Notices

Confused and depressed

Old 05-07-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused and depressed

Hi
I’ve just turned 44 and recently have become aware that my skin on my face has become increasingly red and blotchy. After reading what effects alcohol does to your skin in the long run I’ve decided to quit drinking. My daily routine would be come home at 3pm, open a bottle of white wine, and by 8pm I’ve drunk a bottle to sometimes a bottle and a half. Most nights I wouldn’t eat but just go to bed, sleep off the drink but would always wake up early hrs, guzzle about three bottles of water then stay awake. Without fail i would then fall asleep after 6am then have to get up at 7am for work. Every morning I felt tired, bags under my eyes and felt so drained. It’s been 22 days sober today, and how do I feel?????
I have better night sleeps and that’s it!!!
My skin hasn’t changed, I feel depressed, I can’t concentrate at work as I feel like I’ve just woken up from a coma, and I’m eating a hell of a lot of fruit! I’m not pigging out on junk food (never have done) but seeing my other half drink and getting drunk every night doesn’t help as he is so mean and nasty and I just feel like crying everyday!
Anyone else going through this?
Old 05-08-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi allie - welcome

A lot of people go through eating a lot and get worried about things like skin blemishes and belly bloat and various mysterious aches and pains...

It's all very normal.

It might just be a case of waiting a little longer to see the results you want. Sounds like you have a great diet anyway.

I'm sorry about your partner - is it an issue when he's sober too?

Rest assured, you'll find support here - you're not alone.

D
Old 05-08-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having a rough time of it. The fact you’re already sleeping better is tremendous; of itself, sleeping properly is a significant step in the right direction in terms of feeling physically and mentally better.

If I can share something that has struck me recently also: for all there are those who immediately feel like Tigger after they stop drinking, there are at least as many who take longer to start reaping the benefits of sobriety. There are lots of variables at play in recovery (age, gender, duration of drinking, physiology, the list goes on and on!) and, unfortunately, there’s no way of predicting ahead of time how you’ll respond. But that doesn’t mean those benefits of sobriety won’t start to accrue given time. Eat well, keep prioritizing sleep and hydration, and I imagine that another three weeks down the road, things will look very different.

All my very best to you. Keep focussing on yourself and your recovery; this is a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;6888691]Hi allie - welcome

A lot of people go through eating a lot and get worried about things like skin blemishes and belly bloat and various mysterious aches and pains...

It's all very normal.

It might just be a case of waiting a little longer to see the results you want. Sounds like you have a great diet anyway.

I'm sorry about your partner - is it an issue when he's sober too?

Rest assured, you'll find support here - you're not alone.

Thanks. My husband is ill tempered when sober but worse when he drinks. Think he has just brought me down over the yrs but I don’t want to end up a raging alcoholic.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the husband is going to be an ongoing problem, it sounds like.

If possible, start detaching from him when he is difficult. His drinking is going to be a problem for your sobriety. Can you go to AA meetings at night to get you out of the house? Or join some exercise group or take a cooking class or something? An ill-tempered, drunk, mean and nasty husband who makes you cry (your words) isn't good.

Sober you'll be able to make some healthy decisions for your life going forward.

The skin and physical stuff will get better. Congrats on taking control of your own precious life.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wynwrights View Post
I’m sorry to hear that you’re having a rough time of it. The fact you’re already sleeping better is tremendous; of itself, sleeping properly is a significant step in the right direction in terms of feeling physically and mentally better.

If I can share something that has struck me recently also: for all there are those who immediately feel like Tigger after they stop drinking, there are at least as many who take longer to start reaping the benefits of sobriety. There are lots of variables at play in recovery (age, gender, duration of drinking, physiology, the list goes on and on!) and, unfortunately, there’s no way of predicting ahead of time how you’ll respond. But that doesn’t mean those benefits of sobriety won’t start to accrue given time. Eat well, keep prioritizing sleep and hydration, and I imagine that another three weeks down the road, things will look very different.

All my very best to you. Keep focussing on yourself and your recovery; this is a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself.
Thank you. x