So much potential! Still No recovery!

Old 04-30-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Your an alcoholic DD!
I'm not!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

But the steps haven't tackled the trauma
It's the trauma that's 100% driving my behaviour. I know that!

the steps dont say they can tackle trauma.
AA itself says it isnt a cure all for everything and encourages outside help.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm addicted and I cannot use alcohol!
Alcoholic or not it doesn't matter.
I have a destructive life threatening behaviour pattern an addiction which encompasses 1 behaviour and two substances. Alcohol has to go!!
Old 04-30-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djlook View Post
Hello, Ghoster 18.

Are you drinking or not drinking?
I second this question, which you have not answered. Are you drinking?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

No I'm not drinking!
Are You?
If not how long are sober?
Do you sponsor people?
What's your method of recovery?
I'll go check your threads get some info!
Old 05-02-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Of course you don't have to answer my question less
I didn't have to answer yours either just thought it was the decent honest thing to Do!
I'm sober right now! Fyi!
G
Old 05-02-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghoster18 View Post
No I'm not drinking!
Are You?
Do you sponsor people?
I'll go check your threads get some info!
Sorry Ghost, I lost track of this one. Been posting a lot recently, which I always find helpful.

- I'm sober 3 weeks today. Been a long road to get here, as you can tell if you looked up my posts or checked my join date. I've finally crossed the threshold where I am never drinking again. Took a long time, too long if you ask me, lots of failures and suffering and immaturity. I feel lucky to have gotten sober and not lost many things in my life. I know it was only a matter of time, and for me it was coming quick, that I would have lost everything.

Do you sponsor people?
- As you can tell, I'm way far away from that. Which brings me to:

- I found AVRT via Jack Trippeys book to be of incredible help. I read it a couple years ago, and just again this spring. I think the ideas have been germinating in my head for a long time - primarily identifying the desire to drink as separate/disassociated from my self in the form of the AV/Beast whatever you call it.

I enjoy AA meetings and understand their value but I am do not find myself attracted to the permanent recovery model.

I believe I am done with drinking like a someone who quits smoking is done with cigarettes - they aren't in cigarette recovery for the rest of their lives, as much as they have to fight temptation when it comes. They are ex-smokers.

I'm an ex-drinker.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Respect to you less. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm in better shape today. I'm waking up out of the pit!
I'm surrendering to what is and I'm taking action on what I can do to change my life for the better!
This pity pot woe is me victim mentality has to go! It pisses me off in others yet it's ok for me to feed my own demise!
I'll keep checking back
G
Old 05-02-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're feeling better Ghoster

What concrete steps have you taken for your recovery since we talked last?

D
Old 05-02-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post

I enjoy AA meetings and understand their value but I am do not find myself attracted to the permanent recovery model.
actually, AA isnt a permanent recovery model.

We, OF Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics PRECISELY HOW WE HAVE RECOVERED is the main purpose of this book.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
actually, AA isnt a permanent recovery model.

We, OF Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics PRECISELY HOW WE HAVE RECOVERED is the main purpose of this book.
Ah got it. Guess it's just the verbiage of "being in recovery". I've been to a handful of AA meetings, maybe 30 or so, and I've never heard anyone say they are fully recovered or something to that tune.

But I, for one, admire AA/AA goers for the community and the support etc - I get it and think it's great.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Ah got it. Guess it's just the verbiage of "being in recovery". I've been to a handful of AA meetings, maybe 30 or so, and I've never heard anyone say they are fully recovered or something to that tune.

But I, for one, admire AA/AA goers for the community and the support etc - I get it and think it's great.
Yeah..the verbiage of AA put me 'off' for a bit,but once I heard the "take what you want and leave the rest", I was cool. Actually going back to my meeting spot tomorrow for the first time in a while. I also haven't formally taken the 'steps'.. I do that on my own and bounce my thoughts and such off some of the fine folks here. Step 1 was pretty much a 'no brainer' for me though.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Step 1 was a problem for me for years
It's ridiculous really considering the consequences! If I'm not powerless over this stuff then maybe I'm deliberately trying to destroy everything I value and cherish.
Don't think so!
G
I'll check back in response to Dee later today.
Sober G
Old 05-03-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling better ghosted. Sounds like your life is a nitemare and you have tried AA. Got no answers for you except no more loans. It only makes things worse. Try your hardest to stay sober today. Hand it over to an higher power and tell yourself you are ok in this moment.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

as DR pointed out, the take what ya want and leave the rest is pretty nice option.
there are people that feel they are in recovery for life. theres people that say they need meetings more than meetings need them. theres people that say they dont want to find out what happens of they stop going to meetings.
theres people living a fear based program and feel they have to be at meetings, which by the time the steps are gone through, attending meetings should be about helping the next sick and suffering alcoholic.
quite a few sayings/statements go against what the program says and what the program promises.

one small part of the BB that seems to be missed often:
None of us makes a sole vocation of this work(carrying the message), nor do we think its effectiveness would be increased if we did. We feel that elimination of our drinking is but a beginning. A much more important demonstration of our principles lies before us in our respective homes, occupations and affairs. All of us spend much of our spare time in the sort of effort which we are going to describe.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Tradition 5 Tomsteve!
I hear what your saying!
Complicated people have in many cases taken a simple program and confused it's simplicity!
I thrive when I'm in conscious contact with my HP and I've been there many times in my life, way before I even knew anything about SAA and AA!
My problem is not a relationship with a HP it's my relationship to and with myself therein lies the wound!!
Someone said to me today my lovely Mum in actual fact that self esteem comes from outside and self respect comes from within!
Yeah that works for me!!
In my formative years I personally experience countless intrusive abusive boundary violations of myself at tender ages and developmental stages not because I was a troublesome disruptive difficult child but because my sick father was trying to mould me into becoming the person he had failed to be.
It's taken me years of psychological self examination to try to take ownership of myself emotionally. Hence my diving deep into consciousness and the human/spiritual condition that stuff ignites my sky and brings me into an authentic catharsis.
I never needed a program or others for that libraries were like magnets for msg to go explore because I knew my addiction was a spiritual issue. Maybe more the case that it was to be a Spiritual solution to the problem of my addiction rather than me seeing it as a spiritual malady.
I see it as an emotional/identity malady with a metamorphosis through that pain into conscious spiritual contact with my true nature which is love!!
Love in this sense being something that I'm a novice at engaging with!!!
And to answer Dee's question...
Speak to sponsor every day
Doing steps 123 a week on Saturday
Speaking to national debt help getting a plan! I've screwed my credit rating but ive still got my home and my car👍
I lost my job so I'm in touch with agencies hopefully back to work Monday
I'm helping someone else every day
That is also really helping me!
I am going back tomorrow night to my SAA home group.
Life's on the up!
G
Old 05-03-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Ghoster

You can treat my questions as rhetorical if you like - no worries - just as long as you're thinking about what you're doing

It's good to see some action there and some strong intent for imminent future action - follow through, man

D
Old 05-04-2018, 12:54 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Heyoka empath..
A man taller than his shadow!!
I love that!
Went to a blistering SAA meeting last night 15 guys step focused got 5 new numbers
Feel uplifted and inspired.
Going to another one tonight!
G
Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Just back from my local addictions key worker appt.
Got so many resources now to work with
Day 3
Got myself an interview for new job next Saturday
Am having doc and nurse check me over my health checks.
Got a oods free gym membership got my sponsor my HP meetings and step work all combined to make me stay the course.

Happy ghost