Notices

One year

Old 05-09-2018, 01:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us all, it can be done and it's great to be reminded. Great work and best of luck for your next 365!! x
Old 05-09-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone.
Some of you have asked how I did it. This still feels so new to me, I don't know if I have really good advice. But I'll share how I felt & maybe it will help someone.
I was scared for my life. For some weird reason I took a selfie the day before I quit drinking, I never take selfies. The old bloated face in the picture didn't look like me anymore.
I had been coming here for years before I quit. Reading peoples stories about their struggles helped me immensely. My biggest takeaway from this forum was to just not drink. No matter what. YOU are in charge.
I didn't go to AA or the do the twelve steps. I read a lot of the links Dee would suggest, that helped.
For me it was mind over matter. The first few months I felt so physically horrible that I didn't want to feel that way anymore. So looking back I think that was easier for me than the months I felt good. That's when it got really, really hard.
I am surrounded by alcohol. Most of our friends drink, a lot, my husband drinks. He's limited it to the weekends since I quit. Even my church has alcohol at potlucks. It was everywhere. Like I've said before, I drank everyday for years.
I think it finally clicked when I switched rolls with the alcohol. It didn't come to my front door asking me to party. I was the one that earned the money, got in my car & drove to pick it up. I was going to control it, not the other way around. That might sound kind of dumb, but it worked for me.
Also lots of walks, crying, praying, spur of the moment drives, herbal tea & that beautiful sparkling water. And of course coming here every single day, sometimes several times a day.
I hope that helps. I still feel frail . I don't take my sobriety for granted, ever.
Thanks again you guys. You are the best. P
Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Labatty, huge congratulations on one year sober! That's awesome, and I will definitely remember this: I think it finally clicked when I switched rolls with the alcohol. It didn't come to my front door asking me to party. I was the one that earned the money, got in my car & drove to pick it up. I was going to control it, not the other way around. Alcohol doesn't control whether we drink it or not, that is 100% us.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats 365 days is awesome 👏👏
Old 05-09-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Labatty View Post
Thank you so much everyone.
Some of you have asked how I did it. This still feels so new to me, I don't know if I have really good advice. But I'll share how I felt & maybe it will help someone.
I was scared for my life. For some weird reason I took a selfie the day before I quit drinking, I never take selfies. The old bloated face in the picture didn't look like me anymore.
I had been coming here for years before I quit. Reading peoples stories about their struggles helped me immensely. My biggest takeaway from this forum was to just not drink. No matter what. YOU are in charge.
I didn't go to AA or the do the twelve steps. I read a lot of the links Dee would suggest, that helped.
For me it was mind over matter. The first few months I felt so physically horrible that I didn't want to feel that way anymore. So looking back I think that was easier for me than the months I felt good. That's when it got really, really hard.
I am surrounded by alcohol. Most of our friends drink, a lot, my husband drinks. He's limited it to the weekends since I quit. Even my church has alcohol at potlucks. It was everywhere. Like I've said before, I drank everyday for years.
I think it finally clicked when I switched rolls with the alcohol. It didn't come to my front door asking me to party. I was the one that earned the money, got in my car & drove to pick it up. I was going to control it, not the other way around. That might sound kind of dumb, but it worked for me.
Also lots of walks, crying, praying, spur of the moment drives, herbal tea & that beautiful sparkling water. And of course coming here every single day, sometimes several times a day.
I hope that helps. I still feel frail . I don't take my sobriety for granted, ever.
Thanks again you guys. You are the best. P
Beautifully done.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Labatty View Post

P
I think you’re amazing. And your point about switching roles with alcohol? Blew me away. Like: I’m sitting on the sofa, ignoring post-school requests for toast with my mouth hanging open. The wisdom on this site never ceases to amaze; what a community this is!

Thank you for sharing and massive congratulations on a year sober.