Notices

5 months still going strong

Old 05-02-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months still going strong

5 months.....kind of sad that I still don’t feel good.Fatigued lack of enthusiasm,anxiety though that’s managed by propopanol. Feel like I’m slipping back to that first month,ears have started burning again which normally happens when my BP goes up.Plus side the heart palpitations have finally stopped.The doctor offered anti-depressants last time but really don’t want to rely on tablets too much.Worryingly though I have begun to display symptoms like type 2 diabetes so back to the doctors I go.Did anybody else feel low at this stage will it pass?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have advice for you, but from where I'm sitting your accomplishments are inspiring and beyond impressive! Congrats, and I hope things look up soon I'm sure they will!
Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

5 months is great! And, I'm glad you're talking to your doctor about your health concerns. I was depressed long before I began drinking, so I do take antidepressants, which help level the playing field for me. I hope you feel better.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Livlib View Post
5 months.....kind of sad that I still don’t feel good.Fatigued lack of enthusiasm,anxiety though that’s managed by propopanol. Feel like I’m slipping back to that first month,ears have started burning again which normally happens when my BP goes up.Plus side the heart palpitations have finally stopped.The doctor offered anti-depressants last time but really don’t want to rely on tablets too much.Worryingly though I have begun to display symptoms like type 2 diabetes so back to the doctors I go.Did anybody else feel low at this stage will it pass?
Congrats on 5 months Liv! It took me some time to get back to my old self. Most people speak of not having sleep problems after a few weeks...this was not my experience. I had disturbed sleep patterns at night and felt tired most of the day. It's been only in the last month
(I'm 14 months sober) that I am now getting a full nights sleep. My doctor offered me an SSRI and I have been taking them for about a year. It has helped me immensely!

Hang in there and give it more time.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

5 months is great going. You are doing the right thing by going to the doctor: drinkers, I’d say, lean overwhelmingly towards the ‘benign neglect’ healthcare model (i.e. if you can still lift a glass, why do you need medical help?) Once you stop drinking and feeling permanently sub-par precisely because of the drink, health issues can and do come to the surface. I’m a case in point: nothing massively serious, it should be said, but it could have become so if I’d left it. If you sort any issues, this’ll for sure help you feel better and aid your continued sobriety. All my best to you and I hope you start feeling much brighter soon.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! Try practicing gratitude every day, see if that helps you feel better. Being grateful makes me happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 05-02-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

5 months is so amazing! Congrats on saying no the anti depressant! We as a society have many underutilized natural antidepressants, like exercise, a whole foods based diet, meditation, practicing gratitude and journaling. All of those require setting aside a little bit of time in your day. Maybe some of those will help.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on five months! That's a huge accomplishment.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Liv,

I'm pretty sober too. No meds though. I was a mess for well into 1 year. Everything slooowwwly improved. It is still getting better.

My sleep is getting better ane better. I feel the natural melatonin so strong these days. My wife offered me a bottle of otc melatonin. I almost took some, but decided I want natural sleep.

I take lisonopril for bp. I work out 4 to 7 days a week for about 1 to 2 hours each time. It is great therapy and I am sure is like taking a rx med.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Terrific livlib - congrats

D
Old 05-03-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi there
I have just passed into 4 months and am far from perfect although my progress testingly slow it is generally in the positive direction with some wobbles here or there.

My outlook and positive power mojo is still in need of some vavoom!

If you feel that you have turned a corner and health appears to be going in the wrong direction get to the Dr ASAP for some checks.

I gave up SSRIs before giving up alcohol. They got me through a really dark time so did what they were there for. (Most pills have side effects) some do not even suit the person.

Doctors checks would be my first to find any underlying problem that may be causing the symptoms then fix the problem with Dr advice. Sooner the better.

Well done on 5 months that's awesome 👏