Notices

AA rocks

Old 05-01-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA rocks

Made it to a meeting! The first thing that happened after my sponsor picked me up (I have DUI, no car) was the chairman of the meeting coming to me and looked me straight in the eye. He said "Anna do you want to live or die?". I said I wanted to live. He said that he was tired of me being busted (he is a lawyer and they have access to on line records) and that I should stick around. He is a very pensive guy, not controlling at all, so that took me by surprise. In any case lots of hugs were shared and for those that can't go to AA because it ruins their reputation, a prominent eye doctor was there. He has been sober for a number of years but still considers himself an alcoholic. And he is fully candid about it too, yet maintains a great clinic. Got to love it, such a Southern gentleman. There are good people in AA that have turned their lives around.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rar

Great post Icewater. I'm glad you liked it. Also, I'm sure it will be very encouraging to others who are hesitant to attend.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this, Icewater. I only went to a handful of meetings, but I was amazed how helpful, warm and supportive everyone is. I want to keep going and start working the program, but my anxiety has gotten so bad that I can hardly leave my flat.

Well, now you kinda inspired me so I'm gonna try to make it to the meeting tonight.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The program appears very weird to me but it has been a life changer for lots of people. My sponsor will help me through the steps. I have read the Big Book and once you get over that it was written by alcoholics a long time ago it is quite insightful! Yes do go to the meetings it will be good. Just to get out and meet people in recovery is good.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really like it.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA and the connections I've made from it have completely changed my life in the past 60 days. Utterly grateful. Here's to beginning step 4!
Old 05-02-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I am giving AA another go. I’ve been before and gave up on it after having a problem with a sponsor and decided it didn’t work. Really I just wanted to drink and couldn’t face the music. But I have no choice. I actually just got back from a meeting where I picked up another white chip. It’s increadibly embarrassing for me I’ve been out there so many times. But I never have to pick another one up if I work the program and don’t drink.

Good on you icewater.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's great! I don't go to a lot of meetings , 4 a month. But they are a part of my over all program. Service work is cool too. Just whatever. I don't do service in meetings but I do service for individuals (shovel driveways for an older lady in the winter for example....who in turn taught me how to make a proper sponge cake!). I got connected to her by helping clean up after the meetings. The 'after meetings' are actually where its at.

Btw, ya don't have to be an attorney to see public records (arrests, felonies, misdemeanors...) unfortunately its all on line.....including those lovely mug shots. But ya also never have to tell anyone your last name. So that's just a good tip for further privacy protection....if anyone cares.