SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/427144-day-1-a.html)

Schizodoc 05-03-2018 07:48 AM

Day 1

So

I made a post last night asking if I was an alcoholic and someone suggested going to a bar and drinking one or two then stopping.

so I went to the pub and spent my last two pounds on a pint of lager. If I had more money I probably would have had four or five.

I woke up this morning dreaming about alcohol and intense cravings, so me and alcohol are done.

:thanks

lessgravity 05-03-2018 07:57 AM

I read your post - no one suggested that.

Pretending that they did, a stranger on the internet making a suggestion would result in you throwing away 10 days of sobriety?

biminiblue 05-03-2018 08:27 AM

Yeah I didn't see anyone suggest that either.

Who cares about the label?

If you want to quit, quit. If you want to drink - you'll find any excuse, right?

I had to be DONE. Capital D. No more experimenting, no more, "just this one," or, "just this one time," no more excuses and rationalizing. Pretty simple. I don't touch alcohol to my lips.

Mac4711 05-03-2018 10:33 AM

Guys,
To be fair - Gottalife suggested that in the ‘10 days’ thread on 5/1. It’s from the Big Book suggesting that if you have doubts you try controlled drinking.

Schizodoc, good for you that you’re done now. Do you have a plan in place to make sure that you’re able to follow through?

lessgravity 05-03-2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mac4711 (Post 6883865)
Guys,
To be fair - Gottalife suggested that in the ‘10 days’ thread on 5/1. It’s from the Big Book suggesting that if you have doubts you try controlled drinking.

Schizodoc, good for you that you’re done now. Do you have a plan in place to make sure that you’re able to follow through?

Got it - seemed so strange.

Does that book really "recommend" that? Jesus.

Schiz - welcome again. How are you doing now?

ScottFromWI 05-03-2018 10:56 AM

Glad you came back Schizo. I see 13 replies to your post last night. 12 of them pretty strongly suggested or flat out said that yes, you are an alcoholic. The 13th recounted an experience a user had and reaffirmed that it was a bad experience. No where did anyone directly "suggest" to you that you should go try drinking. Your AV/Addiction definitely did though.

Having said all that, I believe you have your answer now, which is what's most important - correct?

Dee74 05-03-2018 04:04 PM

Its not my favourite part of the BB but in the pre internet pre TV pre smart phone pre multi recovery choices context in which it was written it makes a kind of sense.

I'd contend - and I have said it before - that anyone who's been looking for and found SR has very likely already tried that test and many others.

I hope that you can make some good from it and draw a line under you and alcohol Schizodoc.

I reckon thats the outcome the writers wanted :)

D

Schizodoc 05-04-2018 04:50 AM

Day 2. Just been paid and didn't drink. Thanks for all of the support :thanks

Rar 05-04-2018 05:28 AM

[QUOTE=Mac4711;6883865]Guys,

I decided to follow an idea I found in the AA Big Book. It says if you dont think you are alcoholic, step over to the nearest bar and try controlled drinking. Have a couple and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. If you are honest with yourself you will soon know the answer.

Good for you - You're done now and that's what counts.

january161992 05-05-2018 01:14 PM

how are you today Schizodoc ?

:tyou

Schizodoc 05-05-2018 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by january161992 (Post 6886058)
how are you today Schizodoc ?

:tyou

still sober. I managed to pay off some debt this month because I'm not saving for drink. Just started clozapine which is already starting to work and have come to realise I was self medicating with alcohol.