Notices

AV - Fact or Fiction?

Old 05-03-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
So take into consideration your moms mindset and don't take to heart everything she may say to you.
Thanks STDragon, I guess I am still in the early stages and have that selfishness where I think everything is aimed at me or about me or my fault. That is so uncomfortable to say and admit, but you have made me think that other people have their own reasons they react in certain ways and it's selfish to think it's always about me.

Hopefully with sobriety I can start to relearn a little emotional intelligence in these situations in future and not take everything so personally.

Last edited by MantaLady; 05-03-2018 at 04:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There has been alot of enlightment in recent history around mental health, recovery and personal growth that previous generations did not grow up with. Alot of the mindset of older generations is you don't talk about it, you just pull up your socks and go about pretending to be normal.
And that's what I respect oldies for. So much tougher then us younger "give me some sympathy for my troubles please..now give me more"
Old 05-03-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Thanks STDragon, I guess I am still in the early stages and have that selfishness where I think everything is aimed at me or about me or my fault.
That bit reminded me of how I felt, and how I had expected my wife - my best freind of all - to understand. Oh she supported me 100% but I was slow to learn that we were in different worlds when it came to alchohol.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I get what your saying Renavate, I am 45 so not quite a spring chicken haha! I was also brought up by a soldier and having emotional needs or asking for support was just not allowed, I grew up tough but unable to express myself and very intolerant of anyone who showed emotion. My dad was very oldskool and of the "suck it up and get on with it" generation.

It hasn't done him much good, he is an alcoholic too but can't and won't do anything about it even though it is ruining his life. He thinks his emotions are weakness so won't give himself a chance.

My gran who was a total inspiration to me died a few years ago at 93. She had it tough, husband died when my dad and his brother were 4 leaving her alone, my uncle died before he was 30, she never dated or remarried after my grandad passed. She sucked it up and got on with it, she didn't complain. However, we talked when she was about to pass and I realised inside and behind that mask she was desperatly sad and lonely and had been most of her life.

I guess I am saying both generations could learn a lot from each other, neither way is right or wrong

Last edited by MantaLady; 05-03-2018 at 04:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Renvate View Post
And that's what I respect oldies for. So much tougher then us younger "give me some sympathy for my troubles please..now give me more"
There was a lot of silent suffering, as I'm sure there still is now. But Yea, I can't disagree that some expect the world to fix thier problems for them.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That bit reminded me of how I felt, and how I had expected my wife - my best freind of all - to understand. Oh she supported me 100% but I was slow to learn that we were in different worlds when it came to alchohol.
Dragon - yeah I have the same situation. Terrific, loving wife who has the healthiest relationships with alcohol. It's taken a while and sometimes I know she can't really know the depths of this addiction. But we are the lucky ones with that.

Love your Othello quote btw.

Thank you for the tread Manta
Old 05-03-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Is your mom a recovered alcoholic? If not, take everything she says with a grain of salt. "Real" information about AVRT can be found by googling The Crash Course On AVRT
Really like this comment.

No one hears or understands the AV other than addicts, everyone has the inner voice and inner critic but not everyone has the AV screaming at them trying to kill them 24/7...

I realised quite early on in my journey that as well meaning as some others can be, the vast majority of their opinions are worth less than nothing.

Whatever helps you to stay sober is the right path for you.

Be that AA, AVRT or whatever you find along the way.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Your Mom never spoke to me, therefore I don't think she is real.
That is hilarious!

Also, thanks Mantalady for posting. Very interesting thread!