Notices

Functioning Drunk

Old 05-05-2018, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Functioning Drunk

I’m new here. I thought I’d try it out. I’ve been drinking heavy for over 30 years. No drunk driving arrests. No problems at work except one day a month when I binge for the day instead. I have been sober for just over a month now. People close to me told me to quit. Never been to AA and I couldn’t think of a way to stop myself. Then my opportunity came with a broken leg. Laid up with no way to drive and plenty of time to think. I have lost about 20 lbs. I eat better and more often. No exercise. My heart rate dropped 10 bpm to a normal rate. I sleep through the night without snoring or massive heartburn. No more excessive coughing or hacking in the morning, etc. I’m worried that when I do finally get back on my feet I will go right back to drinking. I feel so much better without it. I do have triggers and moments when I want a drink but they do pass. No other withdrawal symptoms though. I have read many stories from others on-line and I thought it might be good to talk about it.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 05-05-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Dan. I was a functioning drunk for many years too: good job, great family, no arrests: I just (thought that I) needed to drink every night. I’m only 96 days sober, but I also don’t want to go back to that way of living. This is a great place to come to, and come to often. The people here are great, non-judgemental, and very helpful. Have a plan for those triggers. Maybe read a few books if you have time, or just browse these threads for helpful information. Best of luck. Stick around!!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Consider joining the Class of May, or whichever one you’d prefer, where many others new to sobriety will discuss their daily battles and victories.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Dan!

Great support and information for you here if you want to stop drinking and stay stopped.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR, Dan. Pleased to meet you.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Dan! A month sober is a great start. I hope you decide to stay sober. It's worth the effort.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

Dan, welcome to the club!

Your 'voice' coming over the internet reminds me of my uncles & cousins. Heavy, lifelong drinkers. Many of them died badly, directly or indirectly from the effects of alcohol. Me, I was a daily hard-liquor drinker for more than 30 years (except a couple of gaps like pregnancy). 'High functioning.'

Life never seemed sweet to me before I quit. Now I'm grateful for it every day.

I hope you stick around!
Old 05-05-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dan

Coming here regularly helped me see that I was better sober. These folks had something I didn't have no matter how high functioning I though I was - and I wanted what they had

welcome aboard

D