Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am nine days in and looking for some community support
Old 05-10-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

This place is loaded with good folks who will be in your corner. Hang tough partner and keep your eyes focused on the prize which is good health and a better life! Proud of ya!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome and you have definately come to the right place! It's a great community of people here with lots of experience and great advice.

You can also join the Class of May thread, lots of us around the same number of days as you (well done btw!!) and we are all going through similar thoughts, feelings and struggles. We help each other through the struggles and celebrate the postives too! xx
Old 05-10-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BDTL. thanks For the warm welcome I’m having a little trouble navigating the site but I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. I love your username acronym and what it stands for— I second that
Old 05-10-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you manta lady for your warm welcome I hope to be able to navigate this soon and put it to good use with all of your help .
Old 05-10-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to have you join us Free2bme888
welcome

D
Old 05-10-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You certainly came to the right place! There will be lots of people who can offer you great advise here, and I have found posting and reading a great way to keep the most important thing front and center in my mind: not drinking.

Congratulations on making a positive change in your life. Feels good, don't it!

Old 05-10-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.

One tip I have for strong sobriety: practice gratitude every day. It makes you happier to be grateful.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
BDTL. thanks For the warm welcome I’m having a little trouble navigating the site but I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. I love your username acronym and what it stands for— I second that
We going to beat this buddy! I finally came to a place in my life where I knew it was time. I have spent so many years of my life putting alcohol first and it really made me a selfish person. I want to be a giver and not a taker. It's a daily walk so let's make it a good one.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to you, good to have you here! The support from this community is great: it’s been a huge help to me. Read around, get a feel for who’s who, ask questions and — this has been the most important thing for me, for sure — listen to what other members have to say, testimony and advice alike.

Sending you all the best.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

Welcome! I'm 53 days sober and I never thought I would get more than 3 days! Nine days is great! congratulations! its really hard I know that for sure but you can do it. Were all here for ya hun. Go to AA it really does help... even just to get out of the house for an hour.. its nice to be among people that are going through the same thing.. I'm not religious so that freaked me out a bit but its really a non issue.. no one forces it at all. It feels like home and the chips are a real motivator.. nothing like the clapping as you walk up to claim each one.. and the feeling to hold a piece of your hard work in your hands is a real reminder.. and a grounding tool to help you when your thinking too much
Old 05-10-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Free2bme888!
Old 12-23-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I want to update everyone and Bump this thread .

I can’t believe it I just can’t believe it!

I am over 200 days 😍😳

I don’t think I’ve been straight for this long since I was a teenager and I am 56 years old.

It can be done folks and it’s getting better. My life is not a bed of roses but it sure seems A heckuva lot better than it was.

I don’t miss :

The shame and guilt after promising myself I would moderate or quit and then not doing it. Realizing that if you have to moderate it probably can’t be done, and realizing that those that don’t have to moderate can do so easily.

The money that I spent

Not being fully present at work or in my family

The extra bloat weight that I carried

Sneaking sips

My red nose

My cracked nails

Wondering how much damage I’ve done My liver

Advice to any lurkers or people reading this post that are on the edge of the fence or are just brand new sober....

I can just tell you what worked for me.

First, the idea to change had to come first. That idea was in my head for about five years. It doesn’t do anything by it self.

So that was the second step is realizing I had to take action. I googled YouTube videos on alcoholism and liver damage and how to stop drinking. I looked up the NIH guidelines on units per week that are safe for a woman

I was at about 85/week. I believe the guideline is seven /week.

I read here a lot and I figured out how to use this site. I found out that there are two different versions one that is on the computer which is the easiest to navigate but also the most bulky and is not portable, and another that is on my cell phone. With the help of my friends here and I figured out how to post pictures and how to get the desktop version site that I saw on my computer on my iPhone. Very important to me. I didn’t even know that you could “like” other people’s posts until about a month or two in.

I slipped 18 days in. Before I knew it five days straight of drinking went by. WTF. I thought I could MODERATE😂

What happened? My boyfriend came over with a bottle of wine and offered me some. Some boyfriend, eh? Not that he made me drink, but so early in my sobriety that was not a good idea to have any wine near me since that was my booze of choice. The other thing that I didn’t do what is post here or read here

So I read here and I posted here and I read here and I posted here.

I slept

I cried

I hated myself for my lost years and bad choices

I forgave myself

I made a big plan

I researched AVRT

I faced the fear of the unknown

And I realized that changing this aspect of my life was not only necessary in order for me to live, but that it would also be uncomfortable at first.

The people here are wonderful and I hope that since you’re here on this site that you use this tool among many others that are available to you to get and stay sober .

And what are those you ask?

AA
WATER
ALANON
AVRT
CBT
WATER
SMART RECOVERY
GYM
NATURE
WATER
GOOGLE
MEDITATION
YOUR BED
NUTRITIOUS FOOD
WATER
YOUR DOCTOR
PSYCHIATRIST
COUNSELOR

All the best!!

Old 12-23-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
under new management

Fantastic update, Free

Old 12-23-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for reading all the way through 2ndhandrose!

I just thought it might be inspiring for those who think it’s impossible to get where I’m at. Just as much as I have fear and hopes and dreams that I can get to one year and five years and 30 years
Old 12-23-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really loved reading this well done man x
Old 12-23-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you, wise one, SW

That means a lot.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Superb summary, Free! I've been having a rough day, and it puts a lot of things into perspective.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Support given

WELCOME!

Keep posting
Old 12-23-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

You’ve come a long way Free! This is exactly what you need to have a the forefront of your mind tonight wrapping presents and not feeling on top of the world. You have so much to be proud of lady, don’t waste your time tonight dwelling on what you have lost or what has gone wrong because you have gained so much and a helluva lotta things have gone right. Don’t forget that and celebrate you because you are worth celebrating xx