Notices

Love and recovery confusion.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Love and recovery confusion.

Hi everyone, I’m new to the whole process of recovery and not sure what it will be like. My loved one is going into rehab for many weeks. I will have a much needed break from the anger, unpredictability, disrespectful behavior and the drinking. I’m getting help my loved one is getting help so it “looks good on paper”. I have no idea why to expect after the rehab. I know about after care dos and don’ts ways to avoid relapse and I am preparing for any physical and financial issues that arise. However, I have no idea how I am supposed to be this loving, caring, supportive person when I’m not sure the love is real. Sure I care as a human being, but the thought of intimacy or real warming and joyous love that used to exist between us is even now a distant memory. Will it return? Or will I have to choose between living with a person under friendly and civil conditions? Or will I have to leave to find love elsewhere? Any experiences losing/finding love after recovery? Thanks for taking time to read. Z
Old 05-07-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Zukunft.
Welcome.
I don’t have experience with rehab, so can’t really speak to it. I’m sure other posters will weigh in soon.
From being on this site for a while, though, I think you can expect with certainty that emotions are all over the place (for both people) in early recovery.
Work your recovery, and let your partner work his.
We can’t know the future. Only time will tell if your relationship will survive.
Peace.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a friends and family section of this website that you may want to check out. I don't have any experience like the one you are going to have, but my understanding is that life/relationships after alcoholism can get complicated. Not saying they will in your case, but be prepared. Your partner will not be the same person in sobriety as they were when actively drinking. Hopefully he will just be a much improved version of his previous self.