Notices

Howdy

Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Howdy

I've been drinking since my early twenties. It all started during my tour of duty in Vietnam. Lot's of bad stuff went down including my wife cheating then leaving me while serving my country. I've had a few breaks in my consumption although I enjoyed the dulling affect way too much to ever totally give it up. I'm not getting any younger at 67 and something told me it's time to give it up. It's only been two weeks now and I'm struggling hard however I'm determined to make one more day. One day at a time until these crazy withdrawal symptoms are reduced and hopefully eventually go away. I have a hard time in the mornings with the jitters and a nervous feeling . I 'm trying to drink a lot of water to flush the toxic stuff out of my system. Thanks for having me aboard and I look forward to learning from your all.

My first question is how long does it take for the shaky and anxious feelings to wear off?
Old 04-30-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

BDTL, just want to say welcome, glad you're here. It takes a little time but you should start feeling better soon. Stick with it -- it gets better!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had anxiety for several weeks until my brain rewired itself to function normally again.

Glad you joined us! I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey, neighbor.

I've had luck with the herbal supplement St. John's Wort to cure the anxious. You're headed into PAWS(google that) and it's normal.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, BDTL, to SR; really glad you found us.

The shaky and anxious feeling should start to subside soon; a visit to your doctor would likely be wise, though, to discuss your overall health, your symptoms and your desire to achieve lasting sobriety and recovery.

Be patient with yourself as you go through this process. We put our bodies through a lot with our drinking; it will take some time to,heal the damage. Try to eat well; get plenty of sleep; try to work in some gentle exercise to your day; get fresh air each dayand stay well hydrated with water.

Again, welcome.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Thanks folks! I already feel welcome here and no doubt there will be some great support.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ,.... BDTL

It took me a few weeks to lose most of those raggedy jitters . What SoberLeigh mentioned below are wonderful suggestions .
I don't post a lot here , ...but usually carve out some time everyday to read and catch up on our * Monthly thread *

SR begins a new thread every month , ..... mine happens to be April 2014 ,...as that's when I quit for good .

Keep the faith brother ,

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post

Be patient with yourself as you go through this process. We put our bodies through a lot with our drinking; it will take some time to,heal the damage. Try to eat well; get plenty of sleep; try to work in some gentle exercise to your day; get fresh air each dayand stay well hydrated with water.

Again, welcome.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your service! And hang in there, it gets better as you go along sir.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Hey, neighbor.

I've had luck with the herbal supplement St. John's Wort to cure the anxious. You're headed into PAWS(google that) and it's normal.
I've been on Lamotrigine for years and recently put on Lexapro for anxiety. I also take 50 mg of Trazodone to help me sleep at night. I have sessions at the local VA for PTSD with the mental health doc.

I knew it was going to be tough to put it down however I knew it was my time. The emotions and mood swings are pretty tough. I can do this
Old 05-01-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, BDTL. I'm 'older' too, and felt all alone until I found this place. Everyone understands what you're going through. Talking things over here has helped me achieve 10 yrs. of sobriety. Never dreamed that was possible. You can definitely do it!

Thank you for serving. Please stay with us & get the encouragement you need to make this big change in your life.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

FYI BDTL = Been Drinking Too Long
Old 05-01-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, BDTL. You are in the right place for advice and support from people who really understand-- SR has been a vital part of my recovery.
It takes a while to get to feeling better; withdrawals are rough, I know. Are you taking any vitamins? B vitamins may help, since our bodies deplete them (particularly thiamine) while drinking.
Wishing you the best on your sober journey, and thanks for your service.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Welcome, BDTL. You are in the right place for advice and support from people who really understand-- SR has been a vital part of my recovery.
It takes a while to get to feeling better; withdrawals are rough, I know. Are you taking any vitamins? B vitamins may help, since our bodies deplete them (particularly thiamine) while drinking.
Wishing you the best on your sober journey, and thanks for your service.
Thank you! Yea I take a multivitamin every day. I think one thing I have in my favor is I love my gym time. Even when I feel/felt bad from drinking, my love for the high I get from a good workout is refreshing. Now all the hard work I put in the gym will actually be even more positive.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hope it's going ok today for you, BDTL.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hope it's going ok today for you, BDTL.
You folks are really good support. From the looks of it I found myself a good place to call home. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to Newcomers forum BDTL

D
Old 05-03-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't go to a gym, BDTL but I love to bicycle and practice yoga. I take lessons twice a week and all the ladies there are friends and are good for a laugh and for advice. One of them is an active alcoholic who's just gotten over the aftermath of a second dui, and I wish I could do more to help but can really only be a good example. (I'm going on my 29th month of sobriety.) Exercise really helps me a lot and I understand that wonderful natural high from exercise. It's fortunate that I do love cycling since I wrecked my car in Dec 2015 (I was drunk) and can't afford another. As a silver lining I am in great shape and have lost 60 lbs in 2 years; learning to repair my bike has also given me lots of self-confidence. I hope you're having a good day in sobriety.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

BD, this place, these people saved my life. Take advantage of what's here.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for your service. I hope you continue to post and let us know how you are doing.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Today was a bit*ch! Trying to play golf when you are having withdrawals and balance issues plus the twitching while chipping and putting doesn't get it done. I was the only one in my group that didn't win a skin so I was having a pity party in my head. The guy I was riding with stopped by the clubhouse at the turn (first nine holes) and bought himself two beers. He already had a flask he was sipping on prior to stopping at the clubhouse. One of the guys in the other cart bought himself a beer. It was dayummmmm tempting but I'm proud of myself for making it through my day without drinking. I'm tired, stressed, and hopefully will sleep my arse off tonight.. ... Ya'll say bunches of prayers for this tired old vet. So much anxiety today ! This is frigging tough!!

Thanks for listening