Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It’s so easy to stop drinking and that makes it so hard- 550 days sober!

Notices

Old 05-06-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know the title doesn’t make sense so please bare with me and continue to read on.

I was a severely addicted alcoholic who nearly lost his life on more than one occasion and lost my freedom a few times all from my drinking.
If you would like some of further info just read some of my old posts and threads and I can assure they are toned down also for the readers sake and mine. Anyway enough of that old boring warstory stuff and I’ll explain my post.

Iam and was then a pretty intelligent man and I decided that I would research everything I could about alcoholism I read the AA Big book countless times, I read rational recovery, the smart recovery handbook, I Read thousands of post and blogs, I read spiritual Books, religious books, memoirs about alcoholics, I even read medical literature and watched YouTube videos along with all of that i hit AA meetings, tried church and even tried therapy. But I could not stay sober for me than 7 days to absolute max 4 weeks and that was maybe twice in 15 years.

During my final couple of years drinking things got really bad I was putting on weight at an absolute alarming rate and went from a fit 90kg man to an obese 125 kg man and the tiny bit of self confidence I had left was shattered. My mental health was in absolute pieces and I was sucidal. But unfortunately non of this stopped me drinking.

So how did I finally beat an addiction that I was sure was going to kill Me??

Well it’s very very simple I woke up one day and decided that I would finnaly and honestly commit to sobriety and not just commit to sobriety when I was feeling hungover or the law was on my case or my ex fiancé was angry.
I truthfully and wholeheartedly COMMITTED to myself that i would stop killing me and start facing all my issues like a real man and father should. NO EXCUSES & NO MORE ********.

And from that day November 20th 2016 when I woke up after another spectacular hangover and decided I would never drink another drop of alcohol again everythng changed for me.
Now Iam not saying it was easy intact it was a living hell in the first 6 months I was also going through a break up from a 10 year relationship and my anxiety had got so severe I was housebound and could not eat food properly.
But all that didn’t matter because my commitment was so strong that I never thought about drinking to solve my issues.
From my commitment I built my sobriety and committed to being a better version of myself and in this short period of time miracles have happened. I lost 60 lbs, my anxiety is so much better I can function normally I mediate daily work out do yoga have met a fantastic partner who has never drunk and is sober and live in a lovely new house. Life is great. But like every human I still struggle, but the obbession to drink which once followed me around like my shadow has gone and That is true living proof that you can overcome alcolism.

I hope this helps somebody who is struggling who wants to give up and thinks it’s imposible to stop. Just be honest and truly commit to your sobriety and you Too will see miracles in your life.

Onwards

Hercules
Old 05-06-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy for you

Hi Hercules,

Your story is an inspiration to me. I am pleased your doing so well.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post Hercules!
I hope many newcomers struggling pop by and read this. It CAN be done if we accept and commit every day to the job of saving our lives
Old 05-06-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Hercules!! An amazing accomplishment.

Alcohol simply does not work. Maybe there was a time when it did, sort of. But mostly, for me, its chasing a unicorn. Guess I just had to face life after all!!
Old 05-06-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beautiful post Hercules. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your new life.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad to hear you're doing well Herc

D
Old 05-06-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

WOW! Glad you'e doing so well.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome post Hercules. Congrats. You describe very well that the desire to stop MUST come from within.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

From someone on Day 3 who has also tried a lot, thank you!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome work Herc. I went back and read some of your old threads/posts - very impressive stuff. I'm looking forward to getting where you are.

Thanks for posting.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like this post Herc, and I can definitely relate. I think that some people make recovery seem too complicated. Just stop drinking and expect some discomfort along the way. Of course we all need a plan and tools, but don't get too caught up in it all. Tools = anything that makes you feel good/reinforces sobriety. Eventually the cravings lesson and we begin to see why so many others have had success. Lastly, none of this is possible unless we want to quit more than we want to drink. Once we begin reaping the benefits of sobriety, we understand why the choice becomes easy.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hope everyone who has posted a "Why Can't I Quit" thread, reads this.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job Hercules! I’m glad to see you in recovery after so many failed tries. It’s an inspiration to everyone not to give up on themselves and to keep at it until they succeed!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the messages guys I hope my post helps a few newcomers to realise quitting an addiction has to start with honesty and commitment and after that everything will fall in to place if you trust the process. We tend to over complicate everything and it really is very simple!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you, Hercules. You can't imagine how much your post has helped me.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Job well done hecules. Very inspirational