Notices

Should I quit smoking?

Old 05-07-2018, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Should I quit smoking?

Hi Everyone. Day 8 here and not feeling to shabby. I am having to keep very busy to fight the AV but are managing to ride through the waves each time. Coming to SR many times a day is really helping me get through this and I have a back catalogue of things I have said and done, losing driving licence, losing jobs, friends etc to refer back to when I get a craving to remind me why I don't want to drink today.

However, I am a heavy smoker too. I smoke roll ups and have done for 30 years. Gave up once for 6 months but pretty much been bang at it the rest of the time. Many attempts at quitting and all failed within an hour of the last smoke.

As I am listening to my body more and taking care of myself in the last 8 days I can feel the effects smoking is having on me so much more. I am coughing and wheezing all the time, my chest whistles while I sleep and I just want to stop.

I am worried that this is too much on top of getting sober? My smoking AV is really strong, it's got it's own way for 30 years at least 20 times a day and when it doesn't get it's own way it fights like hell to get it's own way and it always wins.

I don't want to risk my alcohol recovery in any way but both are addictions and there is something for me in the fact that whilst still smoking I am keeping that addictive part of my brain active.

Has anyone else had to deal with this situation and what did you do?
Old 05-07-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi I'm on day 5 I quit smoking same day as putting the drink down. I now have sugar as my demon!! But I got to say if I'm gonna find the real me and thrive it all has to go eventually! Drink and smoke free is a good platform with which to proceed on a journey of self realisation. I'm also straight into step work and exercise I think my body is wondering what the hell is going on but in a 'thank God at last kind of way'!
Good luck it's all poison at the end of the day to subdue the masses from realising their potential. We're addicted so we're the lucky ones... do or die!!! The majority have the dubious luxury!!
BEST TO YOU !!
Look at the disgusting black diseased lungs a nurse has just put up in the net to show what that crap is actually doing to our insides!! Read that AV the riot act tell it to F off!! Every time it hits me for smoking I own it now !! I've had enough of this insidious BS!!!!
Old 05-07-2018, 02:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks Ghoster and power to you! I have tried all the aversion therapy type of quitting smoking but it just don't work on me. I have read a book by Gillian Riley though and I like her methodology for quitting, it's more around accepting the feeling and craving and owning it, understanding it and for that moment making a decision to not smoke.

I think in my mind I have already made the decision, this post is probably driven by the demon tobacco trying to get someone to agree with it that it is too much on top of getting sober and that I need it for now
Old 05-07-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've quit smoking two days after stopping alcohol.
I have no merit : I was hospitalized for 10 days because of a pneumonia.
For me, I thought quitting cigarette was impossible even by keeping me 10 days in an hospital but it worked!
Mainly because of the nicotine patches they gave me : I didn't have physical cravings at all with them.
They don't work for everybody but they worked for me. Give them a try!
I'll be one year and a half alcohol and nicotine free in a few weeks
Hang on MantaLady, coughing will be almost completely gone in 15 days.
We are here if you need to share
Old 05-07-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 7 of no alcohol ! I also want to stop smoking... But just can't
I'm with you on this one xx
shall we start tomorrow ?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

It's a deal Strawberry!

Everytime I light up I hate it, I don't enjoy any of my smokes but keep on rolling them.

Day 1 nictotine free starting tomorrow!
Old 05-07-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Luckily since I have also decided to go swimming 4 times a week there is an early morning swim session tomorrow between 7am and 9am which means I won't have much time first thing to get all bent out of shape worrying about having my first smoke of the day...or not as the case will be!

Hopefully we can use this thread to give each other some moral support from one smoker who is not smoking to another
Old 05-07-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking and smoking cigs on the same day. I do however vape, low nic level. No wheezing, out of breath, no stinky smell
Old 05-07-2018, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vaping

I think it would be very hard to stop smoking while stopping alcohol it would add unnecessary pressure. My advise would be cut down or maybe start vaping. When you've been 3 mths sober then try to quit.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have still not been able to quit cigarettes, although I tried and made it to a week at about 4 months in. The thought didn't even occur to me to quit when I quit drinking (too many vices to give up at once), but if I had I think it would've forced me to get my diet and exercise on track much earlier on.

I also get no enjoyment out of it now, as I did when I was drinking. And I notice the effects on my body/health much more acutely as you've mentioned. The sooner you can quit the better, but still make quitting alcohol the priority.. if you feel the cravings are too much to handle stick to tackling one thing at a time.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

While in rehab I was told, in no uncertain terms, that this was a bad idea. Nicotine cessation can be physically trying, has health risks, and can lead back to BOTH addictions if you can’t quit both.

If you can do it, great. People have. Just prioritize that not drinking is more important than not smoking!

FWIW I stopped smoking (I picked up a pack a day habit in rehab) shortly thereafter, it was about 100 days after I had stopped drinking,
Old 05-08-2018, 01:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 2 months after I got sober. To be honest smoking was something I had always associated with drinking although once I stopped drinking I initially smoked more. It was really odd but I smoked the last cig from my pack and just decided I was done with it - I realised I didn't enjoy it anymore and it made me feel worse as well as costing a fortune.

I used nicotine gum for a few days but to honest I didn't find it a struggle at all (especially compared to quitting the booze) although I do know of several others who found smoking the harder of the two to stop.

As others have said, make not drinking your priority and don't beat yourself up if you slip up with the cigs. That said, I can promise you will feel so much better if/when you do decide to quit
Old 05-08-2018, 01:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.

I think that after pondering last night and waking up this morning not feeling to strong I just couldn't not smoke. I know I want to give up but as MM noted, I just can't risk my alcohol recovery and the smoking is a 24/7 craving which I will have to manage every waking moment and that might take my eye off the ball of staying sober.

Sorry Strawberry, I got all caught up in the excitiment and moment yesterday but I don't think I am ready just yet. Once I have a month of sobriety under my belt I will re-look at it! Sobriety has to be the priority just for now xx
Old 05-08-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wanted to post this yesterday but didn't want to sound discouraging while you were determined to quit smoking. Here's my experience:

I quit drinking last March. When I did, my dormant sweet tooth came roaring back to life, as it does for many of us. I justified my new-found sugar consumption by saying, "Hey, at least I'm not drinking, dammit!"

Six weeks ago, I finally saw blood test results showing that my glucose was wildly out of control, and drew a hard line in the sand about my diet. I've been sugar free and low carb ever since, losing weight and feeling much better.

I've smoked for 40 years. I know I'm smoking more now than when I quit drinking, and I find it bothersome...but I'm successfully managing two major life changes at the moment, so I'm cutting myself some slack. For me, one huge addiction per year is all that I can handle. Smoking is gross and awful and stupid and everyone knows it, and I'll address it when I'm ready.

But sobriety is the key to any lifestyle improvement; at least for me, that focus had to come first and foremost. I wholeheartedly respect and support your decision to do the same. All the good work goes right down the toilet if we can't stay off the drink...
Old 05-08-2018, 03:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nicotine addiction is another I need support from others in overcoming.

Great thread. Non-judgmental.