SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 4 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/427338-day-4-a.html)

Alice50 05-07-2018 12:59 PM

Day 4

Day 4 and back to work. Going to be a loner day. Best tips for winding down after a very long day?
Sleep still not great but will get there.
Alice

DreamCatcher17 05-07-2018 01:03 PM

Great work, keep it up!

Tea, book, movie, cleaning, go for a walk, come here and read, work out, journal, play a game, library, etc...

biminiblue 05-07-2018 01:05 PM

A good nutritious meal and a movie on TV? I always plan my dinner before I get home so I can make it quickly.

AAMOF, I plan my meals pretty much a few days in advance and I try to keep it simple. Whole foods, lots of vegetables, and some protein. 15-20 minutes prep time, 30 to cook, max. Routine is my friend, and I have a lot of daily chores. Dishes, laundry, grocery, dusting, vacuuming, rotating things like windows, floors, and cupboards. It's never-ending, right?

yinzer 05-07-2018 01:39 PM

Come here and read and post if the cravings happen.

Highercall 05-07-2018 01:49 PM

After work cravings

You my friend have hit on a sore point which is what to do after work. Finishing a hard day feeling stressed and passing shops. I have found the hour after work terribly difficult. I have always drunk the night before working and the work hangovers ar very unpleasant that is if I have managed to drag myself out of bed and gone to work!

Midwest1981 05-07-2018 03:01 PM

exercise, hot tea, meditation, hot showers or baths, and reading.

PinnacleOR 05-07-2018 06:52 PM

Day 4 for me too, just posted myself. Rough patches with work but I tagged home base sober. Keep it up, we can do this!

SoberLeigh 05-07-2018 07:06 PM

Well done, Alice. Four days is great.

Have a good meal and then a long, warm, relaxing bath.

Waking up hangover-free on Day 5 is going to feel great.

Renvate 05-07-2018 07:23 PM

Good job on 4 days Alice.

What strikes me to drink is boredom.

every day after work - 2 bottles of wine and i do all my paperwork half cut.

then on the weekend drink in the day and tinker with my car or in my workshop - or go out and get absolutely wasted on a night out with up to $1000 spent and ending up in the most run-down bar ( because its the only thing left open)

Ive been arrested 3 times and woken up in the watchhouse once

ive been surrounded by groups of guys to bash me because apparently something i said - twice now. My poor (at the time) GF was in tears begging them not to bash me.

... all because i was "bored" and all this time ive been justifying that i don't have a problem.

back to the point, in the last 8 days of being sober iam generally taking great pleasure in doing sober people things.

tomorrow, after work at 6 pm iam going to an international language group gathering. Basically, 60 people from different countries sharing stories and getting to know each other. Yes there will be a bar there, but its not gonna stop me because iam there for a different reason..plus i have to drive.

Try going out of your way to break your routine and find some new, sober plans.

Alice50 05-07-2018 08:15 PM

Thanks everyone. I definitely need a new night class to go to. Before I would just come home, drink a lot, sleep. Repeat.
Will get googling.

Renvate 05-07-2018 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alice50 (Post 6888504)
Thanks everyone. I definitely need a new night class to go to. Before I would just come home, drink a lot, sleep. Repeat.
Will get googling.

highly recommended, you have to go out and do stuff, otherwise, you will just go back to it.

I know I will if I just stay at home.

i use this site to find activities in my city. BUT BE AWARE! it has lots of alcohol-related activities, ( pub crawls, social single nights, wine tasting etc)

but its got a lot of alcohol-free things as well, whatever hobby you like it probably has it.

https://www.meetup.com/

Dee74 05-08-2018 03:49 AM

a little counterintuitive maybe but exercise is a great relaxer for me Alice :)

D