Notices

Stopped taking librium

Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopped taking librium

I did call my doctors helpline, talked to nurse and waiting for dr to call me back. I’m not asking for medical advice but would appreciate hearing other people’s experiences...

Been sober for a long time but last Saturday night I drank two bottles of wine, slept most Sunday but couldn’t keep down food or liquids so went to ER Monday night, got fluids and a prescription for Librium.

The Librium made me feel insanely drunk. I can eat/drink (not booze, mostly juice and Powerade) and have to use the restroom at least once an hour but I feel so intoxicated and can hardly walk on this Librium when I took it Tuesday through Thursday so I haven’t taken any today. But I’m worried about stopping taking it. Have already gotten plenty of sleep and not feeling sleepy so can’t sleep it off.

Anyone else have issues with Librium and just stopped taking it?
Old 05-11-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share. Hope you hear from the Dr soon tho.

D
Old 05-11-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

when i was admitted to the ER mental health facility of the hospital i was confined for 4 days for suicidal attempt they gave me librium.

it was the worst thing ever two weeks after stoping it i feel after drinking a bottle of wine bang my head broke my eyebrow woke up in bed blood all over the pillow the bathroom i don't remember what happened.

still my eyebrow has no hair in the corner and i have a concussion in there that pains me black and blue and a boll in there that hurst.

librium is dangeraeus be careful.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have no experience to share. Hope you hear from the Dr soon tho.

D
After waiting over an hour for a call-back the wonderful doctor I talked to told me if I was concerned about the way I was feeling to go to the ER (where I’m sure they’ll just give me fluids, perhaps a prescription, then tell me to contact my regular doctor). I said “wow... thanks for the great advise” and hung up.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyandsober View Post
when i was admitted to the ER mental health facility of the hospital i was confined for 4 days for suicidal attempt they gave me librium.

it was the worst thing ever two weeks after stoping it i feel after drinking a bottle of wine bang my head broke my eyebrow woke up in bed blood all over the pillow the bathroom i don't remember what happened.

still my eyebrow has no hair in the corner and i have a concussion in there that pains me black and blue and a boll in there that hurst.

librium is dangeraeus be careful.
You fell 2 weeks after you stopped taking it? Why do you say it’s dangerous?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i was not okay it lingers it made me feel odd when drinking i was drunk easily i had no balance i was so sad afterwards still suicidal
Old 05-11-2018, 11:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it was bad my mind was not there but muddle its not good its prescription for a porpupose but its dangerous
Old 05-11-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might not have been the advice you wanted, and it's probably not the greatest example of bedside manner or patient care, but hitting an ER is still always an option, Katzen.

There's always a risk in stopping some meds cold turkey and I'd think Librium is one of them.

You can assume what an ER might do for you and dismiss the idea - but because you don't know for sure what the difficulties might be, can you know for sure?.

I'm guessing not?

D
Old 05-12-2018, 01:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's pretty much standard procedure when going into the ER for alcohol related issues is for them to give you fluids, monitor your vitals, then send you on your way with some anti-withdrawal meds to self detox at home.
The meds are very strong and when taken when they really aren't needed, will make you feel extremely zonked out and sedated.
I know when I drank after periods of sobriety, I would get extremely sick, like my body was NOT having it with putting the poison back in after it was long cleared out.
Alcohol withdrawal also lasts for about 4 days, and since it's been nearly a week since your episode, I think it's pretty safe to say you are in the clear in that regard, plus they usually only prescribe about 4 days or so worth of meds.
If you are concerned, I would take their suggestion and call your primary care doc and at least speak with the nurse.
Also take this as a major wakeup call of the "fun times" you get to experience if you drink again.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
That's pretty much standard procedure when going into the ER for alcohol related issues is for them to give you fluids, monitor your vitals, then send you on your way with some anti-withdrawal meds to self detox at home.
The meds are very strong and when taken when they really aren't needed, will make you feel extremely zonked out and sedated.
I know when I drank after periods of sobriety, I would get extremely sick, like my body was NOT having it with putting the poison back in after it was long cleared out.
Alcohol withdrawal also lasts for about 4 days, and since it's been nearly a week since your episode, I think it's pretty safe to say you are in the clear in that regard, plus they usually only prescribe about 4 days or so worth of meds.
If you are concerned, I would take their suggestion and call your primary care doc and at least speak with the nurse.
Also take this as a major wakeup call of the "fun times" you get to experience if you drink again.
That’s always my experience at the ER, they just want to check that you’re not dying and send you home. (Been to ERs dozens of times, had anemia all my life and would get lightheaded and know I needed a transfusion ASAP).

Oddly tonight I can’t sleep, been up around 30 hours and feel wide awake (had little caffeine, one can around 12 hours ago).

I don’t think I’ve ever been that sick from drinking but I agree it was a wake up call and probably my body’s way of telling me to stop and never again!
Old 05-12-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Katzen,

Ime...regardless of half life (Librium can be 200 hours), there are the brain effects that last for years.

All I experienced was booze healing. I heard here, that recovery from booze and meds is a hell on earth well worse than booze alone.

I still feel anxious etc. these days, but I have come so far from my earlier days.

I remember feeling like I was going to collapse at work standing in front of the boss. I would have to lean on the desk sometimes. That was just one problem of 100's that went away after this time being this clean.

Many folk, including me, have other mental health issues, diagnosed or not, that booze medicated. Now clean, I have to figure other ways to deal.

Addict for life.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Librium is a benzo that acts on the brain the same way alcohol does...hence the reason it can prevent seizures and other nasty parts of withdrawal because your brain is faked out essentially. So yeah, its a potent drug that can make you feel 'drunk'. Combined with alcohol it can be very dangerous.

Your story is a bit memorable because of how sick you got after one drinking session....I get that however. You have no tolerance and it was 2 bottles that you drank quickly so you got alcohol poisoning.

My experience has been that once I am out of the woods with respect to detox (3-5 days) I am able to stop any benzo use (I don't like Librium, I use Ativan) without repercussions. That is my experience. I have also halved the dosage.

Call your GP and ask for an apt. Otherwise don't drink and hang in there.