Notices

Afraid to go on holiday 💥

Old 05-03-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Afraid to go on holiday 💥

Hey all
I'm doing really good just over four months sober ..
Honestly I've never been happier
I have one little earywig In my ear though and it goes a bit like this

Ok I live in Ireland and as us Irish know the weather is a joke so we tend to take ourselves off to a warmer climate for a week
I'm scared
Abroad reminds me of sun sea sand and WINE!!!!!!!
I'm afraid of the airport
I'm afraid of everything
So I'm just gonna stay home
Does anyone else feel like me
Or am I overthinkin to much
Thanks
Cara❤
Old 05-03-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i think you are wise to respect your early sobriety and not put yourself in situations that you are not quite ready to deal with?? ultimately it will be good to go where you DO associate alcohol and see it/experience it WITHOUT booze, so the "trigger" is defused.

if it helps, i'd love to be in ireland, weather be damned! i live in seattle, we kinda get it.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I you think it'll be too much then by all means put it off til next year when you're stronger...maybe a day trip or two to the UK or France might work?

D
Old 05-03-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I was a little uneasy about going on vacation when I was just getting sober. Since I always go to those all-inclusive places, I asked my doctor to prescribe me some antabuse. It got me through the trip unscathed.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caralara144 View Post
Hey all
I'm doing really good just over four months sober ..
Honestly I've never been happier
I have one little earywig In my ear though and it goes a bit like this

Ok I live in Ireland and as us Irish know the weather is a joke so we tend to take ourselves off to a warmer climate for a week
I'm scared
Abroad reminds me of sun sea sand and WINE!!!!!!!
I'm afraid of the airport
I'm afraid of everything
So I'm just gonna stay home
Does anyone else feel like me
Or am I overthinkin to much
Thanks
Cara❤
absolutely not. You are not overthinking it. Just stay home and be safe. In time, things will open up. Good for you.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My last beach vacation was a disaster. All-inclusive so unlimited alcohol and of course locals selling drugs to tourists are always walking buy. Like Disneyland for alcoholics/addicts. Even if I could afford it, I don't think I can take a vacation. It's like a license for debauchery because I can drink gin and tonic with breakfast and it's seen as normal. I was most excited about all the booze I could drink rather than actually being in a beautiful, tropical locale. You are not over-thinking.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
absolutely not. You are not overthinking it. Just stay home and be safe. In time, things will open up. Good for you.
Agree completely.

I was cautious- some might say overly so- as far as what I did, and how soon, in my sobriety. I never regretted taking a pass on something I "always did" or "everyone did" or whatever- and sometimes I looked back and thought, "hm, I'd have been just fine." Much better that way than ruing a risky choice.

Take care of yourself and your sobriety first.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I feel the same as you. I have a holiday in 4 weeks that was booked last year with my mum. We were estranged for 15 years and only got back in touch 2 years ago so it's a really important holiday for her and I'd feel terrible to suggest we cancel. The weird thing for me is I have always been able to moderate on holiday, never got drunk and could just have one or two with a meal and leave it at that. Although I did used to sneak off for a cocktail mid afternoon and keep that secret.

The fact the only time in my life I have sucessfully moderated is being on holiday scares me to death as that is going to be a very tough AV to ignore. I know I could drink sensibly all week there, but I also know that when I return I will go straight to the shop on the way home from the airport and get a bottle of vino or two and down the lot.

Last edited by MantaLady; 05-05-2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: .