Notices

Hi all, first time on the forum

Old 05-01-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all, first time on the forum

Hello, I'm no amateur when it comes to addiction, treatment, and recovery. I'm an alcoholic, but I've abstained from alcohol of any kind for a little over a year. I had two years sober, blew it, almost died, lost the love of my life to liver disease from her own addiction, then got sober again. I went to 3 inpatients and 2 outpatients during that time, and finally had success.

9 months ago however, while searching for relief from debilitating back pain without prescription drugs, I stumbled into Kratom. It started innocent and small, and was kind of a miracle drug at first. But my tolerance built up fast and before long I was using massive amounts, and going into seriously scary withdrawal if I ran out. I was spending a ton of money I didn't have and I've felt like a complete fool knowing what I know about addiction, and falling for these crazy ideas that kratom isn't addictive. It is, both physically and mentally, and at the doses I've been taking, quitting is not an easy thing to even think about.

But after two hospitalizations for dehydration, malnutrition, and electrolyte imbalances that could have killed me, I have to quit. Now.

My therapist recommended suboxone, as Kratom works similar to an opiate. I've had relief from kratom withdrawal taking prescription opiates or poppy tea so I knew it would have an effect. Tonight was my first dose of suboxone, after waiting until my withdrawal was so uncomfortable I just couldn't stand it (about 24hrs from last dose), and I think this is going to work. I don't feel "high" but I feel normal, and that pit of anxiety and restlessness in my abdomen is gone. I'm not really craving kratom much.

Some people think kratom is a joke compared to other drugs, and I've heard suboxone talked about as overkill for a kratom addiction. Well my use is nothing typical, it's pretty extreme actually. I won't say what dose, but it's a lot more than I've ever heard anyone taking daily. I need an extreme solution.

If you're one of those that understands kratom can be NO JOKE to use or to quit, I'd love to meet ya!
Old 05-01-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I have no experience with kratom but want to welcome you to the family. We also have a substance abuse forum where you might find others with similar problems.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

No drug experience but I do understand yur concern about so called non-addictive medication. It would be nice if they added the words "to most people". See, alcohol is non addictive - to most people.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kratom is definitely no joke. A friend of mine in AA was a heroin addict, stayed clean for a year and then tried kratom. It is just as damaging as heroin. His whole life was nearly destroyed and he almost lost his place at the sober living home. I have no idea why it's legal in our state. It blows my mind. I know everyone reacts differently to it. I was so happy to reach the end of your post to find you're detoxing off of it. That's so awesome. I hope it goes well physically for you and stay strong on the mental front. You know it will be worth it.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alex and welcome

No experience myself but from what I read here, kratom is definitely no joke. I hope the subs work out.

You'll find a lot of support here too - welcome

D
Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, misteralex; very glad you found this very supportive, understanding and encouraging form.

I don't have any experience with kratom; just wanted to welcome you.

Stay close. The folks here really care.