Notices

I am done

Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I need all the help I can get. Sometimes I think the forums work better than AA. It is after midnight and I am still reading.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I need all the help I can get. Sometimes I think the forums work better than AA. It is after midnight and I am still reading.
Then perhaps dedicating more of your time to be spent here might help? I think local support is very important too so I wouldn't suggest stopping that.

But if you feel spending time here helps, then carve time out of your schedule each and every day to log on. Make a calendar and literally block off certain hours of the day if that's what it takes.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am not great on the higher power thing. I believe in God but it's limited. I believe in common sense and destiny as well. I do believe in guardian angels though.
good. this is where the BB can seriously help you:
We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

the second step is
CAME to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

we CAME to believe by working the rest of the steps.

HOWEVER
the steps are in order and that first one is extremely crucial.
myself, admitting wasnt enough.
i had to accept.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sometimes I think the forums work better than AA. It is after midnight and I am still reading.
hold on now- the forums are great, but the forums work is only to support and give advise/suggestions/experience. the work is on your part,sweeti.
forum or no forum, people dont stop drinking until they have
-surrendered
-wanted it more than they wanted to drink
- became willing to go to ANY length
- put in the footwork
- were/are vigilant.

some combination of that.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I am not great on the higher power thing. I believe in God but it's limited. I believe in common sense and destiny as well. I do believe in guardian angels though.
Please don't let god part hold you back. And yes, you can start the steps on your own as best you can. I didn't have a sponsor when I first started; I didn't even wait till I got out of rehab to start them.

It only says "came to believe". I had a lot of doubts and questions but I was willing to be open about it so I moved on with the steps. The god thing cleared itself up as time went on and I began to see the results of the step work.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

AA is spiritual but nobody makes you do something you don't believe in. When people share at a meeting God rarely if ever comes up. And you don't need to say the Lord's Prayer at the end. It is for those that choose to do so. I did not always have faith or interest in finding a higher power. As a teenager I went through a phase where I wanted to be saved. No lightning bolt. It did not work. Then decades followed and I did not have any interest in religion, other than I took a class at the university about world religions but it was not because I was shopping for one. Now I am a practicing Catholic. Well, I try to be. Take what you feel is right for you in AA.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

a good rule of thumb is to put as least as much energy into staying sober as we did getting drunk. so if we drank every day, or most days, then we should be willing to take sober actions equally as often. for many that includes attending AA meetings. the unspoken and uwritten suggestion of 90 in 90 is done for that very reason......to REPLACE the regular ongoing drinking related activities with sober/recovery related activities.

sweeti, you put yourself thru hell to keep drinking. give yourself THE CHANCE to really GET the sober thing this time. do whatever it takes. not what is easy, but what is necessary.

I need all the help I can get. Sometimes I think the forums work better than AA

ALL the help you can get.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sweeti - You sound fed up & ready to do this. I had to reach that point, too. For years, I knew what needed to be done, but my heart wasn't in it. Finally, one day I knew I had to say goodbye to the drinking me. I was putting myself in danger, I was miserable, I wanted desperately to be free of it. Being here at SR did it for me - I knew I never had to feel alone again. You can do it, Sweeti.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Sweeti,

I'm so glad you are hear and posting. SR is a great resource, and helped me to get and stay sober. However, it's only one piece, you need to have other parts of a recovery plan to help you through. Sounds like AA has worked for you in the past, definitely give that a chance again.

You can do this, don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. There are programs out there that can help you get those first few weeks under your belt.

For now, spend lots of time reading and posting on here.

❤️Delilah
Old 05-03-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Call the AA helpline. Get a bus to a meeting. Ask someone to take you. I wouldnt procastinate getting to a meeting to be honest!!!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sweetichick, doesn't appear that you've contributed to any other thread other than your own. You've been wrestling with this awhile. what's it going to take?
Old 05-03-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetichick, I found that contributing to other threads helps. Have you ever contributed to someone elses thread, or is this forum your complaint form?
Old 05-03-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

For the record I've seen Sweetichick in other threads today and she's been the member of at least one monthly group thread.

I will agree with you Jeff tho that helping others helps ourselves.

Helping others gave me a purpose and I actually found I had good advice - what I had to work on was taking my own good advice

D