gym and get into a regular 3 or 4 day routine. Stick with it and you will feel better mentally and most definitely physically. Everybody gets the blues so that is part of life however with exercise you can deal with it better.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank u all for the responses. I am an avid
exerciser (bike 20 miles/week, yoga 3x/week, accompanied by some hiking and
Weight lifting). I also eat pretty clean (real food, no processed food) and I actually teach stress-reduction classes (meditation, deep breathing, mindfulness, and tapping). I KNOW all this stuff works. I get worried when I'm doing all the right things and still have waves of anxiety. For some reason last nite felt overwhelming. And then I woke up this morning feeling great. It helps to share difficult times and ask for help. There is so much power in that connection. Thank you all so much for helping me thru a rough patch. I just have to remember that I can ride the waves and things will even out. You have all been a huge help. Thank you again and much love to you all.