Notices

Gorillas don't play by rules (as per Nonsensical)...

Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gorillas don't play by rules (as per Nonsensical)...

I loved this line that Nonsensical gave in a thread to someone struggling here. Idea being that fighting addiction is like being in a boxing match with a gorilla. But gorillas don't play by rules!

So much wisdom and wit on these pages, this one deserved it's own thread says me.

Thank you Non! I'm going with that the next time my AV gets going - no thanks man, I'm not getting in the ring with a gorilla.

Happy Friday SR, here's to a sober sober weekend.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been jumping into the boxing ring of life everyday for most of my existence. I realize that I developed this fighting mentality in my childhood. My home life was tough. I was the youngest of 4 boys and two nonexistent parents. If I didn't fight, I didn't get my needs met. I continued the fight, hearing the bell ring each morning, and entering my days as if my life depended on it. Then toss the opponent of alcohol into the ring and the fight is lost.

When I stepped out of the ring, and realized my survival 'fight' mechanism was long obsolete, life got much easier. Its there if I need it, but I don't need to lead with it!
Old 05-11-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That’s a great mental image to use when the AV starts to chatter. Don’t get in the ring, and if you find yourself duped into getting in then get out of there sharpish!
Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah all true guys!!
Like a lamb to the freakin slaughter!
There's no analysis or reasoning or intelligence that can square up to the big G and win!!
Just don't go there!
It's effects are pulverising to an addict... Temporary short lived gratification that's the part of the bout where the Gorilla is somehow charming and alluring but then the gloves come off and it's too late!
Like wandering into the wrong side of town for excitement and stimulation then realising ones trapped and in real danger!!
It's the mermaid sirens to the sailors all innocent and safe and ooh La la then the realisation this is not what it appeared to be at the outset but the complete opposite!!
A worm infested hideous silver back's raging pool of control disempowerment and slaughter!!!

Don't get in the ring!!! yeah frickle wise words indeed!!
I too grew up in a kind of domestic war zone! That reality has long since ceased but I'm still feeding the misery!
I'm out of hospital now been home around 9 hours I have codeine meds two types of anti biotics one of which states clearly no alcohol it's dangerous!! The pharmacist went to extra lengths to warn me of The dangers she said drink on these pills and you will be in real peril and admitted back in here really poorly!!
I'm not drinking On them but my gorilla is saying do it the buzz will be exciting!!
Crazy ****!!
G
Old 05-11-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gorillas can't speak G.

Don't engage - why would you engage with something that will use you up til you're dead?

don't give your baser instincts any attention - or power.

will it be uncomfortable. yeah - it will probably make you cranky too - use your support and reach out when you need to.

Making a definite action plan can't hurt either.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 05-11-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love that Dee... Gorillas can't speak!! Made me laugh!!
I'll check the link thanks!!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Boxer

Talking

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I loved this line that Nonsensical gave in a thread to someone struggling here. Idea being that fighting addiction is like being in a boxing match with a gorilla. But gorillas don't play by rules!

So much wisdom and wit on these pages, this one deserved it's own thread says me.

Thank you Non! I'm going with that the next time my AV gets going - no thanks man, I'm not getting in the ring with a gorilla.

Happy Friday SR, here's to a sober sober weekend.

Hey, I like that!!
Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

- bump -

Non - after reading about your recent decision to drink I went back to some old, some very old, posts of mine looking for where you had contributed. There were a lot of times that you said things in the most direct, funny and yet caring way - I remember always seeing that photo of a RAV4 or whatever next to your post and knowing it was going to be something that effected me and would have value.

Thinking about you tonight brother. Hoping that you are back here for good. It would be so easy, and so terrible, to allow your recent decisions to drink to take you away from this place (where you've made such an impact) and away from the sober life you had made for yourself.

Get the f back on track. We need you and you need you.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Thanks Brother.

I'm not going anywhere. You are stuck with me and my analogies for life.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even though I live in England one of my biggest fears is grizzly bears so I imagine one of them in the ring. Thanks for the post and bump!
Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

“Gorillas don’t play by rules”

Thank you lessgravity for bumping the thread you wrote and Nons for writing the proverb in the first place. I know this metaphor will help me in the future. It’s perfect. Just perfect.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So much love and laughter in this thread. Lovely to see the care displayed and the relationships between people. Glad we are going to be stuck with your analogies, Non.