Notices

Rock Bottom

Old 05-10-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rock Bottom

Rock Bottom? Does it exist? Sometimes I think there is and it exists, and other times as I read these threads from all the people struggling, I am in doubt.
I ask this because some of these threads are quite honestly horrifying.
If you haven't hit your "rock bottom" then you're screwed buddy!!!
That is regular thinking from regular people that don't have this terrible disease. We've all heard people say that to us right?
LOL my favourite was "Get a Grip on yourself man!"
To me, these threads are everyday life for all of us. I've come clean on the stuff I've done while drunk outta my mind, and the looks I get from those are sheer horror.
But I believe I hit my Rock Bottom, as I am sober, but still very early into it and cautious still. I'm repairing relationships and all that stuff that goes with it. So anyways as I have rambled on and on I ask this question.
Is there a Rock Bottom?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is a very commonly discussed concept here, and there is no textbook definition of "rock bottom". Some people feel they have to reach it before they quit, and some people die before they get the chance. So it's really just a concept more than an event.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

rock bottom is death.cant get no lower than that.
however, people can stop on the way down.some people have the bottom come up and smack 'em.
at which depth they stop varies, which is proven here quite often.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Canuckleman45,

What a great question, I often wonder the same myself. I would say for some people certain events can trigger a rock-bottom level in alcoholism. But it is all up to that person to decide if alcohol has taken enough from them that it cant take anymore so they decide to quit. Moreover, some people,s rock bottom is liver cirrhosis and even death and that is when I think rock bottom is too late. So I do think there is a rock bottom that everyone can hit it just depends where it stops for that person or what stops it for that person.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to skydive. The lowest recommended parachute opening altitude was 2000 feet. That's when you wanted to be under parachute.

After several hundred jumps, it became instinct. In freefall, there is a sense of how close the earth is getting. It may be the horizon or the fact you can make out trees, but there are visual cues/warnings if you will.

One day I had a malfunction of my main parachute. I flailed around under a violently spinning and tangled parachute trying to get it to open - all the while falling through 1800, 1600, 1300 feet.

Finally something screamed danger and I cut it away, and went back into a sickening freefall...spinning. I pulled the reserve ripcord. In that instant, waiting for the reserve to open - I "felt" how low I was. The horizon was way up here.

I was under 1000 feet, less than ten seconds away from death when the reserve opened.

I felt that same cold hand of impending death at the end of my drinking. I could have kept drinking a little longer, maybe. Or I could have ridden that tangled mess into the ground.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's impossible to answer. As it stands my rock bottom was two weeks ago when I ended up in A&E due to a two week alcohol binge drinking 3 bottles of wine a day.

That was my rock bottom which made me decide I no longer wanted or could have a relationship with alcohol.

However if I was to continue to drink, my rock bottom would no doubt make that two week drink binge and A&E look like a walk in the park and I'd ended up in a far worse situation. So really it all depends on when the person says enough is enough.

One person's rock bottom is drunk driving, drinking at work, drinking in the mornings etc, someone else's is overdose, cirrhosis etc
Old 05-10-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like Tomsteve said, I believe rock bottom is when it kills you, dead. Everyone has a different level of "tolerance". When the addiction becomes more than we can tolerate, there's a good chance we start thinking about doing something about it.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me a rock bottom is an event, or culmination of many events, that is enough of wake up call to realize that continuing to drink is going to be more painful than quitting.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As we continue drinking our rock bottom gets lower and lower. Mine was wrecking my car while drunk and suicidal. I don't remember much, but the horrifying impact of hitting a concrete barrier at 80 mph is like nothing I'd ever felt. (It did shock me into a moment of awareness where I instantly regretted what I'd done, though.) I suffered a subdural hematoma and still have issues from brain injury---however I have been sober for 29 months and will never go back to that horrible, hopeless place. I am generally happy and my life is much, much better. The only bottom left for me would be the grave.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member

step 1 12X12

Why all this insistence that every A.A. must hit bottom
first? The answer is that few people will sincerely try to
practice the A.A. program unless they have hit bottom.
For practicing A.A.’s remaining eleven Steps means the
adoption of attitudes and actions that almost no alcoholic
who is still drinking can dream of taking. Who wishes to
be rigorously honest and tolerant? Who wants to confess
his faults to another and make restitution for harm done?
Who cares anything about a Higher Power, let alone
meditation and prayer? Who wants to sacrifice time and energy
in trying to carry A.A.’s message to the next sufferer? No,
the average alcoholic, self-centered in the extreme, doesn’t
care for this prospect—unless he has to do these things in
order to stay alive himself.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuckleman45 View Post
Is there a Rock Bottom?
I don't have to walk far from my office to see lots and lots of rock bottoms.

Don't have to go very far in these boards to find people teetering on the edge of a rock bottom fall.

Seems to me to that most of us know deep down what a rock bottom would look like. Some of us have ALLOWED ourselves to get there, some of us have gotten very lucky and skirted The Fall. Some of us have climbed out of whatever level of the bottom we were hanging on to and stopped drinking.

Amazing how one of the ultimate tragedies in life, that effects so many of us, from so many different walks of life, has the same simple simple simple cure. Just stop.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know but this is what I like to tell others....You can get off the elevator that is going down at any time!! You pick what floor to get off!!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I try not to make comparisons between myself and others fighting addiction. I know that I can go lower as long as I'm alive.

On the outside you would not think that I'm an addict. Nice home in nice upper middle class world. Nice cars. Beautiful successful kid. Health. Stuff. But I consider myself to be a very low bottom addict. I'm just lucky as he!! that I haven't lost all the trimmings. Spiritually I couldn't have gone any lower. I was crushed.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The bottom varies from person to person. Somebody's bottom is lower than others but for you, where is rock bottom? Loss of relationships, lost money, jail, mental asylum? I have had it all. Some people are brighter than I am and the light in their head goes on earlier. I have not been homeless or eating out of dumpsters yet but I know people that have. And I could easily be there. Some died. I could believe that's a rock solid rock bottom.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
rock bottom is death.cant get no lower than that.
however, people can stop on the way down.some people have the bottom come up and smack 'em.
at which depth they stop varies, which is proven here quite often.
Yea this.

I think maybe the only thing worse would be to cause the death of or permanent injury to someone and live. Seems to me death might be just one notch above that.

Everything else is likely manageable to some extent.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My rock bottom was when I woke up sick as hell and knew I couldn't go on that way anymore. That was over 8 yrs ago and haven't had a drop since.