SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New, 8 months sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/426946-new-8-months-sober.html)

soberdutchman36 04-29-2018 02:37 AM

New, 8 months sober

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I decided to sign up, just because I want to say that it can be done. And your life will be better. 8 months ago I decided to quit drinking and haven't had a drop since. I decided it was enough. I'd been drinking heavily for 5+ years and everything was going downhill.

I did it myself since I didn't know any better. Never knew the risk either, but fortunately it all went well. It wasn't even difficult once the decision had been made. Enough was enough and that was it.

And how wonderful life is. That drunken haze is a miserable illusion. It may seem like everything is better, but even when it feels good, you're not feeling as good as being sober feels. To be able to function. To be healthy. To be happy. To wake up in the morning feeling well-rested.

There is nothing better than being sober. And I hope to be able to help a bit with this post.

FreeOwl 04-29-2018 03:35 AM

THank you for sharing....

Life is so much better in sobriety. I'm glad you're doing well.

Welcome.

:grouphug:

wiscsober 04-29-2018 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by soberdutchman36 (Post 6878907)
Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

There is nothing better than being sober. And I hope to be able to help a bit with this post.

Very nice post. Thank you so much. Helping me start the day. Welcome to SR

Numblady 04-29-2018 05:32 AM

Awesome to hear! Glad you came by to share.

PalmerSage 04-29-2018 06:27 AM

Thank you so much for sharing, and congratulations on 8 months! I made it 8 months once, and casually relapsed because I had no idea about recovery. I never want to go back there again.

Anna 04-29-2018 06:57 AM

Thanks for the great post, and congratulations on your recovery.

Horn95 04-29-2018 07:01 AM

Congrats Dutchman, and welcome! Inspirational post. I am still in the throes of early recovery/sobriety. How heavy were you drinking when you quit?

Quit290117 04-29-2018 08:11 AM

Congratulations SoberDutchman,
8 months is great and your post will really help people. I had nearly 6 months last year but decided I was cured! Been struggling since. Starting again and look forward to getting sober for good. It feels right this time.
Thanks for posting keep it up.

lessgravity 04-29-2018 08:30 AM

8 months is awesome, thank you for sharing.

Many of us esteem to get there. Tell us about how you got to where you are.

least 04-29-2018 08:33 AM

Welcome to the family and congrats on 8 months sober! :)

SoberLeigh 04-29-2018 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by soberdutchman36 (Post 6878907)
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I decided to sign up, just because I want to say that it can be done. And your life will be better. 8 months ago I decided to quit drinking and haven't had a drop since. I decided it was enough. I'd been drinking heavily for 5+ years and everything was going downhill.

I did it myself since I didn't know any better. Never knew the risk either, but fortunately it all went well. It wasn't even difficult once the decision had been made. Enough was enough and that was it.

And how wonderful life is. That drunken haze is a miserable illusion. It may seem like everything is better, but even when it feels good, you're not feeling as good as being sober feels. To be able to function. To be healthy. To be happy. To wake up in the morning feeling well-rested.

What a beautiful, inspirational and fantastic first post, soberdutchman.

Congratulations on eight months. Well done, new friend.

It has been six years since that dreadful night I sat totally defeated on my kitchen floor, slumped against the cabinets, that first glass of wine in my hand at the ready, while repeating over and over and over again "Enough, enough, enough, enough . . . . ." I poured that wine out.

What a difference that night has made in my life! There is no comparison to then and now.

Congratulations on your beautiful new life.

Sobriety

Rocks

rascalwhiteoak 04-29-2018 07:03 PM

Welcome, soberdutchman, and congrats on 8 months! Life is definitely more manageable in sobriety.

Dee74 04-30-2018 12:16 AM

welcome to the forum SoberDutchman :)

D

soberdutchman36 04-30-2018 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Horn95 (Post 6879125)
Congrats Dutchman, and welcome! Inspirational post. I am still in the throes of early recovery/sobriety. How heavy were you drinking when you quit?

I was at about 2-3 bottles of red wines and 1-3 sixpacks of beer a day. The only moments I didn't drink was when unconscious. Either asleep or passed out drunk. Wake up, grab whatever was left and stock up for the rest of the day, locking myself in the house. Along with the binge-drinking I would binge-watch series, all of which I hardly remember...

Waking up one day I had a moment of insight that it wasn't a good thing. That I was in a terrible situation. I never saw that before. But after I did, I quit.

soberdutchman36 04-30-2018 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by lessgravity (Post 6879187)
8 months is awesome, thank you for sharing.

Many of us esteem to get there. Tell us about how you got to where you are.

It was the insight that it couldn't go on really. I didn't think much about it. I didn't experience much withdrawal symptoms and didn't know about all that stuff either, so I just didn't pay any attention to it. I just cleaned up the mess and moved on.

Later I learned more about it after a family-member almost died from alcoholism, which is how I ended up here. Googling on the subject.

Rar 04-30-2018 04:00 AM

Hi Soberdutchman - Congratulations on your 8 months of sobriety. Your post was great - thanks for sharing. :) .

lessgravity 04-30-2018 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by soberdutchman36 (Post 6880068)
It was the insight that it couldn't go on really. I didn't think much about it. I didn't experience much withdrawal symptoms and didn't know about all that stuff either, so I just didn't pay any attention to it. I just cleaned up the mess and moved on.

Later I learned more about it after a family-member almost died from alcoholism, which is how I ended up here. Googling on the subject.

Love this response. I think sometimes I get caught up in the intellectualizing and therapizing of my addiction and miss the fact that in the end it truly just does not serve me in any way, rather it has been and will destroy me. So I need to quit.

Effective simplicity. Much appreciated.