Notices

A bump in the road...

Old 04-29-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A bump in the road...

Last night I got home from 4 nights camping with the husband and kids. It's the first time I've gone camping sober and I pretty much underestimated how tough it would be. I had not mentally prepared myself at all.

After setting up camp, on the first day, we head for a walk around the campground (which was pretty much a heap of families with young kids, of similar ages to us)...there were SO MANY people getting around with a drink in their hand. We kept pretty busy most of the time, but at the times we were in the campground I honestly felt like I was just watching other people drink booze for 4 days. It felt like torture. Being out of my usual routine and away from my comfort zone, made it really difficult to keep the AV quiet, and by the 3rd and 4th days it was SCREAMING at me.

Husband didn't help the matter, he happily drank his beer, oblivious to how difficult the whole situation was for me. He's got his own issues with alcohol (that he's in denial about), so this journey has been 100% for myself...but I guess I feel as though I've opened up to him enough that he SHOULD be more understanding and supportive. Perhaps I'm expecting too much. One of the days we were doing the tourist thing, looking around one of the local towns and I suggested we have a quick coffee before heading back to camp. We walk into the restaurant and I said to him 'I'll go order the coffees'...he responds with 'actually can you get me a pint of beer?'. He just doesn't get it. *Sigh*

Anyway...I don't want this to become a whinge about my husband. When I got home last night I had a much needed long, hot shower and used the tools I've developed over the last 6 weeks to fight off the AV. Things are looking a bit better today, although I feel very anxious. Not sure why. Up until now, things have felt much more calm than previous attempts at sobriety. I felt really strong until this trip. Now I feel weak and vulnerable.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Day 43 today.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

great job staying sober on your camping trip. I know that wasn't easy. I have had similar experiences at campgrounds!

You handled it very well though and you should be proud of yourself. I think you are tired from the trip and will probably feel extremely strong tomorrow. That was a big test.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you didn't throw away your 43 days for a lie. Right now it still feels strange but as you are sober longer it won't be such a strain. Altho I must say I do not like being around a bunch of drunks. They are boring, loud, and obnoxious.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, camping is my idea of hell on earth. Throw in company that’s drinking and I’d be on my last nerve! Well done for remaining impervious to the AV: a good night’s sleep, back into routine, and you’ll be feeling much more the thing. And maybe don’t go camping again for a while! Best to you.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on not giving into your AV. Even after being sober over a year, my AV will pop up out of the blue whenever I experience being sober, doing something that I always equated with drinking alcohol. The more times I get past the urge, the less I see Mr. AV.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

43 days is terrific and you did a great job! It does sound like a tough situation and I'm glad you got through it. I underestimated how hard it would be for me to be around alcohol early on, too. But, in my case it was just one night. I'm glad you got through the 4 days.

Feeling vulnerable is not necessarily a bad thing, though I don't think weak applies. You did a great job. And, the vulnerability is something you can use to move forward.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats. I’m not much into camping. Too much work.
Your post reminded me of something: when my alcohol addicted sib was much younger and still had friends, he would go “camping” at a local campground with his friends. Basically, it was an excuse to go drink in the woods.
Think a lot of folks feel that way.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also meant to say that you did great! Keep going.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you stayed strong time2 - congrats!

D
Old 04-30-2018, 02:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((((time2shineagain)))))
Sometimes it is tempting to carry on with life as it was before without fully taking into account that you are in recovery from a deadly disease/addiction.
I think a family camping trip is a wonderful thing to do but it did put you in a position of incredible risk. BUT YOU SMASHED IT AND WERE VICTORIOUS!!!!!!
You can look at this thing 2 ways:
1) That was a little too risky I'm not going to put myself in such danger until I am through the regular craving stage
2) I got through a very risky situation and my sobriety is much stronger for it
Or maybe a little of both........
Either way your precious 43 days are in-tact and you should rightly feel very proud. There WILL come a day when other people (including your husband) drinking will not affect you one bit. Have faith that staying strong during these difficult first few weeks/months will get you to that place.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you for getting through it. It will get easier.

I didn't drink when I camped and we camp a lot. However we camp in bear country, need your wits with habitualuzed bears. There is something very satisfying being the first campsite awake. Camping to me is about resetting your biological rhythm. Waking and sleeping with the sun. Fishing, hiking, biking and swimming. I also am a dedicated tent camper and only camp in off grid areas. We did 4 days last year and no electronics. My kids made it and were too tired when we reached civilization to turn on their devices. It might take some practice and in my drinking days sometimes it was torture, but camping sober is awesome. Plus doing it sober means, camping can do what it is supposed to, reset everything, relax me and rejuvenate me.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on staying sober! Don't let the post-camping trip get into your head. My AV was all about nice job staying sober through that event - time to reward yourself! I fell for that more than a few times...

Originally Posted by time2shineagain View Post
he SHOULD be more understanding and supportive.
Beware this trap, too. I am still working hard at not being a Should-head.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That’s a great job , sounded very difficult I’m glad you made it through.