Notices

Day 2

Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

I managed to get through the first day with almost no withdrawals. I was a little hungover this morning but it passed. I spent the day in bed reading posts, now with a clearer mind I'm beginning to remember why I drank so much. I am not sure I will make it in recovery because everything in my life up until now has failed. That and the post traumatic stress of a difficult life.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

welcome to day 2

Originally Posted by Laura3 View Post
I am not sure I will make it in recovery because everything in my life up until now has failed. That and the post traumatic stress of a difficult life.
There are more effective ways to address trauma than drinking.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Laura. The AV is at work here convincing you that failure is your only option. Rubbish! You can succeed, get well and live a wonderful life. Lots of people have PTSD and dont drink or have been alcoholics and stopped. You need to stay sober and get some help for the PTSD. Help is out there. Now tell the AV to feck off and take back control. Stay close. Wisging you all the best with day 2. Xx
Old 05-10-2018, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is going to be more complicated than simply not drinking
Old 05-10-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've decided attempting to recover would be a waste of time as at this point it would be nearly impossible to accomplish. It would be easier to get a degree or win a marathon than to deal with issues I have never been able to resolve. My new plan is to minimize the negative effects of my anger and addictions
Old 05-10-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Nothing is impossible. The only thing that is a waste of time is not trying. If you started jogging today, you may win a marathon a year from now...maybe you won't...but a year is going to pass anyway. Wouldn't you rather at least try?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Laura3 and welcome to SR.

I have PTSD from a traumatic life and I'm not drinking. Sometimes it really sucks dealing with some of my problems. But I know that my problems would be compounded if I were drinking.

I hope you make it to Day 3.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes one thing I've learned from this is I am fine without drinking. I will start with drinking less, taking days off sometimes. Maybe I will make it to day 3, maybe not. I've already struggled through so many battles I don't have it in me to recover long term.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You had it in you to reach out and post on an SR forum. You must have some intention to recover long term.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not thinking clearly. I'll wait a few days before I make a decision
Old 05-11-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've decided attempting to recover would be a waste of time as at this point it would be nearly impossible to accomplish.
Says who?

Welcome Laura and I genuinely hope that you decide to give sobriety a good crack of the whip. I think I can safely speak for lots of people here at SR - massive buckets of s**t have been poured over us in the past. And sometimes in the present too. My point is that the s**t will still be there if you continue to mask it with booze. I hope that you find the help that you deserve to move forward instead of ever decreasing circles. SR was an extremely wise choice to make. Love and best wishes, Yix x
Old 05-11-2018, 02:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've decided attempting to recover would be a waste of time as at this point it would be nearly impossible to accomplish. It would be easier to get a degree or win a marathon than to deal with issues I have never been able to resolve. My new plan is to minimize the negative effects of my anger and addictions
In my experience the longer I left quitting drinking, the harder it got to quit.

Alcoholisms a progressive thing.

I had life long issues to deal with too - one of the reasons I'd never dealt with them was because I drank to escape them.

With a few months sobriety I was amazed at how capable and clear headed I was.

It's not magic - some of my issues still took a long time and hard work to fix - but I never could have done that as a drinker.

Don;t talk yourself out of the game before you've played a match Laura. It'll be ok - the task may seem enormous but we tackle it day by day, just like the rest of our life

just focus on not drinking today

D
Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope you stick around Laura. Change really is possible, so many inspirational examples of recovery here. I’m also at a very early stage, but it’s getting better one day at a time.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm starting to think more clearly. I might make it
Old 05-11-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Take drinking off the table.

There's enough in all our lives to deal with already.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR Laura. You WILL be able to do this. You aren't going to feel this way forever. Keep forging ahead. One day at a time. The cravings will come in waves, but ride them out. They won't hurt you - a drink will. Hang in there. .
Old 05-11-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know I can do this, I've gone long periods of time without drinking in the past. The doubts are creeping in though, how long will it last and what other self destructive habits will I pick up as a replacement? I've switched addictions many times. Sometimes I would tell myself to keep drinking because it's better than the other things I have done.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Addiction never goes away. It needs something to feed on. Some people quit to become sex addicts or food or money addicts. There's no cure for addiction
Old 05-11-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Where are you getting all your "wisdom"?
I think some of your thinking patterns need to be adjusted so you don't get stuck in negative thinking patterns. Stop digging yourself into a hole.
Hope you feel better.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have to make a better plan, see a doctor, get support. My thinking patterns are getting in the way