Notices

Why can't I get past day 3 ?

Old 05-01-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why can't I get past day 3 ?

I drink easily 375ml of scotch per night. I'm trying to stop this routine. I know I need help.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can walk into any Urgent Care medical facility and get that help. Today. I hope you'll do that.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Bim.

Have a medically supervised detox and then for,ulate a plan for sobriety.

Below is a link to a fantastic SR thread on plans.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA is the easiest option to begin. You can also give a recovery center a call, look into seeing an addiction therapist, whatever it takes. I also would question what is it on day three that makes you choose to drink and look into solutions to stop it.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The link about plans is a good one. What happens at day 3? Is it a physical, withdrawals, thing or is it a mental obsession? Personally, I was obsessed with drinking. That has diminished with time away from my last drink. To maintain my sobriety, I try to focus on improving my mental and physical health, which is good for me and my relationships. Basically, I’m just trying to be a nicer person to my self and to others.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was drinking double that easily on my last year. Quit Saturday. Withdrawals were hell for the first 2-3 days. Is that why you go back? Btw, I would suggest AA.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome dlink
I dunno - it depends on what you're doing to not drink, if you get me?
what kinds of things have you tried?

D
Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can come up with a plan to stay sober. We'll gladly offer our support and experience.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

day 1 - omg what have i done? someone just shoot me.
day 2 - i'm still alive, but barely. this is the last time i'm doing this!
day 3 - dang, i'm feeling pretty good, those two days of "rest" were just what the doctor ordered. a couple of beers won't hurt.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It usually takes more than three days to get the alcohol out of your system, so my bet would be on the phenomenon of craving, something that is activated once alcohol is in the body.

It has been described as a craving so powerful it is beyond the menatl ability of the sufferer to control it. I know it is powerful, I have lost jobs directly as a result of being unable to stop and return to work, once I had taken the fatal first drink.

To get over that hump the best option may be a short term, like a week or so, of hospitalisation, hopefully in a detox ward that AA members call on. After that, an intensive effort at the AA way of life. Those two things together can be a pretty effective recipe for sobriety.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I found the drinking cycle to be three days.

1) Drink and get blotto, 2) next day hungover and swearing to quit, 3) day three feeling better, thought creeping back in, then bam, next day back to day one- drink and get blotto.....

You have to break that cycle. For that you need a plan of action. As a therapist once said to me. You cant keep walking down the same street and expect different results. Walk down a different street... think of some things you can do next time the craving hits and also expect it may be hard for a bit.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

It's Day 3 for me today and whilst I really don't want a drink as such my mind is racing and it's very very uncomfortable. The easiest thing to do would be just to have a glass of vino just to take the edge off it. It's not the alcohol I want more just want the feeling to stop. I can feel that little voice in the back of my head saying "one won't hurt, you won't have failed if you just have one and leave it at that". But I know it won't just be one. The AV is strong and very convincing. It was lurking around on the sidelines the last 2 days but now it want's back in the game!

Day 3 is reality check day for me, it's more scary as Day 1 you are full of regret for the night before, Day 2 you are determined to beat this and Day 3...well that is the day it really sinks in you have a lot of work to do to beat this and it's scary. I have failed before on Day 3 many times, but coming here and reading some of the other peoples experience has given me extra strenghth, understanding of the insidious nature of the AV and a place to realise I am not alone in this.

My plan is to keep very busy today and keep close to the good advice and support from the SR community too! Wish I could offer some better advice but I am still learning myself. Keep strong and keep fighting for you!

x
Old 05-02-2018, 12:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm now on day 6.

I found day 3 very hard. In fact the first 4 days were hell.

You have to get yourself to AA. Go to two a day if you can. Just go and keep your mind off drink. Listen to people's stories aboit how this poison ruins peoples lives. All this helps. Just don't drink. The horrible mental thoughts will pass. Just get yourself to bed or do anything, and I think you'll feel so much better.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Dlink,

How are you doing? Lots of good advice above. Did you get a chance to take a look at the link Leigh sent?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
day 1 - omg what have i done? someone just shoot me.
day 2 - i'm still alive, but barely. this is the last time i'm doing this!
day 3 - dang, i'm feeling pretty good, those two days of "rest" were just what the doctor ordered. a couple of beers won't hurt.
SOOOOO TRUE!!
This is what every alcoholic goes through....EVERY time they stop drinking a few days.
That's why we think it's easier to just keep drinking.