Notices

New, 8 months sober

Old 04-29-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New, 8 months sober

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I decided to sign up, just because I want to say that it can be done. And your life will be better. 8 months ago I decided to quit drinking and haven't had a drop since. I decided it was enough. I'd been drinking heavily for 5+ years and everything was going downhill.

I did it myself since I didn't know any better. Never knew the risk either, but fortunately it all went well. It wasn't even difficult once the decision had been made. Enough was enough and that was it.

And how wonderful life is. That drunken haze is a miserable illusion. It may seem like everything is better, but even when it feels good, you're not feeling as good as being sober feels. To be able to function. To be healthy. To be happy. To wake up in the morning feeling well-rested.

There is nothing better than being sober. And I hope to be able to help a bit with this post.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

THank you for sharing....

Life is so much better in sobriety. I'm glad you're doing well.

Welcome.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberdutchman36 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

There is nothing better than being sober. And I hope to be able to help a bit with this post.
Very nice post. Thank you so much. Helping me start the day. Welcome to SR
Old 04-29-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome to hear! Glad you came by to share.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing, and congratulations on 8 months! I made it 8 months once, and casually relapsed because I had no idea about recovery. I never want to go back there again.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the great post, and congratulations on your recovery.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Dutchman, and welcome! Inspirational post. I am still in the throes of early recovery/sobriety. How heavy were you drinking when you quit?
Old 04-29-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations SoberDutchman,
8 months is great and your post will really help people. I had nearly 6 months last year but decided I was cured! Been struggling since. Starting again and look forward to getting sober for good. It feels right this time.
Thanks for posting keep it up.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

8 months is awesome, thank you for sharing.

Many of us esteem to get there. Tell us about how you got to where you are.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on 8 months sober!
Old 04-29-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I decided to sign up, just because I want to say that it can be done. And your life will be better. 8 months ago I decided to quit drinking and haven't had a drop since. I decided it was enough. I'd been drinking heavily for 5+ years and everything was going downhill.

I did it myself since I didn't know any better. Never knew the risk either, but fortunately it all went well. It wasn't even difficult once the decision had been made. Enough was enough and that was it.

And how wonderful life is. That drunken haze is a miserable illusion. It may seem like everything is better, but even when it feels good, you're not feeling as good as being sober feels. To be able to function. To be healthy. To be happy. To wake up in the morning feeling well-rested.

What a beautiful, inspirational and fantastic first post, soberdutchman.

Congratulations on eight months. Well done, new friend.

It has been six years since that dreadful night I sat totally defeated on my kitchen floor, slumped against the cabinets, that first glass of wine in my hand at the ready, while repeating over and over and over again "Enough, enough, enough, enough . . . . ." I poured that wine out.

What a difference that night has made in my life! There is no comparison to then and now.

Congratulations on your beautiful new life.

Sobriety

Rocks
Old 04-29-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, soberdutchman, and congrats on 8 months! Life is definitely more manageable in sobriety.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the forum SoberDutchman

D
Old 04-30-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Congrats Dutchman, and welcome! Inspirational post. I am still in the throes of early recovery/sobriety. How heavy were you drinking when you quit?
I was at about 2-3 bottles of red wines and 1-3 sixpacks of beer a day. The only moments I didn't drink was when unconscious. Either asleep or passed out drunk. Wake up, grab whatever was left and stock up for the rest of the day, locking myself in the house. Along with the binge-drinking I would binge-watch series, all of which I hardly remember...

Waking up one day I had a moment of insight that it wasn't a good thing. That I was in a terrible situation. I never saw that before. But after I did, I quit.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
8 months is awesome, thank you for sharing.

Many of us esteem to get there. Tell us about how you got to where you are.
It was the insight that it couldn't go on really. I didn't think much about it. I didn't experience much withdrawal symptoms and didn't know about all that stuff either, so I just didn't pay any attention to it. I just cleaned up the mess and moved on.

Later I learned more about it after a family-member almost died from alcoholism, which is how I ended up here. Googling on the subject.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Soberdutchman - Congratulations on your 8 months of sobriety. Your post was great - thanks for sharing. .
Old 04-30-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It was the insight that it couldn't go on really. I didn't think much about it. I didn't experience much withdrawal symptoms and didn't know about all that stuff either, so I just didn't pay any attention to it. I just cleaned up the mess and moved on.

Later I learned more about it after a family-member almost died from alcoholism, which is how I ended up here. Googling on the subject.
Love this response. I think sometimes I get caught up in the intellectualizing and therapizing of my addiction and miss the fact that in the end it truly just does not serve me in any way, rather it has been and will destroy me. So I need to quit.

Effective simplicity. Much appreciated.